News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

Well looks like impeachment has backfired on the Democrats as anyone who was not a hardcore democrat supporter could have easily foreseen that.

All its done is improve Trumps standing with his party and some independents and therefore making his defeat in 2020 an even harder task,

Frankly do not see much unity in the democrats over a candidate so think Trump is favoured to win, giving him about a 60% chance of winning.

Well looks like impeachment has backfired on the Democrats as anyone who was not a hardcore democrat supporter could have easily foreseen that.

All its done is improve Trumps standing with his party and some independents and therefore making his defeat in 2020 an even harder task,

Frankly do not see much unity in the democrats over a candidate so think Trump is favoured to win, giving him about a 60% chance of winning.

The impeachment shone a bright light on the inadequacy and impotency of the GOP in dealing with the twitterer. That impeachment was ever going to succeed through the senate was a long shot at best, and everyone knows that. Now the American people have a crystal clear choice in November 2020 about the kind of country they want to live in. Good luck America.

The impeachment shone a bright light on the inadequacy and impotency of the GOP in dealing with the twitterer. That impeachment was ever going to succeed through the senate was a long shot at best, and everyone knows that. Now the American people have a crystal clear choice in November 2020 about the kind of country they want to live in. Good luck America.

The GOP is pathetic and will pay dearly.

Republican Senator Mitt Romney will vote to convict President Trump on Article 1 of impeachment “corrupting an election to keep one’s self in office is perhaps the most abusive and destructive violation of one’s oath office that I can imagine.”

Romney's decision is historic. Never before in an impeachment has a senator voted to convict a president belonging to his own party.

Last edited:
Republican Senator Mitt Romney will vote to convict President Trump on Article 1 of impeachment “corrupting an election to keep one’s self in office is perhaps the most abusive and destructive violation of one’s oath office that I can imagine.”

Romney's decision is historic. Never before in an impeachment has a senator voted to convict a president belonging to his own party.

If only the rest of the Republican clapping seals were capable of showing even a shred of such integrity.

All it did was make Red States more favourable to the GOP candidates in 2020 and Trump's approval ratings have gone from below 38-40% to 42-45%. As we have seen historically Presidents can get reelected when their approval rating is in the 40s or higher.

I am more talking about a realpolitik point of view that impeachment I think instead of hurting Trump likely has made it harder to beat him in 2020.

If your goal was to stop Trump, impeachment is a complete and utter failure in my eyes.

Because in the end 'Power is power'... Having the moral high ground is not power in America.

The silent epidemic of America’s problem with guns

By Joel Gunter BBC News

Mass shootings dominate the national conversation on gun control, but two thirds of gun deaths are suicides. How do you solve a problem hardly anyone talks about?

Mass shootings dominate the national conversation on gun control, but two thirds of gun deaths are suicides. How do you solve a problem hardly anyone talks about?
As long as they don't hurt anyone else, I'm okay with it. Sure, the easy access to guns can make for an impulsive decision that might have otherwise not been fatal, but I support people undergoing physical or psychological pain being able to decide when they're done with this life.

I support people having mental health supports so that they can seek help if they so choose to know if they truly are done with this life. I know too many people who, if a gun had been readily available, would have used it. With treatment and support, they are very glad that they didn't. As are their friends and families.

I support people having mental health supports so that they can seek help if they so choose to know if they truly are done with this life. I know too many people who, if a gun had been readily available, would have used it. With treatment and support, they are very glad that they didn't. As are their friends and families.

I agree entirely with the above. I also support people's right to make a thoughtful choice to end their lives. However, I think the word thoughtful should be underlined. It ought not to be an impulsive decision, nor one made without realizing what supports are available.

Beyond mental health we need to tackle other social issues that lead people to this place, including poverty and as best as we can, lonliness. I'm not suggesting a national dating service/friend matching program, I am suggesting some people in the throes of depression have difficulty gaining meaningful social contacts; and the difference a single friend can make is enormous.

I also think, that if someone has done their best; and society has tried, and the person, on reflection still wishes to end their life, we ought to be able to find ways to make that less awful both for the person themselves and for everyone else.

I agree entirely with the above. I also support people's right to make a thoughtful choice to end their lives. However, I think the word thoughtful should be underlined. It ought not to be an impulsive decision, nor one made without realizing what supports are available.

Beyond mental health we need to tackle other social issues that lead people to this place, including poverty and as best as we can, lonliness. I'm not suggesting a national dating service/friend matching program, I am suggesting some people in the throes of depression have difficulty gaining meaningful social contacts; and the difference a single friend can make is enormous.

I also think, that if someone has done their best; and society has tried, and the person, on reflection still wishes to end their life, we ought to be able to find ways to make that less awful both for the person themselves and for everyone else.
Don't forget posttraumatic stress disorder.

As far as mental health goes... Can a factor be our 40+ hour work weeks and limited time off? I feel like we work too much for the most part.

As far as mental health goes... Can a factor be our 40+ hour work weeks and limited time off? I feel like we work too much for the most part.

I think it depends many can easily work 40 hours a week if they are single and have their affairs in order.

People who have a more complicated situation likely cannot.

Point is we need more flexibility.

I wholly support more paid vacation time, and curtailing over time.

There's little question that would be beneficial in reducing stress; and at the same time, I think the case for productivity and economic benefits is very real as well.

That said, I'd be careful about the degree to which work-related stress is a primary cause of mental illness.

Obviously it depends on what type of mental illness one is discussing.

But aside from genetic factors; or the like, factors range widely from chemical imbalances to inadequate daylight to sleep disorders and so on.

All of these though are typically easier to handle if you have time to take a breath and reflect, talk to friends and family, or catch up on some sleep.

Robust mental healthcare and supports would surely top the list of things society can do; along with alleviating poverty, as more money tends to reduce stress and provide options for addressing one's problems.

But more vacation time or curtailing overtime is really a matter of legislation and therefore comes at relatively low-cost. We're also well below global norms, so I wouldn't expect any competitiveness issue.

The entire E.U., the U.K, Australia and NZ all mandate 4-weeks paid vacation (or more); and even Saskatchewan is at 3 weeks; and Quebec at 3 weeks after 3 years with the same employer.

While the U.S. actually classifies the work week as 40 hours for overtime purposes, yet here in Ontario its 44.

So there is certainly room to provide a better work-life balance as one part of a broader solution.

Banana republic...

Trump says the military should consider a court-martial and prison time for former White House National Security Council aide Alexander Vindman, who provided some of the most damaging testimony during the House impeachment probe, He was ousted from his White House job last week.

Trump tries to meddle in DOJ sentencing for pal, Roger Stone.

Last edited:

Back