News   Jul 09, 2024
 729     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 597     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Now that you mention it, the 125 Drewry bus could also be extended into the F.H.C., doing a reverse loop of Bathurst/Finch/Torresdale/F.H.C./Bathurst to compliment the 104’s loop.

That would be great, if possible. I'm not sure how possible it will be, though, due to there being (from south to north) soccer fields (often used throughout the year except in Winter), overhead hydro lines, two burial societies land, and a private road between the two dead ends where Torresdale is broken in two, not to mention the pedestrians and dog walkers traipsing up and down the footpath there every day to get from the north section to the south section or vice-versa.

I really like Fresh Start's idea of a BRT running along the hydro corridor more or less parallel to Finch Avenue, from Etobicoke to Scarborough. Maybe it could go all the way to the zoo!?

And the idea of bringing the 104 Faywood into this neighborhood where I and so many others live along the southern section of Torresdale is a brilliant idea! Way to go Fresh Start! Do you have a petition for me to sign to make this happen, or anything? If so, please send a private message (PM) to me here at Urban Toronto.

Last edited:
That would be great, if possible. I'm not sure how possible it will be, though, due to there being (from south to north) soccer fields (often used throughout the year except in Winter), overhead hydro lines, two burial societies land, and a private road between the two dead ends where Torresdale is broken in two, not to mention the pedestrians and dog walkers traipsing up and down the footpath there every day to get from the north section to the south section or vice-versa.

I really like Fresh Start's idea of a BRT running along the hydro corridor more or less parallel to Finch Avenue, from Etobicoke to Scarborough. Maybe it could go all the way to the zoo!?

And the idea of bringing the 104 Faywood into this neighborhood where I and so many others live along the southern section of Torresdale is a brilliant idea! Way to go Fresh Start! Do you have a petition for me to sign to make this happen, or anything? If so, please send a private message (PM) to me here at Urban Toronto.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) No I wasn't refering to bridging the two ends of Torresdale together over the cemetary or anything that extreme. I'd have the 125 bus do the full counterclockwise loop of Antibes, then head south on Bathrust St, west on Finch, north on Torresdale, enter the busway station immediately to the east, pickup/dropoff passengers then head back up Bathurst St to resume the regular route. This would be the reverse loop of the 104 Faywood bus such that no customer suffers a long wait for transit: combined headways could be every 5 mins during rush, every 10 offpeak.

I do not as yet have a formal petition as I've been aligned with SOS whom don't think that right now the F.H.C. Busway should be a priority, but on my own I've been compiling several maps of my idea of having the F.H.C. serve as the trunk of a major pan-GTA busway (Oakville-Oshawa) with several TTC routes through the corridor providing local service in lieu of hyper-expensive light-rail transit. I can post the maps when I find the time.

New user Tom, first post:
I like Fresh Start and his ideas and I am not a sockpupet at all. It is perfectly normal for new users to identify a transit project by a forum poster's name. But, tell me, Fresh Start, how would you approach the routing for one section of your pet plan?

Fresh Start:
Thank you, Tom. Why, I have the answer to your question right here. What a marvelous coincidence, as your question also allows me to explain how a busway down the FHC would cure AIDS. It's easy and it saves you money.

Studio audience:
*applauds*

I like Fresh Start and his ideas and I am not a sockpupet at all. It is perfectly normal for new users to identify a transit project by a forum poster's name. But, tell me, Fresh Start, how would you approach the routing for one section of your pet plan?

Fresh Start:
Thank you, Tom. Why, I have the answer to your question right here. What a marvelous coincidence, as your question also allows me to explain how a busway down the FHC would cure AIDS. It's easy and it saves you money.

Studio audience:
*applauds*

Leopetr, if you suspect I am the same person as Fresh Start, instead of posting such messages as the above, complain to the Forum administrators who can objectively compare my IP address with Fresh Start's and see if your suspicions are valid.

An objective comparison will show Fresh Start and I are two completely different people.

For all I know, they have already done so. It took close to a whole day before my account had been approved by the administration for posting.

I hope that's the last insult I receive from you, Leoptr. I'm not here to engage in flame wars. I'd just like the place where I live, ie. the neighbourhood surrounding Torresdale, and Toronto generally, to be better.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

You're welcome!

No I wasn't refering to bridging the two ends of Torresdale together over the cemetary or anything that extreme. I'd have the 125 bus do the full counterclockwise loop of Antibes, then head south on Bathrust St, west on Finch, north on Torresdale, enter the busway station immediately to the east, pickup/dropoff passengers then head back up Bathurst St to resume the regular route. This would be the reverse loop of the 104 Faywood bus such that no customer suffers a long wait for transit: combined headways could be every 5 mins during rush, every 10 offpeak.

Ah. Very good.

I do not as yet have a formal petition as I've been aligned with SOS whom don't think that right now the F.H.C. Busway should be a priority, but on my own I've been compiling several maps of my idea of having the F.H.C. serve as the trunk of a major pan-GTA busway (Oakville-Oshawa) with several TTC routes through the corridor providing local service in lieu of hyper-expensive light-rail transit. I can post the maps when I find the time.

I've seen the maps you posted a few pages back in this thread. I hope you will amend the one for my neighbourhood to include your ideas about the Drewry bus, and also the pedestrian walkway on the east side of the Centenniel Arena parking lot, and when you do, post it here. Better yet, start a website for the FHC BRT!

Fresh Start:

Studio audience:
*applauds*

I don't have to create pseudonyms to prove the legitimacy of Bus Rapid Transit to anyone, especially when I've already solidly defended my position against all of your rebuttals some two and a half weeks ago (Post #325). Why would I resurrect a dead thread to be asking myself an easy enough question to figure out? So no, I'm not out to give the public a false impression of all the social/economic/environmental/urbanizing benefits of BRT, like the Transit City likes to pretend light-rail walks on water and cures lepers. I'm just stating information that anyone with a lick of sense can research up on for themselves on the internet or their local reference library and read and weep at what cities in developing nations have achieved which us in the modern first world repeatedly seem to cannot.

Most of these transit threads are becoming completely unreadable for anyone actually looking for meaningful and relevant information...

Anyways an actual update:
  • TTC commissioners have approved the EA study for the Etobicoke-Finch West LRT.
  • A preferred alignment for the 17.2km route from Finch station to hwy 27 with 30 stops and two subway connections is included
  • Next steps: Council must approve and then to MOE for approval

Got this in my inbox: the EA is completed for the Finch West TC Line

Interesting that the EA only goes from Finch Station to Humber College, it doesn't include that silly tack-on to Don Mills/Sheppard.

Update – March 2010
Notice of Completion - Environmental Project Report (EPR)
The City of Toronto and the Toronto Transit Commission have completed an Environmental Project Report (EPR) for the Etobicoke-Finch West LRT. Please see the Notice of Completion (PDF attached.) The 17-kilometre LRT service will replace an existing busy bus route, and provide fast and frequent east-west service through the northern part of North York and Etobicoke.

The Environmental Project Report for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will be available on the project website http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/etobicoke_finch_w_lrt/index.htm for a 30-day review period beginning March 24, 2010.

A printed copy is available at the locations listed on the Notice of Completion.

Interested persons are encouraged to review the project documents and provide comments by April 22, 2010.

Finchtransit@ttc.ca
416-392-6900
Etobicoke-Finch West LRT Project
Toronto Transit Commission
5160 Yonge Street, 3rd Floor

Interesting that the EA only goes from Finch Station to Humber College, it doesn't include that silly tack-on to Don Mills/Sheppard.
I guess they finally realized there was no way they could sell that farcical concept of Finch West-Sheppard East as one line.

That has been the case throughout the whole Transit City EA process. The requests by Metrolinx for connections to Don Mills and the Airport have been relegated to an unfunded "Phase 2".

I wish it was downscaled into oblivion and replaced by a dedicated busway through the Finch Hydro Corridor and along Finch Avenue through Etobicoke. Rexdale and Humber College customers deserve so much better. No way do I believe for a second that the total to build FWLRT will come to only $800 million. I'd like to hear people complain about the overcrowded 36 bus, after all the long-haulers would be converted into regularly using the BRT instead. But alas, I digress.

I wish it was downscaled into oblivion and replaced by a dedicated busway through the Finch Hydro Corridor and along Finch Avenue through Etobicoke. Rexdale and Humber College customers deserve so much better. No way do I believe for a second that the total to build FWLRT will come to only $800 million. I'd like to hear people complain about the overcrowded 36 bus, after all the long-haulers would be converted into regularly using the BRT instead. But alas, I digress.

You're kidding, right?

So let's move the project off Finch into the corridor where we'd force people to walk south to the Avenue and make it an express service instead of keeping it where it is (a local service) so that those people who actually live on Finch (and don't need to travel to Humber College) can enjoy a more comfortable, moderately faster, less crowded, and improved residential/retail on street access from the LRT.

No, we wouldn't want that, would we?

We all know Fresh Start's stand on this corridor. Finch is pretty much ideal for the type of LRT that TC promotes. An express crosstown route is only a short bus ride away on the 407.

Back