News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Dan, do you have a source for the double tracking statement? Ian Wilson's Allandale book has a copy of the ETT from June 1954, and it doesn't show any DT. I'm not aware that it ever had DT....although it certainly had lots of service tracks, so the clearances were mostly there.

- Paul

According to contemporary reports of the opening of the line, it was built as double-track if not in whole but in great stretches.

I had thought that it was singled with the installation of CTC in the early 1960s, but apparently that was wrong - in which case, I don't know when it would have been single-tracked. Possibly as a make-work project in the 1930s, or when the line was standard-gauged in the 1870s or 1880s?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Maybe the overcharging of Metrolinx can help bring to bear an overall investigation (and ultimately rethinking) of CN business practices and associated railway legislations.

AoD
I don't know if I'm more or less cynical than most on this string, but my hunch is that nothing will ever come of that, as nothing ever has with VIA being screwed over the years. The default answer is to just own your own track. Whether Metrolinx then screw themselves (read us) instead is another matter.

As to electrification...huge sigh...interesting theory. I remain highly cynical. We keep getting sold dreams, and willingly buy them. If Metrolinx committed to using what is now or imminently surplus stock to cobble together a conventional all day frequent diesel service on the Bramalea to Union stretch, I'd have faith that even greater utilization will come with time, but every time I look out my window and walk or ride the West Toronto Trail, the incredible wasted capacity of the corridor strikes me.

Effective political leadership in this province is almost completely missing. Looking on the upside, the corridor does host many crickets, and I hear them chirping in the silence.

WHEN they scale back RER they will conclude they don't need electrfication, and they will jump at avoiding that investment.

I might regret being so cynical as the day progresses, but I just don't see or sense any progress on the electrification front. I fully expect the scenario you describe as being probable more than just possible.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm more or less cynical than most on this string, but my hunch is that nothing will ever come of that, as nothing ever has with VIA being screwed over the years. The default answer is to just own your own track. Whether Metrolinx then screw themselves (read us) instead is another matter.

As to electrification...huge sigh...interesting theory. I remain highly cynical. We keep getting sold dreams, and willingly buy them. If Metrolinx committed to using what is now or imminently surplus stock to cobble together a conventional diesel service on the Bramalea to Union stretch, I'd have faith that even greater utilization will come with time, but every time I look out my window and walk or ride the West Toronto Trail, the incredible wasted capacity of the corridor strikes me.

Effective political leadership in this province is almost completely missing. Looking on the upside, the corridor does host many crickets, and I hear them chirping in the silence.

Effective federal leadership on this file (given the nature of the railway legislation) has been missing in action for decades.

AoD

Not sure why the Tories would can Davenport. It screws 905/705 Barrie line commuters and it puts a serious wrench in any Missing Link notions from Tory/battleground ridings in Mississauga.

Not sure why the Tories would can Davenport. It screws 905/705 Barrie line commuters and it puts a serious wrench in any Missing Link notions from Tory/battleground ridings in Mississauga.

Davenport doesn't factor into the Missing Link.

Nor does it impede 905 commuters..... the one-direction fleet can still run on decent headways during rush hour. Cancelling Davenport would definitely impede 2-way RER on 15 minute headways, however.

Davenport is a very vocal community which has reluctantly accepted the overpass, but if someone came to the rescue they would happily stand in the way of progress. The current MPP (Liberal) spoke out against the overpass, and was ignored..... thereby proving that her voice doesn't carry much weight with Wynne anyways... so nothing gained by holding onto her.

I could see this being a good issue to let Brown get his feet into the central City - "We understand you better than Wynne does".

As for the folks up north concerned about the congestion on their roads, there could still be hourly 2-way diesel GO. Bring the double track down to Eglinton, and do the Parkdale bit. I doubt many voters would realise why the full RER is such a good idea. Nobody up there is demanding electrification - wires are ugly.

- Paul

Davenport doesn't factor into the Missing Link.
Really? Maybe we differ on what Missing Link is supposed to deliver? I think putting meaningful transit over the CP through a flat diamond while GO traffic is coming down from Barrie is not really going to work.

Well, in theory the contract may be awarded, but whether Wynne would award it right before the election is debatable.

Here's the most recent update from ML http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...avenport_Grade_Separation_Presentation_EN.pdf

- Paul

It will be interesting how the Wynne government will manage from the budget to election day.

Election day = Oct 4
Must call the election = Sept 6 ... unless she breaks another promise this one the fixed election date

But the summer recess is normally from early June (June 10 last year) until after labour day. Wynne will not want any Committee's sitting (and stirring up trouble) during the summer so she may prorogue parliament in June right after the budget is drafted. So basically no government for 4+ months.

I wonder what civil servants can do knowing all of this. Would/should they follow Wynne's commands (even though she has abandoned the political system) and implement/sign various contracts in the summer? (most likely with friends of the Liberal Party) Or do they defer and wait until the new government is formed (whomever they are)

Really? Maybe we differ on what Missing Link is supposed to deliver? I think putting meaningful transit over the CP through a flat diamond while GO traffic is coming down from Barrie is not really going to work.

Well, there's what we think it will deliver.....and there is what the Province thinks it will deliver.

The Province's view of the Bypass
https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2016/06/ontario-expanding-go-rail-service-to-waterloo-region.html
is simply to clear freight off the Bramalea-Georgetown line so that an electrified 2-way service to Kitchener can be delivered more cheaply.

I agree with your vision that it ought to also include the Milton line and a cross-Toronto service, but no one has officially announced that. The Tories don't have to cancel something that never was. They will be gone before the voters notice the lost opportunity.

- Paul

It will be interesting how the Wynne government will manage from the budget to election day.

Election day = Oct 4
Must call the election = Sept 6 ... unless she breaks another promise this one the fixed election date

But the summer recess is normally from early June (June 10 last year) until after labour day. Wynne will not want any Committee's sitting (and stirring up trouble) during the summer so she may prorogue parliament in June right after the budget is drafted. So basically no government for 4+ months.

I wonder what civil servants can do knowing all of this. Would/should they follow Wynne's commands (even though she has abandoned the political system) and implement/sign various contracts in the summer? (most likely with friends of the Liberal Party) Or do they defer and wait until the new government is formed (whomever they are)
didn't they already move the election day to summer to avoid conflict with the municipal elections?

It's relevant as a reminder (the cold bucket of water over the head type of reminder) that while we have had a good run of announcements and advances in transit projects in 2015-2016, there is a finite end point to how long this can continue. Any backtracking or reconsidering or deceleration of things that are still in the planning stage at this moment pushes them past a point of no return.

The closer that we get to June 7 2018, the more some things may be in peril.

- Paul

Cool overhead shot of the East Rail Maintenance Facility under construction. Posted on Metrolinx's Facebook account.
2hK2DnS

It's relevant as a reminder (the cold bucket of water over the head type of reminder) that while we have had a good run of announcements and advances in transit projects in 2015-2016, there is a finite end point to how long this can continue. Any backtracking or reconsidering or deceleration of things that are still in the planning stage at this moment pushes them past a point of no return.

The closer that we get to June 7 2018, the more some things may be in peril.

- Paul
Basically have 18 months now.

Anyone have pics or renders of the Oakville Operations centre.

JmEMdWK.jpg

For some reason this is the only render of the facility I have seen (smaller building with green on roof in front of the existing parking garage). No community meetings were held, and no information exists on the Town of Oakville website for building permits etc. Metrolinx kept this project really close to the chest.

In terms of construction progress, the building is now above grade. The first few steel beams have gone up vertically, providing for context for the massing. Construction should move quickly from now on due to the steel construction of the building. I will go take some pictures and post them tomorrow, and will update the forum when/if major progress happens over the holidays.

Back