News   Jul 15, 2024
 749     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 907     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The switch at the north end has been taken out but could be restored withiut undue effort. I believe the south end is still connected to the USRC and some short length is occasionally used to store work equipment etc.

- Paul

The switch at the north end has been taken out but could be restored withiut undue effort. I believe the south end is still connected to the USRC and some short length is occasionally used to store work equipment etc.

- Paul
Good chance then that regs require any removed track to be restored, as to leave it removed would require an application and approval from either/or TC or one of the railway boards: (Here's an analog, I'll search for the actual regs later, or Smallspy or someone else might have it handy)
The City of Ottawa is brushing aside concerns it failed in its role as a rail owner when it dismantled a section of tracks near the Prince of Wales Bridge in order to build a new entrance to Bayview Station.

The Canadian Transportation Agency had ordered the city to show by Wednesday why it wasn't in breach of its duty to maintain the rail line when it dismantled about 240 metres of the Ottawa River Line near Bayview Station.

The directive from the transportation agency came after a complaint from Moose Consortium Inc., a group that has had ambitions of offering rail services to outlying communities in Quebec and Ontario.

In a letter to council on Wednesday, City Solicitor Rick O'Connor said while city workers may have rendered some part of the rail line inoperable, it didn't mean the city was discontinuing the line.

City has no intention of discontinuing line
"In light of its clearly stated position, the City has not legally discontinued the [Ottawa River Line] under the CTA, nor does it have any intention of doing so at any point in the foreseeable future," O'Connor wrote.

"The legal 'discontinuance' of a rail line is a concept separate and apart from the physical state and actual usability of that rail line, for present purposes." [...]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-rail-rail-line-tracks-1.4182762

Edit to Add: Here's some detail on the CTA:
Canadian Transportation Agency
The Canadian Transportation Agency is an independent, quasi-judicial tribunal and economic regulator. It makes decisions and determinations on a wide range of matters involving air, rail and marine modes of transportation under the authority of Parliament, as set out in the Canada Transportation Act and other legislation.

We are a federal institution that is part of the Transport and Infrastructure portfolio.
https://www.canada.ca/en/transportation-agency.html

Last edited:
Assuming there is already double track from Union to Aurora, hourly all-day service to Barrie would just take one more passing location. A good candidate may be Innisfil station. However, this is the bare minimum required for hourly service, so it would not support bi-directional service any more frequently than that (i.e. say goodbye to the current half-hourly peak direction service). So we'd actually want to design for half-hourly service, which would require additional sidings at/near Bradford and Barrie Allandale.

It depends what your loading standard is. If your warrant is a packed 10-car bilevel train, then sure, we'd never meet the warrant. But if we only expect a half-full six-car train, then I think that hourly all-day service to Barrie is conceivable in the context of a general increase in rail use for non-commuting purposes due to more widespread AD2W service. The last few departures would be lightly used, just like the existing late-night departures on the Lakeshore line, but they operate to provide a consistent service throughout the day. It's also worth noting that we already have late-evening train service to Barrie on weekends arriving as late as 12:30AM, with northbound departures at 21:50 and 22:50 (arriving Allandale at 23:25 and 00:25 respectively).

Train-operated trips later departing later than 23:00 might be hard to justify given how late they'd arrive in Barrie, but I think the intent of the question was simply to refer to all day service including the late evening. I don't think the point was to propose that 12:30AM be the exact time that northbound departures from Union switch from trains to buses.

Given that we're not talking about peak period services, we're not really talking about commuting trips. For off-peak services, we're talking more about intercity trips, of which there are a fair number between Barrie and the GTA. Compared to some other nearby cities such as Hamilton or Kitchener-Waterloo, Barrie seems to be more interdependent with Toronto.

Besides, the travel time from Union to Barrie is not 2 hours. Current off-peak trains cover Union to Barrie in 1h35, and that's making every single station stop. With RER covering local service from Aurora to Toronto, the hourly trains to Barrie would make fewer stops through that segment, which already puts the travel time below 90 minutes before even considering potential electrification or track speed increases.
I'm late (again), but thank you. Seems metrolinx is dragging their feet, especially since passing tracks don't even cost that much.

I does seem wierd that the track was carefully replaced and ballasted, when it's bolted rail that will have to be torn out and replaced with CWR before ML runs anything through here. Are they actually maintaining this line in hi-railable, if not train-capable condition?

- Paul

Contract was to replace like with like. Considering that the line, when last used, was rated for 10mph a LOT of work will need to be done before any passenger service can be run on it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just passed Exhibition and noticed about 30 or so GO and Aecon employees (as per their hard hats) at the station. Looked like they were doing some kind of inspection or assessment. Lots of clipboards. They looked more like people on the engineering/project management side rather than construction workers.

The info from the City on the trail's potential (and long-overdue!) reopening says: "The rail line above the new Belleville trail underpass has been replaced, which is a Metrolinx requirement for potential future use of the rail corridor " It does seem VERY odd as the rest of the track is clearly in need of repair and I think the High-Level Bridge @ Brickworks has been condemned (for trains anyway.)
On a related topic, there's some hoopla about Ottawa ripping out a section of track.

From a regulatory perspective, it seems Toronto went "better safe than sorry" route, while City of Ottawa went the wave-off "it's only a temporary rip-up, we're still protecting the corridor" route.

Today while riding the LSW back from Toronto, I noticed a brand new mountain of fresh ties along the Metrolinx Canpa Sub where it meets the LSW Line. There were a ton of them, which is strange because as I posted previously, most of the Canpa Sub track has already been upgraded to continuous-weld rail.

One hunch I have is that these are for a new connection to the LSW Line. Currently, the double tracked Canpa Sub drops down to one track where it connects to the LSW Line. Maybe Metrolinx is now creating a dual track connection? If so, that is yet another indication of a serious use for this line in the future. I'd love to hear any other ideas you guys may have! Sorry, pics aren't that great.

WVtRy9b.jpg

0kGGlS2.jpg

CN rewired the Canpa interlocking a few years back, when the fourth track was extended from Mimico East to Canpa. At that time, the old two track junction with the Canpa Sub was cut back to one track and the crossovers on the Oakville Sub were moved around. I don't know it for a fact, but from drawings I was shown, I would be very surprised if that reduction could be reversed without rebuilding the entire interlocking yet again. It's more likely that the new hand throw switch where the two Canpa tracks reduce to one could be powered with CTC extended to control that connection.

These days, switches are delivered and installed as prefab 'snap track' kits. It is very unlikely that the arrival of a pile of ties would be the first step in a new switch installation. Either there is more tie replacement planned for the Canpa, or that spot just happens to be a convenient place to stockpile ties for some future project. I would guess the latter.

- Paul

Today while riding the LSW back from Toronto, I noticed a brand new mountain of fresh ties along the Metrolinx Canpa Sub where it meets the LSW Line. There were a ton of them, which is strange because as I posted previously, most of the Canpa Sub track has already been upgraded to continuous-weld rail.

One hunch I have is that these are for a new connection to the LSW Line. Currently, the double tracked Canpa Sub drops down to one track where it connects to the LSW Line. Maybe Metrolinx is now creating a dual track connection? If so, that is yet another indication of a serious use for this line in the future. I'd love to hear any other ideas you guys may have! Sorry, pics aren't that great.

WVtRy9b.jpg

0kGGlS2.jpg

Your hunches are incorrect. They are doing a large tie-replacement programme on the Lakeshore West line this summer, and the ties have been delivered there to allow them to stage the work equipment for loading and unloading.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Email update from the Scarborough-Markham email account for the upgrades/expansion to the Stouffville Corridor:

-------------------------

Construction Update for this week

Work Performed/Construction activities:
  • Pumping out water to the west side of track in between McNicoll and Passmore Avenue
  • Making an access ramp to the north side of Passmore Avenue in the corridor with a view to start digging to the west side of rail track.
  • Drilling and installing wall posts in between Steeles Avenue and Kennedy Road railway corridor
  • Testing concrete on site

Work scheduled for this week:
  • Traffic control flagging
  • Improving the soil conditions, including the hardening of soil, between McNicoll and Passemore Avenue, and Steeles and Kennedy
  • Sub-excavation of soil in between McNicoll and Passmore Avenue

upload_2017-7-11_11-49-21.png

Allandale25, you're accidentally using "mail.google.com" image URLs.
Can you upload them instead to UrbanToronto?
Very interested in seeing the images!

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-11_11-49-21.png
    upload_2017-7-11_11-49-21.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 432
Not sure why that's happening. I can see them when I look at the post. Nevertheless, happy to provide. The images came embedded in an email so they are very small unfortunately.

2uaCV4e

os56c5x.jpg

2tKaTKS

2sMucSt

Allandale25, you're accidentally using "mail.google.com" image URLs.
Can you upload them instead to UrbanToronto?
Very interested in seeing the images!

Not sure why that's happening. I can see them when I look at the post. Nevertheless, happy to provide. The images came embedded in an email so they are very small unfortunately.
Nice images, thanks!

When you use your computer mouse and mouseover the elements, you'll see your images are hosted by "mail.google.com". But not everyone can see them.

If you switch to gmail.com and click "Logout" (all accounts) then come back to this thread, and then click Refresh, your images will become broken. The images you posted are only visible (only to you) because you are currently logged-in into GMAIL.

If you copy and paste images from another source, it's often better to use "Copy Image" and paste images individually (which uploads them directly to UrbanToronto, rather than trying to refer to the original host)

It's a technical gotcha on this forum (solved via copying images via right click, "Copy Image", individually rather than text+images all at once from an email message)

Posted without comment.

Lakeshore East Rail Expansion Citizens Coalition - https://www.facebook.com/groups/LakeshoreEastRailExpansion

I can see some logical comments especially on the engineering side but there are still those Nimbyers who will do anything to delay or stop progress. Sorry guys but this project will happen and needs to happen
For those who feel slighted because of personal discomfort, you are just selfish jerks that are ruining it for millions of others. Feel free to move out if you dont like it or if you think your property will devalue (the opposite will probably happen).
The charter allows you free speech and also free mobility. USE IT and get out of there!

Back