News   Jul 09, 2024
 729     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 597     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

The hydro corridor is best left for some kind of GO-type long-distance service with very few stops.

Interesting that the EA only goes from Finch Station to Humber College, it doesn't include that silly tack-on to Don Mills/Sheppard.

Too bad the EA doesn't go southwest from Humber to Woodbine/Pearson. Wasted opportunity. Woodbine's only 1km away.

The Finch West LRT is one Transit City line I don't have a problem with. Although I think it should eventually be expanded east and west.

I agree....Finch is one of the corridors that LRT actually makes sense in Toronto. When's construction supposed to start for the LRT, 2011?? seeing that it's already funded, i would assume so.

You're kidding, right?

So let's move the project off Finch into the corridor where we'd force people to walk south to the Avenue and make it an express service instead of keeping it where it is (a local service) so that those people who actually live on Finch (and don't need to travel to Humber College) can enjoy a more comfortable, moderately faster, less crowded, and improved residential/retail on street access from the LRT.

No, we wouldn't want that, would we?

It's all about the NODES man! THE NODES!

This line is dead in the water with the recent funding cut. Mark my words, it wont ever be built. Sad but true. We'll have a nice and glossy EA document to look at and to gather dust on a shelf.

doubtful, any new government may come in and kill all the other $4B in transit still being funded in an effort to tame the deficit. The deficit for Toronto/Ontario is big and growing bigger. The only way out is to increases taxes/fees/tolls. Until a govt has the balls to do this, transit funding has basically dried up for the next 5-10 years.

They might choose to "defer" Eglinton, and then they still have funds for Finch (as well as SLRT, Sheppard, and VivaNext).

Surely Eglinton is more important, but it is also much more expensive. I suspect that they cannot complete it if they defer as much as $4 billion. Then it might be smarter not to even start Eglinton, rather than create another stubway, this time LRT-based.

The 407 isn't a hop, skip and a jump away from Finch.

But the Finch Hydro Corridor is a hop, skip and a jump away from Finch proper which was precisely my point. 250 - 400 metres away at maximum. Comparatively, if ever you walked along Bloor Street from Bay to Yonge subway stations you'd realize that it's not that far of a distance. There are countless apartment buildings, malls and other actvity that extend right up to the hydrofields, so let's not pretend like the population at large would be inconveniened as there'd still be the local 36 Finch West and 39 Finch East buses serving the entire corridor. FHC BRT is for the long-haulers and transferees off of north-south local buses primarily, but minus their numbers from the total that uses the local bus and suddenly things won't seem bad as they are now.

They might choose to "defer" Eglinton, and then they still have funds for Finch (as well as SLRT, Sheppard, and VivaNext).

I predict Eglinton is canned (leaving $600M over the $4B required to be deferred) and Finch gets extended to the airport using that $600M. No, I don't really predict this but it would be funny.

Thats not true, if a new municipal/provincial government is elected that may all change.

You aren't going to get a more transit friendly city council than the one we have now and without NDP winning the province we aren't likely to get a more transit friendly provincial government. The only change that would better align the stars for transit would be a move away from the Conservative federal government to the Liberals, and without a transit friendly municipal and provincial government the government in Ottawa wouldn't make a difference other than perhaps for high-speed rail. The sad thing is that the current scenario in provincial and municipal governments is the MOST likely to support transit and even now transit improvements are beyond our grasp. This is exactly why I don't support the SOS plans because I realize that since the 60s there has never been a more promising and funded (now not funded) plan. It is already slipping away. In ten years, after anti-transit, conservative spenders, and those against bike lanes have run the show there might be another study which will take so long to complete that another Harris/Dalton freeze stops any positive change from happening. Perhaps next time it will be BRT on Eglinton and still be cut back.

It seems the only thing that is going to get transit built in this city is if we're paralyzed by traffic.

I predict Eglinton is canned (leaving $600M over the $4B required to be deferred) and Finch gets extended to the airport using that $600M. No, I don't really predict this but it would be funny.
Hang on - weren't they looking for $4-billion in the next 5 years. With Phase 1 of Eglinton not scheduled to open for 6 years, and Phase 3 for 10 years, then surely much of the funding is outside the period where they are looking for savings. I'd think that pretty much the entire Transit City (other than Sheppard East) and VIVA would need to be deferred until 2015 or so to achieve the saving required.

You aren't going to get a more transit friendly city council than the one we have now and without NDP winning the province we aren't likely to get a more transit friendly provincial government. ...

I think that the Ontario Green Party has been given a boast, especially if one has a dislike to the NDP.

Back