News   Jul 15, 2024
 789     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 929     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Posted without comment.

Lakeshore East Rail Expansion Citizens Coalition - https://www.facebook.com/groups/LakeshoreEastRailExpansion

I would give these people an ultimatum: Either we continue with the 4 track installation and with a promise of quiet, local emissions free electric trains, or we continue to use the diesel bi-levels.

Oh whats that? You didn't realize in your ignorance that there will be electric trains? How convenient.

I would give these people an ultimatum: Either we continue with the 4 track installation and with a promise of quiet, local emissions free electric trains, or we continue to use the diesel bi-levels.

Oh whats that? You didn't realize in your ignorance that there will be electric trains? How convenient.
Ironically, there is talk in that discussion of voting Conservative to cancel the project. But with construction on the widening to start in 2018, and with the Conservatives wanting to move people from 905 to downtown, the more likely outcome is that the construction will go ahead, frequencies will increase, but they'll be diesel instead of electric - and kiss goodbye the local station at Gerrard/Carlaw.

Looks like the meeting is public ... I don't think I'll be there, I'd likely have an aneurysm listening to people who bought cheaper houses near the tracks, complain about the noise from switch heaters, and the cancer risk from catenary.
upload_2017-7-13_14-26-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-13_14-26-48.png
    upload_2017-7-13_14-26-48.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
Electrification will definitely improve air quality, but don't expect much satisfaction on noise. Electrics are pretty noisy, although the noise pattern is more amenable to noise wall mitigation because the vents and blowers that the noise exhausts from are mounted lower down. Diesel noise comes from the exhaust manifold, and it's on the roof.....often too high for sound walls to mitigate.

- Paul

Electrification will definitely improve air quality, but don't expect much satisfaction on noise. Electrics are pretty noisy, although the noise pattern is more amenable to noise wall mitigation because the vents and blowers that the noise exhausts from are mounted lower down. Diesel noise comes from the exhaust manifold, and it's on the roof.....often too high for sound walls to mitigate.
I'd be surprised if an electric MU made as much noise as the Diesel engines do, accelerating out of a station. Which is the issue in this particularly area, where the westbound is accelerating out of Danforth GO. You can hear that a long-way-away (not that I think it's an issue).

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if an electric DMU made as much noise as the Diesel engines do, accelerating out of a station. Which is the issue in this particularly area, where the westbound is accelerating out of Danforth GO. You can hear that a long-way-away (not that I think it's an issue).

EMU's are a lot less noisy than electric locos - but - http://railcam.uk/site/ will give you lots of EMU noise samples.

- Paul

Saw what looked like second track construction at the Bradford GO Station. Concrete ties being used.

Actually (and surprisingly), it's not that work.

They are rebuilding the old layover spots immediately north/west of the station. They will be used for 2 6-packs to layover starting later this year.

The use of concrete ties stems from the fact that one of those tracks is being upgraded to mainline track standards using the new Metrolinx track standards (concrete ties on 18" centres, 132lb/yd CWR, resilient and insulated fasteners), even though it won't actually be used as a mainline for several years.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Actually (and surprisingly), it's not that work.

They are rebuilding the old layover spots immediately north/west of the station. They will be used for 2 6-packs to layover starting later this year.

The use of concrete ties stems from the fact that one of those tracks is being upgraded to mainline track standards using the new Metrolinx track standards (concrete ties on 18" centres, 132lb/yd CWR, resilient and insulated fasteners), even though it won't actually be used as a mainline for several years.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Insulated fasteners - is this specifically in anticipation of electrification?

Back