News   Jul 17, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 631     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Here's what the new level crossing looks like on the Finch Hydro Corridor Bike Path at the GO Transit Newmarket Subdivision.

8689436969_0366fdab6b_z.jpg

Cyclists are forced to do a very challenging slalom before crossing the tracks, even though there is tons of visibility, there are crossing lights and bells, and trains are required to sound their horns at the crossing.
I suspect the bars are far more dangerous than the danger they are mitigating. And even if it isn't the case, I'd rather some idiot jumping the lights get hit by a train than have a law-abiding cyclist crash while trying to go through the gates.

I've been through that crossing a few times now and I haven't found the bars or the slalom challenging, as long as you slow down, which is the whole point. It may seem like overkill because the trains aren't very frequent.

^I hate when cycling paths use those types bars. They're all over the waterfront trail in Mississauga.
They're ok when it's just you, but when cyclists are coming from both directions, they are a PITA. Or add in pedestrians, strollers, etc. I know they're meant to slow people down, but they annoy me. :)

They're ok when it's just you, but when cyclists are coming from both directions, they are a PITA. Or add in pedestrians, strollers, etc. I know they're meant to slow people down, but they annoy me. :)

The ones in Mississauga are annoying, especially as they "protect" minor roadways, but they're shorter P-gates, in a set of two. These things are worse since it's three, and they are longer. The point should simply be two slow you down and be aware of the crossing, not to all-but-force a full dismount. Funny that some of these P-gates in 'Sauga "protect" an abandoned spur that used to serve the Lakeview Station - most comical is the sign telling you to dismount and walk the bike across the roadway - as if anyone would, especially across a deserted old Hydro driveway.

Last edited:
Designed by someone who never (repeat, never) rode a bicycle before.

And why are the painted lines going under or through the P poles? Looks like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon.

I think this is designed very well, and I'm a regular bike user. It's an appropriate place to get people to slow down. Purpose served.

I think this is designed very well, and I'm a regular bike user. It's an appropriate place to get people to slow down. Purpose served.

Do you stop or slow your car at every level crossing to look both ways? No. Because there are lights bells and horns which let you know well in advance when there will be a train coming.

Occasionally that goes up to 12-13 movements a day - there are a few industrial customers along the Newmarket Sub that CN still serves. Plus VIA Train 1 (the Canadian) 2-3 times a week.

I guess the P-gates were cheaper than adding railway gates to cross the path. It is unnecessary and silly, but at least that section of the trail is done.

Last edited:
I think this is clearly a case where the bike path should be grade-separated from the tracks.

Thousands of cars cross unprotected railway crossings every day without incident. I don't think that making cars go through a slalom would help things at all, so why should bikes (which tend to be more aware of their surroundings anyway)?

How well lit is this location at night? The Iron Horse Trail in Kitchener has a similar slalom at an angled track crossing, and there was a fatality a few years ago from a cyclist riding in the dark who didn't see it, and I believe there's been a number of other incidents.

How well lit is this location at night? The Iron Horse Trail in Kitchener has a similar slalom at an angled track crossing, and there was a fatality a few years ago from a cyclist riding in the dark who didn't see it, and I believe there's been a number of other incidents.

This path has no lighting. I've never been through the area after dark, though. Maybe I'll go check it out tonight.

I'm familiar with the Iron Horse crossing in Victoria Park, and I think the bars are more warranted than here at least. The rails themselves pose a hazard because of the angle, so it makes sense to slow cyclists as much as possible. Furthermore there are two gates on each side, rather than three.

Last edited:
Interesting

How Kristyn Wong-Tam plans to save BIXI Toronto

Allowing developers to cut the number of parking spaces in new residential developments could save Toronto's ailing bike share program, says councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam. Current city rules allow builders to trade parking capacity for auto share spaces or ring-and-post locks, and Wong-Tam wants BIXI stands added to that list.

In a member's motion to be heard at city council next week, Wong-Tam will ask transportation services and city planners to investigate the feasibility of expanding BIXI using developer's money at zero cost to the city. The new stands could be funded out of a pool of money and placed where there's the most demand for bike infrastructure.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/05/how_kristyn_wong-tam_plans_to_save_bixi_toronto/

Back