News   Jul 12, 2024
 203     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.3K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 895     6 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Give the complexity of building a grade separation while dealing with an existing wide highway, is it safe to assume it could be $150M or so? Just a guess. Also, any speculation on if they would use the method where they build the structure near the highway, close the highway, demolish in a short period of time the road above and remove the soil, and then maneuver the bridge into place, like this?

One of the ideas being floated about was to use a TBM to bore a tunnel while the traffic continued above unabated. Another technique would be to freeze the ground, and then dig through it.

No matter what method they use though, stopping traffic on the 401 above is going to be a non-starter.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

IMG_5792.PNG

Note: My spouse (Alain H. Bureau) is a frequent attendee of many Hamilton cycle meetings, and my spouse is now well-known in SoBiHamilton/CycleHamilton/BikeForMike/etc circles, as well as being a major part of the Hamilton LRT Advocacy run by residents. I think we genuinely can bring traffic to the Niagara seasonal GO train in Hamilton.

(Obviously -- this requires West Harbour to becomes a 'through' station)

Attachments

• IMG_5792.PNG
    IMG_5792.PNG
    673 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
View attachment 124767

Note: My spouse (Alain H. Bureau) is a frequent attendee of many Hamilton cycle meetings, and my spouse is now well-known in SoBiHamilton/CycleHamilton/BikeForMike/etc circles, as well as being a major part of the Hamilton LRT Advocacy run by residents. I think we genuinely can bring traffic to the Niagara seasonal GO train in Hamilton.

(Obviously -- this requires West Harbour to becomes a 'through' station)

I would like if GO converted more coaches to bike coaches. Everytime I use the Niagara train the bike coaches are completely full.

They haven't come to a financial close yet - just picked the proponent with which they will negotiate. I suspect that once they've come to financial close that they will then announce the final pricetag.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Give the complexity of building a grade separation while dealing with an existing wide highway, is it safe to assume it could be $150M or so? Just a guess.

If that cost breakdown becomes public, keep your eye on the contingency. Making any bets on price seems premature. I heard a while ago that knowledge of what was under the 401/409 in that area (how it was supported) was a big question mark. Maybe they have a better idea now, again this was a while ago, but otherwise there might be some significant time and cost risk with this project. Would love to hear from anyone with more recent insider info.

So, not news exactly as the province's press release went out on Friday already, but here's Ellis Don's press release for the same thing:

Toronto Tunnel Partners Selected as Preferred Proponent for Regional Express Rail - Highway 401 Rail Tunnel
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Oct. 23, 2017 /CNW/ - EllisDon Civil is pleased to announce that Toronto Tunnel Partners (TTP) has been selected as the preferred proponent to design, build, and finance the development of an upgraded rail tunnel project by Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx. TTP is an equal partnership joint venture between EllisDon Civil and STRABAG Inc. and was selected following an extensive procurement process which began in September of 2016.

"EllisDon Civil could not be more proud of the Toronto Tunnel Partners," said Max Mantha, VP and Area Manager for EllisDon Civil. "We are eager to expand our work with Metrolinx and help provide Ontario with new and better infrastructure."

The Highway 401 Rail Tunnel project is part of Metrolinx's Regional Express Rail (RER) program to transform the GO Transit rail network and bring rapid, two-way, all-day GO service to the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. Construction of a second rail tunnel under Highways 401/409 will accommodate two tracks, allowing for more frequent GO rail service.

In addition to increasing capacity on the GO Kitchener Corridor, the Highway 401 Rail Tunnel will provide key infrastructure upgrades including footing modifications to the eastbound Highway 409 on-ramp, outfitting of the tunnel with mechanical and electrical support systems, storm water management upgrades and preparatory work for future track installations. Once complete, the project will eventually allow for all-day two-way electrified GO Train service between Toronto and Waterloo Region.

IO and TTP will now work to finalize contract details with financial close anticipated for December 2017. The project is slated for completion in Summer 2021.
I suppose we will find out in December what the cost of the tunnel is.

Because it somewhat relates to track construction, I've posted an article from today on the Milton Line situation in the GO Service thread. See here.

Just got this email from GO Transit:

Maple and Rutherford GO Passengers: This is a reminder that there will be no GO Train service on November 4 and 5 for track improvements. Here are some GO Bus options:

The first bus leaves Maple GO for Union Station at 06:45, and the last at 20:45, serving Rutherford GO approximately 10 minutes later. The first trip back to King City GO via Maple and Rutherford from Union Station is at 11:40, with the last bus at 02:20.

As a heads up, buses may replace trains a few more weekends this year as we prepare for two-way, all-day service coming next year. We'll be sure to update you as soon as the details are confirmed at gotransit.com/schedulechanges.

Thanks for your patience

Nov 3
Hard to say what taking place at Yonge St other than a crash wall being built next to the existing building as part of CIBC project. Its possible that the corridor could be expanded south some what to allow an extra track or 2 in this area which would require a new bridge over Yonge St
38170531781_047f48e656_b.jpg

38170529661_89f6dc98b1_b.jpg

24317833588_b7a48de1e0_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to that, when will they add more PRESTO terminals to Exhbition. Again, there are maybe a half dozen terminals, and quite literally, THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE that enter this station all at once.

They should also consider a second exit for passengers coming off eastbound trains. Nowadays, if you are attending an event, it takes forever to shuffle over the board-walk tothe accessibility coach and then make the right turn under the Gardner towards BMO Field. They could easily add some steps somewhere west of the Food Building that exit onto Manitoba.

Last edited:
...oh, wait, what's that Montreal has, what, 5 universties (6 if you count École Polytechnique de Montréal )
Not sure why you'd count École Polytechnique separetely. It's related to, and on the same campus as the University d'Montreal. However you have missed one - perhaps the Université de Sherbrooke campus right beside the Longueuil Metro station. And Concordia has two campuses quite far apart. George William downtown, and Loyola campus near the Montreal West train station. And 16 large colleges in Montreal, Laval, and Longueuil.

....but sure, 3 in Toronto makes it hard.
4 ... UT, York, Ryerson, OCAD that I can think of offhand.

Not sure why you'd count École Polytechnique separetely. It's related to, and on the same campus as the University d'Montreal. However you have missed one - perhaps the Université de Sherbrooke campus right beside the Longueuil Metro station. And Concordia has two campuses quite far apart. George William downtown, and Loyola campus near the Montreal West train station. And 16 large colleges in Montreal, Laval, and Longueuil.

4 ... UT, York, Ryerson, OCAD that I can think of offhand.
Been a while since I typed that but, if I recall correctly, it was a relatively quickly typed, off the top of my head, response to someone who said Toronto having 3 Universities and a handful of colleges made providing free or discounted travel passes to students uniquely complex.

I apologize for :

a) getting my quick count of Montréal institutions wrong (although the point that there are more than 3 unis stands); and
b) not challenging the individual I was replying to on their count of Toronto unis

Mine was more of a concept post....I guess if I had known it was going to be subject to audit at a later date I would have spent more time on the count or gone with a simpler response like “wait, what, you think Toronto has more unis than, say, Montreal?”

Lesson learned ;) :)

WHEN IS METROLINX GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE TUNNEL AT THE EX?

There are thousands upon thousands of people trying to exit through a few pairs of doors and down a hall that is far too narrow? The supposed tunnel extension was supposed to open in the Fall of 2015 (https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...exhibition-renovation-takes-pan-am-pause.html).

Complete disgrace.
Something is happening behind the scenes, but slowly. Don't know much of the details to be honest, and even if I did, I couldn't say anything.

Nov 3
Hard to say what taking place at Yonge St other than a crash wall being built next to the existing building as part of CIBC project. Its possible that the corridor could be expanded south some what to allow an extra track or 2 in this area which would require a new bridge over Yonge St

It is an alternate driveway for the parking garage going under cibc square phase 1.

Back