News   Aug 14, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 754     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 577     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Are we speaking of The Big Move?
That would be the update version that was due in 2016 and supposed to have the new ranking of project. Supposed to be done every 5 years.

So what maybe #4 in the past could be #9 now or a number #23 being #6 now.

Announcements in August while the Legislature and the media are on holiday seldom contain exciting good news. I didn't see the Minister on the podium at the AMO meeting.

On the bright side, it may just be a tweak to insert the Niagara and Bowmanville announcements which came after the last issue of the plan.

I can't wait to hear what's new with plans for the Kitchener line.

- Paul

Not sure if there is a better thread so please advise if there is. Apparently there's a new Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan and it was shown at the Association of Municipalities of Ontario conference today?

https://twitter.com/SwanBoatSteve/status/897226550743109633

Interesting 'heads-up' on the Belleville underpass and the Don Valley spur. Munro appears to have overlooked the requirements of the Transportation Act that any severance of a line that has not been abandoned must be restored. As to why Aikens didn't know to respond that is a good question...

Btw: I agree with Mlx not abandoning that spur. It is an essential link for later use. I do have to question the vast sums used to rebuild the underpass. Sure it was a kinky bend to get through there cycling, but there were a lot cheaper ways to address that, and have budget left-over to spend elsewhere on cycling infrastructure, which is sorely needed.

Edit to Add: Just occurred to me as to why that 'culvert' was replaced: It was metal, conductive, and that spur has electrification in its future (again, both Munro and Aikins should have known this). Even if there isn't a leak from the catenary to cause a 'floating ground' shock hazard, ground return currents could, especially in a corridor with known high-water problems.
http://www.iti.northwestern.edu/publications/barlo_zdunek/Barlo_and_Zdunek-1995-Stray Current Corrosion in Electrified Rail Systems.pdf

Again though, one has to wonder since that was the site of the old York Mills Rd (Winchester, later Royal Drive) underpass, why was there surprise at finding the buried cut stone segments, and a Roger's cable?

Either the story is a cover, or someone was asleep at the switch on this.

Last edited:
Again though, one has to wonder since that was the site of the old York Mills Rd (Winchester, later Royal Drive) underpass, why was there surprise at finding the buried cut stone segments, and a Roger's cable?

Either the story is a cover, or someone was asleep at the switch on this.

It's common to find old debris (sometimes noxious, even) in excavations. And yes finding unmarked buried cables happens plenty. Same thing happened when CP upgraded the interlocking at Royal York a year or two back.....major telco cable discovered that had to be addressed, forcing redesign and delaying construction.

Check before you dig, etc.

- Paul

"The 4TRANSIT joint venture, comprising three leading Canadian engineering consulting firms, Hatch, Parsons, and WSP (TSX:WSP), is pleased to announce that it has been awarded a CAD $300 million contract for providing technical advisory services for two major work packages tendered under Metrolinx's 10-year Regional Express Rail (RER) Capital Program."​

http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...nx-contract-regional-express-rail-2231100.htm

The dollar value here implies a non-trivial contribution toward RER designs though I'm not sure how. Is it for a technical review of the engineering/design work?

It gets confusing, doesn't it?

The procurement strategy report from last December is here. It projected that approval would be sought for seven major procurement contracts in 2017. One would think that this announcement ties into that. One also wonders how this ties into how Infrastructure Ontario is managing various parts of the RER project. Interesting that the procurement strategy which is said to have been approved in June 2016 does not appear as an agenda item from the archive of the June 2016 Board meeting, so the actual text of the strategy isn't in the public domain. So much for transparency.

This year's ML Business Plan includes this statement:

Primary activities for technical advisors and Metrolinx in summer and fall of 2017 are to:
  • Undertake preliminary engineering in a coordinated manner to prepare reference concept designs for Packages 2 and 3;
  • Prepare initial drafts of the technical contract schedules required to procure Packages
  • 2 and 3, including the project specific output specifications ('PSOS’); and
  • Collect asset condition information data on the GO Transit rail network for the procurement data rooms.

"Packages 2 and 3" refer to "off-corridor" and "on-corridor" work respectively, ie stations and parking versus grade separations track and signals.

I have a funny feeling that this is a grab-bag procurement that authorises ML to job out various technical and engineering jobs on an ad hoc basis - ie a general engineering slush fund. Call me cynical.

- Paul

Request for Qualifications Issued for Lakeshore East – Central Corridor Expansion Project (Infrastructure Ontario)

The RFQ outlines the scope of work required, which includes:
  • Two grade separations - Scarborough Golf Club Road and Morningside Avenue
  • Track and grading work from Galloway Road to Beechgrove Drive (approximately 3.4 km)
  • All supporting infrastructure, including retaining walls along the central segment of the Lakeshore East corridor
  • RFQ closes October 18th, 2017
Link to the MERX page for the RFQ

I may not agree with Paul's cynicism completely, (the case is definitely there to be suspicious about) but I also get an odd whiff from at least some of this.

Here's an example, and perhaps I've 'missed a memo', but when did the funding for these projects shift to the PPP model like the Crosstown? I have absolutely nothing against it...if done right. Curious....
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for interested parties to build and finance the Lakeshore East - Central Corridor Expansion project.

"To build and finance"! Can anyone put a context to that with reference? It may very well have been there all along, but certainly not in the forefront of these announcements.

I was at Rouge Hill station a few days ago and I noticed that the westbound track has brand new rails with concrete ties. Maybe Metrolinx has finally moved to concrete as the new standard.
ConcreteTiesS.jpg

Attachments

• ConcreteTiesS.jpg
    ConcreteTiesS.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 509
I'm just so absolutely shocked I tell you:
Metrolinx pressured to approve GO station in minister’s riding

Documents obtained through a freedom of information request show that ministry drafted press releases to announce stations the agency had not approved
[...]
The documents, which include more than 1,000 pages of emails sent by Metrolinx and ministry officials as well as draft agency reports, show that on the advice of agency staff, the Metrolinx board approved, at a closed-door meeting in June 2016, a list of new stops that did not include Kirby or Lawrence East.

A day later, Metrolinx officials were shocked to receive copies of draft press releases from the ministry indicating that the following week Del Duca would announce that stations the board hadn’t approved were going ahead.

In the ensuing days, following conversations between Metrolinx executives and ministry officials, agency staff revised a board report to support Kirby and Lawrence East.The board then reconvened in public and voted to build the two stops.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...o-approve-go-station-in-ministers-riding.html

Shouldn't we also be concerned that the Metrolinx board originally approved the station list in secret?

Public agencies should have the same rules as municipalities, and should only go in camera to deal with legal issues, real estate negotiations, and HR matters.

Shouldn't we also be concerned that Metrolinx removed all negative comments on Kirby and Lawrence East in their report? We can't trust the agency tasked with coordinating regional transit expansion with providing a fair analysis of transit expansion options.
This is probably fodder for a new forum string, but until that time, fully agreed with both Tron and Master, and we'll pursue this here.

I was just thinking of the Muni Act on this, but even there, compliance with the legislation is still very low, other than a few cases that went to court. I'll dig and reference those later, but the gist is that 'in camera' sessions are still being used carte-blanche.

I'd just written this morning when posting that article and link to a journalist who reports on federal matters that (gist) "In retrospect, McCuaig gets some exoneration on this". McCuaig, of course, moved on to the Infrastructure Bank....where *ostensibly* he won't be saddled with being a patsy. I suspect things were tense before his leaving, as I would be if I were him. I have no proof of that, but credit to Spurr for applying for the FOI and exactly quoting the emails.

What will become of this? Good question, and it would be reckless to project at this time...but I suspect some serious accusations of wrong-doing to come out of this...and the Metrolinx Act (and another that escapes me at this time) won't give cover to. Does Il Duce have ultimate power? No....and I wonder what hoops and hurdles Spurr had to go through to get the info under FOI?

We're going to be hearing a lot more on this....

Back