News   Jun 18, 2024
 101     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Feather Factory Lofts (Roncesvalles/Dundas, Plazacorp)

Feather factory Lofts

To all interested parties:There is a Public Meeting on Thursday January 29th @ 6.30 pm @ High Park Baptist Church. The developer will be making a presentation with respect to future plans on this building. Councillor Perks will be chairing. Contact Leslie Yager @ 416-481-2222 xt 212 for further info.:

To all interested parties:There is a Public Meeting on Thursday January 29th @ 6.30 pm @ High Park Baptist Church. The developer will be making a presentation with respect to future plans on this building. Councillor Perks will be chairing. Contact Leslie Yager @ 416-481-2222 xt 212 for further info.:

nimbys.jpg

My prediction for this meeting and moving forward:
The developer tells everyone they are going to ram the project through the Committee of Adjustment. Convert the units from commercial to residential. Refused at the C of A and then off to the OMB. Bets? :eek:

in contrary .... I believe change of land uses are generally not considered by the CoA ... unless the applicant is only seeking a clarification in the Zoning or Official Plan where it is not clear, but in this case I think its pretty clear residential is prohibited?

further, there would be a number of variance required IF this building was converted to residential, including but not limited to parking, minimum landscaped area, and indoor/outdoor amenity area requirements ... which all adds up to be not 'minor'

cant make it to the meeting but would be extremely grateful if someone who will be there can post a brief summary...

I disagree that the C of A can't hear changes of land use. Looking through the past 2009 agendas for the Toronto and East York Panel, the Committee on Jan 21 approved the conversion of a chapel into a hospice / care facility (and all the related variances) at 340 College Street (38 Major Street). As well, on Jan 21 they approved the conversion of a residential home in a residential zoned district into a mixed-use building with a retail store (ice cream parlour) on the ground floor and residential in the rest of the building (85 Vaughan Road). A retail store obviously isn't a permitted use in a residential zone, but this conversion and the related variance was approved.

I imagine this stretch of Dundas West is zoned mixed-use (and would allow residential condominiums), so I don't see why the couldn't try and convert the units through the C of A and get approval for any related variances. It would be much cheaper and quicker than a rezoning. Of course, they would still need Site Plan Approval.

Solairs is definitely right about the variances though, parking for sure, indoor and outdoor amenity space, probably some technical variances like window separation that doesn't apply to a commercial building, but will apply to a residential one.

At the end of the day, I think a developer can bring any application to the C of A (see 66 Temperance St - Canada Tower, proposal for a 51-storey tower, approved on condition) and it's up to the Committee Members to decide if the application meets the four tests of the Planning Act (variances are minor, appropriate for the development of the land and/or building, and the general intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law and OP are maintained).

I have plans tonight, but man do I wish I could attend the meeting on this. Throwing the developer, the realty agency, angry potential owners who feel duped and angry local residents into one room will probably produce some "lively" debate. I hope someone here can make it and report on this. I'm dying to see how the developer defends themselves after this debacle...

I disagree that the C of A can't hear changes of land use.

The cases are a dog's breakfast, but there is a line of case law from the OMB and the courts that says one can't introduce new uses through the variance process. Having said that, it's done often enough, but good planners and lawyers know that the law is unsettled.

Email from city councillor's office

Good morning,

Thank you for attending the meeting hosted by Plazacorp last week and sharing your concerns regarding the development at 2154 Dundas St. West. I am writing to clarify some issues raised regarding zoning, the application process, heritage designation, and time lines. Further, I have identified a couple of questions that were raised for Plazacorp to consider as they move forward.

Please be advised that a separate letter has been sent to Leslie Yager which includes the contents of this email. Should you have any further comments, please send them directly to Leslie Yager (lyager@plazacorp.com) and please cc my office.

Zoning :
2154 Dundas is zoned MCR (mixed commercial residential) and can be occupied as residential and/or commercial without applying for a variance regarding gross floor area, as the building was in its current form
prior to July 20, 1993 (exception # 5 - By-law No. 438.86- conversion of non residential gross floor to residential gross floor area - attached). However, the bylaw states that while residential uses are permitted as of right on the Property, introducing dwelling units into an existing commercial building triggers zoning requirements for residential purposes (eg. window separation and residential amenity space) not applicable to commercial uses.

Currently the three variances are:
1. Section 8(3) Part II 1(A) (II) of By-law No. 438.86 - requires 5.5m set back - proposed building 1.975m
2. Section 4(3) of By-law No. 438-86 requires 22 parking spaces for residents and 3 parking spaces for visitors to be provided. Zero parking spaces are proposed
3. Section 4(12) of By-law No. 438-86 requires 86 square meters of indoor amenity space 0 is proposed; requires 86 square meters of outdoor amenity space - 40 is proposed

Heritage Designation:
2154 Dundas is listed on the Toronto's Inventory of Heritage Properties. 2154 Dundas was listed prior to Plazacorp purchasing the property and is considered worthy of designation to preserve features on the interior and exterior of the building. To clarify, listing a property on the Inventory of Heritage Properties allows Heritage Preservation Services to review development and building applications affecting those properties. It also requires the owner to give the City 60 days notice of his or her intention to demolish the property. Listing only allows Heritage Preservation Services the opportunity to monitor and does not require the developer to get permission to alter or demolish. When a property is designated it confers a legal status giving HPS greater powers of refusal.

Time Line - Committee Approvals:
Heritage Board - Plazacorp has applied to the Feb 20th Heritage Preservation Board for Designation - if approved it will go to the March 26th Toronto and East York Community Council, for final approval at April meeting of City Council
Committee of Adjustment - It is my understanding that Plazacorp will apply to be heard at the CofA in April (we will circulate notice once it is received and residents within 60m will be mailed a notice)

There will be an opportunity to depute at both board hearings.

As discussed, if the property is approved at the Preservation board and designated Heritage than it will be exempt from the parking variance listed above.

The following questions were raised by community members that Plazacorp has committed to responding to in more detail:

Can Plazacorp add Autoshare memberships instead of Zip Car?
Has Plazacorp considered acquiring Blvd. parking on east side of building to accommodate carshare cars?
What is the anticipated recycling program?
Can Plazacorp confirm and clarify their proposal to secure 22 parking spaces at the Loblaws site?

I have asked Leslie Yager to respond to the questions noted above and will be in touch when I receive her comments.

I have copied Amy Johnston on this email, please include her in your response.

Thank you,
Gord

Gord Perks
City Councillor
Ward 14, Parkdale-High Park

Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West
2nd Floor, Suite A14
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2N2
416-392-7919
councillor_perks@toronto.ca

www.gordperks.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted: 13 Feb 2009 02:24 PM CST

A couple of weeks ago I met with residents to discuss their concerns regarding the proposed development at 2154 Dundas St. Below I have clarified some issues that came up regarding zoning, Heritage designation and process for approval.

Please be advised that the Toronto Preservation Board will be hearing this property (report attached) at its meeting scheduled for Friday, February 20, 2009, at Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, 2nd Floor, Committee Room #4 at 2:00pm. If approved the report will be considered by the Toronto and East York Community Council at its meeting to be held on Thursday, March 26, 2009.

Further, 2154 Dundas is on the Committee of Adjustment agenda for March 4th. Please see attached.

Zoning :

2154 Bloor is zoned MCR (mixed commercial residential) and can be occupied as residential and/or commercial without applying for a variance regarding gross floor area, as the building was in its current form prior to July 20, 1993. However, the bylaw states that while residential uses are permitted as of right on the Property, introducing dwelling units into an existing commercial building triggers zoning requirements for residential purposes (eg. window separation and residential amenity space) not applicable to commercial uses and requires approval at Committee of Adjustment.

Currently the three variances are:

1. Section 8(3) Part II 1(A) (II) of By-law No. 438.86 - requires 5.5m set back - proposed building 1.975m

2. Section 4(12) of By-law No. 438-86 requires 86 square meters of indoor amenity space 0 is proposed; requires 86 square meters of outdoor amenity space - 40 is proposed

Heritage Designation:

2154 Dundas is listed on the Toronto’s Inventory of Heritage Properties. 2154 Dundas was listed prior to Plazacorp purchasing the property and is considered worthy of designation to preserve features on the interior and exterior of the building. To clarify, listing a property on the Inventory of Heritage Properties allows Heritage Preservation Services to review development and building applications affecting those properties. It also requires the owner to give the City 60 days notice of his or her intention to demolish the property. Listing only allows Heritage Preservation Services the opportunity to monitor and does not require the developer to get permission to alter or demolish. When a property is designated it confers a legal status giving HPS greater powers of refusal.

Time Line - Committee Approvals:

Heritage Board - Plazacorp has applied to the Feb 20th Heritage Preservation Board for Designation - if approved it will go to the March 26th Toronto and East York Community Council, for final approval at April meeting of City Council (notice attached)

Committee of Adjustment - Plazacorp is on the March 4th agenda for CofA (notice attached)

There will be an opportunity to depute at both board hearings.

If you have questions that you would like to pose to the developer, please contact Leslie Yager (lyager@plazacorp.com) and please cc my office.

Back