News   Jul 15, 2024
 784     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 926     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Local community meeting on Lakeshore East widening.

LMAO that first picture is hilarious.

"TRAIN? Now where did that train come from? How dare it encroach on our property!!"

*Ignoring the fact that those train tracks were there before these people were even born

LMAO that first picture is hilarious.

"TRAIN? Now where did that train come from? How dare it encroach on our property!!"

*Ignoring the fact that those train tracks were there before these people were even born

Thing is tho, nobody is saying those things. Seems area residents (or Nimbys) get painted with an awfully negative brush on public forums, often for nothing more than wanting their voices heard in transportation projects. If groups like these result in, say, more attractive and naturalized embankments and noise walls, it's a good thing. And a benefit to the city as a whole. I for one would rather real neighbourhood input than what some view as the ultimate scenario: soulless flophouses where "citizens" don't care about their neighbourhood cuz they're too busy watching netflix or taking selfies in their self-contained cruise ship condo's gym.

I am always bemused by these very liberal neighbourhoods raising the same concerns you'd see in hard blue ones. Perhaps they're not so different after all.

“The bottom line is we know we bought properties that had train tracks, [but] we didn’t realize this was going to be a highway for train transport,” said Roberge at her house late last month, as a train went by, pausing the conversation. “So imagine that, every three-and-a-half minutes? That’s not fair. That’s not a viable option.”

Roberge said that she and many of her neighbors are worried about the hit that the service increases would take on their property values, especially as there are no noise or security fences installed in her area on the south side of the tracks.

http://www.beachmetro.com/2017/07/18/residents-seek-solution-rail-corridor-noise-concerns/

Last edited:
Seems area residents (or Nimbys) get painted with an awfully negative brush on public forums, often for nothing more than wanting their voices heard in transportation projects. If groups like these result in, say, more attractive and naturalized embankments and noise walls, it's a good thing.

I'd agree, except for the fact that most often these groups seem to have an agenda of, "Let's make the requirements expensive or cumbersome enough to kill the development." Very rarely are they about actual compromise. Just look at the quote @jje1000 pulled up. It's blatantly clear they find the level of traffic growth unacceptable. They aren't concerned about the aesthetics of the sound barrier.

I am always bemused by these very liberal neighbourhoods raising the same concerns you'd see in hard blue ones. Perhaps they're not so different after all.

Indeed they are. It's easy to talk about high minded principles, until you have skin in the game.

I'd say there's a difference between property owners and non-property owners in these cases. Property ownership tends to correlate more to conservative and NIMBY views in my opinion. It makes sense when we look at historic NIMBY and/or protest movements too. The Spadina Expressway was blocked primarily by homeowners after all. Conversely, downtown and inner city Toronto was once more dominated by renters or poorer property owners. Nowadays the Beaches are pretty rich and I suspect a number of those nouveau-riche are particularly property rich.

With all of the talk now about RER I'm kind of wondering what is the actual purpose of it to me right now it just seems like they are adding extra sections to existing go train lines in hopes that poel will use it. I seems kind of like the Sheppard subway. I relly fail to see how much use it will receive for anyone in Toronto especially if the fare is the same as the existing go train network. For example I live near by both a go train and two TTC stations if I'm heading downtown unless I need to be there soon I always take the TTC even if the trip is longer and I have to change trains. I see little to no benefit to RER stop with in the city of Toronto, they amy help places outside where the is no other options to get to Toronto by public Transport,

I'd say there's a difference between property owners and non-property owners in these cases. Property ownership tends to correlate more to conservative and NIMBY views in my opinion. It makes sense when we look at historic NIMBY and/or protest movements too. The Spadina Expressway was blocked primarily by homeowners after all. Conversely, downtown and inner city Toronto was once more dominated by renters or poorer property owners. Nowadays the Beaches are pretty rich and I suspect a number of those nouveau-riche are particularly property rich.
Speaking of the Spadina Expressway, it's ironic, that the properties in question, were all slated to be expropriated for construction of the Gardiner/Scarborough Expressway that was to parallel the tracks from Coxwell eastward.

And they were saved as part of a process that instead promised a rail service every 2 minutes - more frequently than even currently being proposed. Some of the properties were actually purchased the city - such as 38 Wildwood. I wonder if there's a complete list somewhere.

Speaking of the Spadina Expressway, it's ironic, that the properties in question, were all slated to be expropriated for construction of the Gardiner/Scarborough Expressway that was to parallel the tracks from Coxwell eastward.

And they were saved as part of a process that instead promised a rail service every 2 minutes - more frequently than even currently being proposed. Some of the properties were actually purchased the city - such as 38 Wildwood. I wonder if there's a complete list somewhere.
The city is still in the process of selling off old Scarborough expressway lands. They sat on a lot of it for a long while.

Back