News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Fair, and thank you. But Bradford is double track. Why not just build extra platforms at Newmarket, East Gwillimbury and the Barrie area?

Largely not needed.

15-minute service is only planned to Aurora, then 1 in 4 trains (diesel in the short term until electrification to Barrie) will continue to Allandale. Aurora will be double, then Mulock (future)/Newmarket/EG single, Bradford double, Barrie South single, then I would certainly expect Allandale to be doubled. With Aurora, Bradford, and Allandale all being double-tracked with 2 platforms, and with only 60-minute service past Aurora, there's no need for full double-tracking/platforming at every station.

Keep in mind double-platforming a single-platform/track station is fairly difficult and expensive. There is significant disruption to the station, both the platform/passengers and parking/vehicle access, and they have to put in multiple elevators, stairs, tunnels, and shelters, plus Presto terminals/ticket machines/platform displays with associated power and networking. The tunnels and elevators are the biggest point. Plus ongoing maintenance for everything...much pricier than a single platform with no tunnels. Not necessary for 60-minute trains as long as every few stations is double-tracked/platformed, or if there's passing track near them.

Passing at Aurora and Bradford should be doable. There will have to be passing track somewhere in Barrie though, the round trip Bradford-Allandale-Bradford is too long, I'd imagine, for 60-minute trains. Maybe the future Innisfil station could be double-platformed?

Last edited:
Largely not needed.

15-minute service is only planned to Aurora, then 1 in 4 trains (diesel in the short term until electrification to Barrie) will continue to Allandale. Aurora will be double, then Mulock (future)/Newmarket/EG single, Bradford double, Barrie South single, then I would certainly expect Allandale to be doubled. With Aurora, Bradford, and Allandale all being double-tracked with 2 platforms, and with only 60-minute service past Aurora, there's no need for full double-tracking/platforming at every station.

Keep in mind double-platforming a single-platform/track station is fairly difficult and expensive. There is significant disruption to the station, both the platform/passengers and parking/vehicle access, and they have to put in multiple elevators, stairs, tunnels, and shelters, plus Presto terminals/ticket machines/platform displays with associated power and networking. The tunnels and elevators are the biggest point. Plus ongoing maintenance for everything...much pricier than a single platform with no tunnels. Not necessary for 60-minute trains as long as every few stations is double-tracked/platformed, or if there's passing track near them.

Passing at Aurora and Bradford should be doable. There will have to be passing track somewhere in Barrie though, the round trip Bradford-Allandale-Bradford is too long, I'd imagine, for 60-minute trains. Maybe the future Innisfil station could be double-platformed?
Thanks! Very informative! I would have extended it to Newmarket or EG but I get the reasoning.

Last edited:
The double tracking will end at Aurora GO, and will be single track and platforms from there to Barrie with the occasional passing track.

While it remains to be seen what will happen with the EA, the electrification documents don't necessarily indicate that to be the case. One of the options given was full double-track all the way to Barrie, and virtually all of them called for some sections of double-track between Aurora and Barrie.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

^that is what I meant by passing tracks, several kilometre long stretches that are double tracks, like they are building today between York U station and Rutherford station on the line.

I'm not entirely sure double tracks could fit through Newmarket, the corridor is very constrained through there. My understanding is that the reason RER is going to end at Aurora is Newmarket is too tight to fit RER services. I just wish they would bring it to at least a new station at Mulock.. Newmarket is a huge population centre to miss with RER.

^that is what I meant by passing tracks, several kilometre long stretches that are double tracks, like they are building today between York U station and Rutherford station on the line.

I'm not entirely sure double tracks could fit through Newmarket, the corridor is very constrained through there. My understanding is that the reason RER is going to end at Aurora is Newmarket is too tight to fit RER services. I just wish they would bring it to at least a new station at Mulock.. Newmarket is a huge population centre to miss with RER.

Mulock is a proposed additional GO station identified by Metrolinx, and I agree that it, unlike Aurora, should be the RER terminus. It's walkable to Downtown Newmarket (not a short walk, but it's within walking distance) and easier, I'm sure to operate connecting local buses from points north; Wellington Street in Aurora is a bit constrained as well.

While it remains to be seen what will happen with the EA, the electrification documents don't necessarily indicate that to be the case. One of the options given was full double-track all the way to Barrie, and virtually all of them called for some sections of double-track between Aurora and Barrie.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This is what I am thinking as well. I think they should bite the bullet on Newmarket and add the second platform and tracks even though it's expensive. It would not been good to miss 80,000 people when providing service to the urban core.

Dan, where are the options given in the electrification documents, so I could read them myself? Thanks in advance.

"Passing tracks" and "double track" have very different meanings in the railroad. Double track indicates two mainline tracks, usually signalled, and generally capable of the full speed of the line. A passing track - or siding - is usually a lesser-used parallelling track that can be used in a pinch, isn't necessarily signalled and of lower quality and speed.

Double tracks can certainly fit through Newmarket. The line was originally built as a double-track line. But again, stations are where there will be issues.

As for Mulock, I am in full agreement. I seem to recall that there was some clamour from the attendees of the some of the earlier meetings that the service should be extended further north, but I don't know if that's changed any minds officially.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

"Passing tracks" and "double track" have very different meanings in the railroad. Double track indicates two mainline tracks, usually signalled, and generally capable of the full speed of the line. A passing track - or siding - is usually a lesser-used parallelling track that can be used in a pinch, isn't necessarily signalled and of lower quality and speed.

Double tracks can certainly fit through Newmarket. The line was originally built as a double-track line. But again, stations are where there will be issues.

As for Mulock, I am in full agreement. I seem to recall that there was some clamour from the attendees of the some of the earlier meetings that the service should be extended further north, but I don't know if that's changed any minds officially.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Thanks Dan. I recently went to Newmarket station and though how it would be tough to build a second platform there if they needed it without spend a pile of money.

Back