News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

The old city of Toronto has had NO Subway construction since 1978. The only construction since then (up to now) has been in the "suburbs". With the Eglinton Crosstown construction to start, it would be the first since then of any underground electric railway construction within the old borders. The only public transit construction within the old city has been streetcar right-of-ways, not light rapid transit lines which Finch West would be getting.
Minor detail you left out in your rant: the old City of Toronto had NO interest in subway construction after 1978 while the rest of Metro did.

Mammoliti is obviously grandstanding on behalf of Ford, but I bet it's the first of many such events to come.

The Emery Village BIA is a joke, mostly a wasteland of warehouses, factories and auto repair shops, save for a few plazas on Weston Road and Finch. It's under Mammoliti's thumb, his baby.

Look at the map: one of these things just doesn't belong here, one of these things just isn't the same.

http://www.toronto.ca/bia/pdf/citywide-map.pdf

Wow I go by Emery village all the time, but I had no idea it was that large! I don't see much point in it TBH. seems like a waste of money putting all that nice interlocking and light posts on steeles, when 90% of the time nobody uses the benches in that area (never mind spend time in the area).

Minor detail you left out in your rant: the old City of Toronto had NO interest in subway construction after 1978 while the rest of Metro did.

Mammoliti is obviously grandstanding on behalf of Ford, but I bet it's the first of many such events to come.

What do you mean by grandstanding?

A bia doesn't represent all the residents in the area. PLUS this bia was a supporter before. I'm tempted do to take the finch lrtmoney and use it to convert the Sheppard subway to lrt.

Shouldn't a BIA be able to figure out that the numbers on finch don't justify subways. Shouldn't business people be able to figure out if they don't have funding for Sheppard they aren't going to for finch. Shouldn't business people be smart enough to realize IF a subway was going to happen here it would be after the drl, the youngest extension, the completed Sheppard line. So say 40 years from now which is would mean when all the current bia owners are dead.

You are approaching this from a rational perspective - Mammo et al doesn't operate on such a manner, and from the sound of it EV is bit of a joke as well.

AoD

Last edited:
Shouldn't a BIA be able to figure out that the numbers on finch don't justify subways. Shouldn't business people be able to figure out if they don't have funding for Sheppard they aren't going to for finch. Shouldn't business people be smart enough to realize IF a subway was going to happen here it would be after the drl, the youngest extension, the completed Sheppard line. So say 40 years from now which is would mean when all the current bia owners are dead.

In my experience successful small business people don't have time to run a BIA, they're busy running their business. The BIA board tends to get those who are politically motivated or struggling to run their business.

That said, small business owners tend to be very penny wise and pound foolish.

You may or may not agree with them but that doesn't mean that their concerns aren't valid. A ROW will inhibit access to their bussinesses and for you and me that may seem irrelevant but to them it iis very personal. It maybe, as you state, penny wise pound foolish, but small businesses often reley on those pennies to keep going. The construction may only take a year and inbit 20% of it's potential business traffic but that may very much be enough for their business to go belly up.
For you and I it is a plan and a line on a map but for them {and their employees} there is nothing hypothetical about a pink slip.

A bia doesn't represent all the residents in the area. PLUS this bia was a supporter before. I'm tempted do to take the finch lrtmoney and use it to convert the Sheppard subway to lrt.

The BIA forgets that while businesses near the stations should experience an increase in business, the further away businesses are from the station, the less business will come their way. A suburban subway would have stations further apart than a more downtown subway, most likely at the major intersections. If a business is not near a major intersection, they can expect less business coming their way.

A light rail as presented by Transit City, would have stops further apart than the bus stops but closer together than a subway. In addition, light rail would allow passengers a view of their stores (with their store front advertisements) as they go by. With a subway, they will need to pay extra to put up advertisements in the stations to show that they exist.

In addition, light rail would allow passengers a view of their stores (with their store front advertisements) as they go by.

This is an aspect of light rail and streetcars that I think gets overlooked far too much. At-grade travel allows you to see the neighbourhood. I have gone to businesses that I've seen while riding the St. Clair LRT that I would not have seen if the line was a subway. Ditto for various businesses on Queen and King.

This is an aspect of light rail and streetcars that I think gets overlooked far too much. At-grade travel allows you to see the neighbourhood. I have gone to businesses that I've seen while riding the St. Clair LRT that I would not have seen if the line was a subway. Ditto for various businesses on Queen and King.

99% of riders do not care that they can't see all the businesses on the street as they go by on the subway. People just want to get where they are going quickly, otherwise they will drive. Thinking like this leads to Christopher Hume's absurd proposal to put a very slow streetcar on the surface along the central part of Eglinton which would probably take 2 hours to get from Scarborough Centre to the airport.

Back