News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Any updates on Stouffville double tracking?

The work is delaying weekend service! (As they want to use the weekend to work uninterrupted)

Im curious to know when it will be done.
I'm on that line every day. Crew are doing some prep work from Milliken to Kennedy, e.g. putting up sound barriers, removing vegetation etc. But the actual track laying seemed to have stalled at Milliken for a while now. The whole project is far from fully mobilized. I doubt that we are getting weekend service in June.

The work is delaying weekend service! (As they want to use the weekend to work uninterrupted)

Speaking of the construction on this line, here's the May 4th update from Metrolinx.

Work Performed/Construction Activities:
  • Backfilling utility trenches in between Kennedy road and Steeles Avenue to the west side of the track
  • Dewatering to the northeast corner of Finch Avenue crossing
  • Digging new trenches to the northwest side of Steeles Avenue and southeast side of Kennedy road crossing with a view to installing hand wells in between Steeles Avenue and Kennedy road crossing
  • Directional drilling from Milliken station south end to Passmore Avenue crossing is suspended for today due to drilling rig broke down
  • Assembling crossing panel to the northeast side of McNicoll Avenue crossing for McNicoll Avenue crossing track panel
  • Carried out field concrete tests
  • Gas-Completed gas line termination works except filling two holes up to ground level to the south side of the track
Work Scheduled for This Week:
  • Dewatering
  • Loading and unloading of material
  • Grading works
  • Installing noise wall posts for bar #11
  • Condor installing lunar lights
  • Double handing of ties and rails
  • Beacon utility work
  • Relocating signal cables
WBN3C08.jpg

bdC0PGF.jpg

bDiYrNk.jpg

sCtfZSQ.jpg

And yet there won't be all day service to Hamilton until 2021 because of whatever excuses Metrolinx makes.

Metrolinx doesn't own the tracks west of Burlington Junction. They have to negotiate with CN Rail and the Minister has to give them direction. Also, I think I've read here before that CN prioritize their crews for other CN lines and only recently brought them here to finish some work.

Metrolinx doesn't own the tracks west of Burlington Junction. They have to negotiate with CN Rail and the Minister has to give them direction. Also, I think I've read here before that CN prioritize their crews for other CN lines and only recently brought them here to finish some work.
Frustratinly for me, too....

Let's be fair and spread blame, too. There has been CN grain transportation backlogs that is making CN recticient to negotiate GO increases. It is also why they postponed Lakeshore East 15min service -- that was supposed to start this year according to train driver grapevine and the buzz behind the scenes. It may have also affected WH.

The Metrolinx stretched-thin doesn't help. WH GO needs to be a greater station soon - and deserves to be properly utilized.

At least all political parties will benefit WH GO but not at cost of DT GO -- Ford rumors suggest shutting down train service to Hamilton downtown and simply using WH GO as a stop in the allday 2way Niagara service that Ford wants. But, ugh. Both stations should get service.

Progress IS being done. Glacially, though.

A lot of work has been done. In the north end, the level crossings at Kennedy, Steeles and Passmore have been doubled, with all of the signalwork being close to completed at all of them. It looks like they will be installing the double-tracked level crossing at McNichol in the next couple of weekends, and have much of the signalling ready to go for it. As the ROW has been fully graded all the way down to Agincourt Station, they just need to shift the track over, and in fact have started to shift the track immediately south of Miliken Station.

Further south, they've done a lot of grubbing and some grading just north of Kennedy Station, but aren't nearly as far along as the northern section. On the bright side, they won't have to shift too much of the existing track.

I haven't seen any indication of the work on the stations beginning as yet.

There is no indication as yet that the weekend service won't start later this year as promised in the contracts.

The work north of Kennedy should be done in the next couple of years. The real tell will be the section from there to Scarborough Junction. They are looking to do a separate EA there, and it doesn't look like that section will be doubled until that EA is complete.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

When I last checked, there was still a lot of work going on with underground cabling and fibre. I would expect a lot of grading and fill will happen very soon, once the cabling concludes. So, work is definitely progressing. No sign of work being done to double the bridges over the creek to the south of the 401. I’m guessing that may be one crutical path activity. Assuming the design includes a set of crossovers midway between Scarboro Jct and Underwood, we may see the north end placed in service much sooner than the south end.

- Paul

When I last checked, there was still a lot of work going on with underground cabling and fibre. I would expect a lot of grading and fill will happen very soon, once the cabling concludes. So, work is definitely progressing. No sign of work being done to double the bridges over the creek to the south of the 401. I’m guessing that may be one crutical path activity. Assuming the design includes a set of crossovers midway between Scarboro Jct and Underwood, we may see the north end placed in service much sooner than the south end.

- Paul

There will be an interlocking north of Ellesmere and south of the 401, yes. The other interlocking will be immediately north of Kennedy Station - I don't know if this one is meant to be permanent or is just temporary until the double-tracking of the line further south.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Over the announcement on my Richmond Hill Train this afternoon, it said that Oriole GO’s platform extension “is now complete” and will be opening on Monday, May 7th in addition to the station building closing and new washrooms and ticket booth will open.

All doors will be opening and no more announcements! :eek:

The extension has not opened as of Monday, May 14th, 2018. I'm starting to think the Customer Service Ambassador on my train wasn't suppose to make the announcement.

As for an update, 2 new Presto readers have gone in, extra fencing at the North, railings for the accessible ramp area, and old part of platform repaved.

There will be an interlocking north of Ellesmere and south of the 401, yes. The other interlocking will be immediately north of Kennedy Station - I don't know if this one is meant to be permanent or is just temporary until the double-tracking of the line further south.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Related to the industrial spurs north of Lawrence, maybe?

Related to the industrial spurs north of Lawrence, maybe?

My assumption is that yes, the one located north of Ellesmere will be used as much as anything for accessing the industrial spurs and to allow GO trains to get around any freights switching in there. The one at Kennedy is where the double-track will begin to the north, thus my uncertainty about its permanence.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The extension has not opened as of Monday, May 14th, 2018. I'm starting to think the Customer Service Ambassador on my train wasn't suppose to make the announcement.

As for an update, 2 new Presto readers have gone in, extra fencing at the North, railings for the accessible ramp area, and old part of platform repaved.
It's open!

Frustratinly for me, too....

Let's be fair and spread blame, too. There has been CN grain transportation backlogs that is making CN recticient to negotiate GO increases. It is also why they postponed Lakeshore East 15min service -- that was supposed to start this year according to train driver grapevine and the buzz behind the scenes. It may have also affected WH.

The Metrolinx stretched-thin doesn't help. WH GO needs to be a greater station soon - and deserves to be properly utilized.

At least all political parties will benefit WH GO but not at cost of DT GO -- Ford rumors suggest shutting down train service to Hamilton downtown and simply using WH GO as a stop in the allday 2way Niagara service that Ford wants. But, ugh. Both stations should get service.

Progress IS being done. Glacially, though.
I have to come back to this. I thought West Harbour was supposed to be the main focus for Hamilton Rail Service. And I though off peak was supposed to go through there. To get off peak to the Hamilton GO centre, they have to negotiate with CP and fix the bridge. Why not just West Harbour?

I have to come back to this. I thought West Harbour was supposed to be the main focus for Hamilton Rail Service. And I though off peak was supposed to go through there. To get off peak to the Hamilton GO centre, they have to negotiate with CP and fix the bridge. Why not just West Harbour?
They don't want to abandon stations.

Both stations deserve peak service.
Toronto-Hamilton Downtown-Downtown direct service with DT GO.
Toronto-Hamilton-Niagara intercity commuter service with WH GO.

The political football question of which gets allday by 2025 -- lingers though.

Theoretically, both can get allday of some form by 2041+.

It is possible the business case eventially can build to justify it (e.g. popular usage by StCat students and Niagara-Hamilton work commuters, which is above-and-beyond Toronto tourists and Niagara tourists).

It is a shame that the football is taking long, though.

There is some ball-faking going on, but the ball is going to throw soon.

Even this summer.

Last edited:

Back