News   Jul 16, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 437     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Took the Barrie Line today and saw the progress at Downsview Park GO Station. They've paved the east side platform from just south of the accessible mini-platform to the southern end, and installed 2 shelters on that stretch. The platform snow melt system looks like it's in place on the accessible platform and north of it, and they've poured concrete pads for 3 more shelters to the north. Looking great!

25 second video of the platform at https://streamable.com/0pcju

Took the Barrie Line today and saw the progress at Downsview Park GO Station. They've paved the east side platform from just south of the accessible mini-platform to the southern end, and installed 2 shelters on that stretch. The platform snow melt system looks like it's in place on the accessible platform and north of it, and they've poured concrete pads for 3 more shelters to the north. Looking great!

Never knew the platform extends onto the Sheppard bridge. I guess the reason they are not building 2 platforms is because the bridge is not currently wide enough?

I find this odd. Presumably, with its subway integration, this would be viewed as a comparatively major station at some point. Yet the design underwhelms.

Metrolinx has put out visions of Agincourt and Rutherford stations fully roofed over w/fairly elaborate and attractive designs, but here we have a GO platform that appears rather plain, and 'of the 80s vintage'.

That seems illogical and inconsistent.

Not that I was expecting a full roof here, the design for this station pre-dated the RER vision.

But I had in my mind more elaborate canopies at any rate.

It certainly speaks to how the design standard for GO stations has expanded in the recent years since TYSSE design was laid down.

In this case, seeing as the full GO station amenities are built into the Subway station, and are 'hidden' below grade, I'd say this is more than the 1980's fare, and meets the needs sufficiently.

I agree that GO platforms ought to have full platform length roofing over them. Full arched roof is a bit rich, however.
Some of the other recent designs are pretty grandiose IMHO.

The speed at which ML is churning out these designs is in contrast to their glacial pace in getting on with track improvements. Beautiful stations and no track helps no one, whereas more track and modest stations may not be esthetically leading edge but would get the job done. Check out Princeton Jct or Elizabeth NJ for basic no-frills designs that have served travellers well in a high volume regional corridor for over a century.

- Paul

I believe downsview park is supposed to have a full length roof, and like all Barrie line GO stations (eventually) it will have 2 platforms, they just started with this one.

Never knew the platform extends onto the Sheppard bridge. I guess the reason they are not building 2 platforms is because the bridge is not currently wide enough?

They are eventually building a second platform, hence the second entrance on the other side of the railway. They're just waiting until later to do that, because (A) it's not going to be needed anytime soon, and (B) it's not within the scope of the TTC's project.

Are they using asphalt for the platforms, why are they still using asphalt for the platforms? Also what sense does it make to build a bare bones station now and then in a couple of years time have to inconvenience riders again to rebuild it?

As I posted in the subway thread, there is a platform on both side of the 2 entrance for TTC to service GO and space for a 3rd. I believe the plans has shown the parts of GO 2 platforms on the bridge. The current track is close to where it will be the centre track aka 3rd.

If plans stay the course, you will get a chance to see the platforms of what there is in Oct when TTC has a round of open houses for all the new stations. Have no dates other than what was stated to us in Jan.

This the Shot I took Jan 23 and you can see ramps will be used between TTC and GO
32380280651_0b4d845bd9_b.jpg

The May 27 shots
35265635302_4e66042cc1_b.jpg

35265636222_661ed62479_b.jpg

As I posted in the subway thread, there is a platform on both side of the 2 entrance for TTC to service GO and space for a 3rd. I believe the plans has shown the parts of GO 2 platforms on the bridge. The current track is close to where it will be the centre track aka 3rd.

If plans stay the course, you will get a chance to see the platforms of what there is in Oct when TTC has a round of open houses for all the new stations. Have no dates other than what was stated to us in Jan.

This the Shot I took Jan 23 and you can see ramps will be used between TTC and GO

The May 27 shots

According to the roll plan [75MB file] for BRCE TPAP, the Sheppard bridge is clearly not wide enough for a second GO platform. Page 23 mentions "Proposed new bridge structure" over Sheppard. I presume they are building 1 full platform now, and at the very least a second mini-platform (accessible), but not a full second platform. There is only 1 track going through it anyway.
This project's scope is to expand the Sheppard bridge, in order to accommodate the second platform, although it may not include the actual platform - just bridge widening.

According to the roll plan [75MB file] for BRCE TPAP, the Sheppard bridge is clearly not wide enough for a second GO platform. Page 23 mentions "Proposed new bridge structure" over Sheppard. I presume they are building 1 full platform now, and at the very least a second mini-platform (accessible), but not a full second platform. There is only 1 track going through it anyway.
This project's scope is to expand the Sheppard bridge, in order to accommodate the second platform, although it may not include the actual platform - just bridge widening.
I can't tell you which entrance will see service, but from what I saw, work was partly done for both entrance on May 27 and well advance from my Jan visit. They had the doors close both visit and hard to see north out the window. On May weekend, they had a section of the track removed and doing concrete work just to the north on the main entrance for TTC where the track was remove. This is one project of a number that I am not following.

I expect until the corridor is double track, the track will be shifted to one side for both direction with one side being used if service is to start in 2018. Its possible service to the station will not happen until everything is double track.

If I remember correctly, the bridge only support 2 tracks with a possible 3rd and years ago when I saw it. If I Have time, I will look for the photo of it.

The bridge will have to be expanded for a 3rd track and platform based on this over 10 year old shot
6608848227_de36af325b_b.jpg

Last edited:
PT-2017-CLW-050 - ENABLING WORKS AT CONFEDERATION GO RAIL STATION

RFP.ca Item #: 397902
Solicitation #/ID: PT-2017-CLW-050
Category: Construction
Posted: 07.29.2017
Expires: 08.21.2017

Description
Open Construction Services PT-2017-CLW-050 - ENABLING WORKS AT CONFEDERATION GO RAIL STATION ConstructionCall For TendersTender No. PT-2017-CLW-050 ENABLING WORKS AT CONFEDERATION GO RAIL STATIONMetrolinx is accepting Tenders for the Construction of enabling works at the Confederation GO Rail station.A Mandatory Site Meeting will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 8th, 2017 at located at 185 Bancroft St. Hamilton, ON, L8E 4L4.Parking is available on site. Full PPE is required for all attendees.Failure of Bidder to be present and registered from the time the meeting is called to order until the meeting is adjourned will result in disqualification from bidding.Each Tender must be accompanied by a bid deposit in the amount of $200,000.00 in the form of a bid bond or certified cheque payable to Metrolinx.ELECTRONIC BID SUBMISSION will be accepted until 2:00 p.m. on Monday August 21, 2017.***NOTE: ELECTRONIC BID SUBMISSIONYour Submission for this opportunity must be sent to [...] Metrolinx

What type of work will be done for this? Any chance it'll include building more track between West Harbour and the Confederation site? Maybe Mark has a sense?
Here's the viewable list of documents -- via a metrolinx.merx.com free account.

(Costs $40 to purchase to download all)

IMG_4287.PNG
IMG_4288.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_4287.PNG
    IMG_4287.PNG
    377.1 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4288.PNG
    IMG_4288.PNG
    393.5 KB · Views: 399
Not sure what the point of another plan since the last one just got ignored and transit planning was hijacked by politicians.

The last plan also simply quilted together all of the disparate separate plans of all the involved municipalities with, honestly, little thought to how each would integrate with the other.

Back