News   Jun 18, 2024
 105     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 326     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Feather Factory Lofts (Roncesvalles/Dundas, Plazacorp)

Was there not a time (in the last 10-20 years?) when the city was open to mixed zoning, or almost no zoning?

I ask because I rent a live/work studio that is (as far as I recall) not at all zoned residential, though *everyone* lives here. I realize renting is different than owning - but is it not a similar thing?

hi TKTKTK,

I think the following excerpt from Gordon Perks letter may answer your question.

"Currently the Property is zoned MCR. Under this zoning the City allows a wide range of commercial and residential uses, however, the building is currently classified as a commercial building which means that the loft must be used exclusively for commercial purposes.

Should a property owner want to use their loft for residential purposes, they must apply and obtain a building permit from the City of Toronto for the proposed change of use prior to commencing such residential use. Applying for such a permit would involve payment of application fees, the obtaining of planning approval(s), an application for a building permit for a change of use and the payment of a number of levies and charges."

Gord Perks and all the area nimbys are obviously against this development.This type of development exists all across the city.Plazacorp are the builders of West Harbour city.King West at Liberty Village,the Uptown etc.and are very reputable builders i doubt that they are scam artists.This area is poisoned with residents and politicians that are against any new development. Note that the Stinson Lofts around the corner at 6 or 7 stories had tons of oppisition before being build.Then there is the 29 story Giraffe Tower which i predict the area residents will shut down any effords for approval.Away from some big fancy homes in the residential areas this part of the city is looking run down.Its a Shame

Correct Hood Info

As a resident of the area I wanted to correct some information that has appeared in posts past in relation to sex offenders and Holly Jones.

The oft repeated quote about the number of sex offenders in the area was inaccurate and the result of the mania that surrounded the case. In fact depending on which newspaper you read there were different numbers, different areas, and different attributions for the quote. The most quoted was that there were 200 sex offenders within a 3 KM radius of her home.

First off,a simple 3 km radius is the entire west end of Toronto.; Not just one small community. It would take in lots of different communities. Somehow this fact changed to "in her neighborhood" during the manhunt.

The actual number and quote was initially attributed to police and then social workers and then just a "source" but never actually attributed to a specific report or person.

The reality, as written about a year later (2004) in the Globe and Mail by George Emerson, was that the statistic and its implications were a mistake made offhand that got caught up in the media swirl and nobody bothered to question it. Hollys area on Sterling Road, and in fact the West end has no more offenders per capita than anywhere else. Of course a year later the press were all over the Cecila case and the press had moved on and especially online thats why you still see this erroneous stat on display.

This information is important as people need to have a real image of the Dundas/Roncy area and the whole west end. I love the area and have lived in it for 29 years. The area around the Feather Factory is certainly undergoing a major improvement and is worth a look.

That said, the Feather Factory is a cheaply made fake loft that has a lot of legal issues to solve before anybody can call it a residence. More and more condos are having reduced parking as that kind of lifestyle becomes more of the norm but overall the issues here are huge and I really wonder what the developer was thinking. To call opposition NIMBYism is a bit inaccurate as Plazcorp is attempting to circumvent laws, zoning, approval, code, and fees.

In terms of the Giraffe at Dundas and Bloor, there is a fair amount of support for the building as many see that the corner really needs something to bring it back to life (there actually are some god stores there now). A new TTC entrance and a few other compromises are on the horizon so I think the odds are pretty good that it will happen; this is where buildings like this should be put and from what I have seen, unlike FF, this will be a quality building.

i for one had a hand in there demise..as did a few other locals that live in this area..i am Sidhemoon ...and i believe the loft people tried to rip people off by not telling the whole truth about zoning. i dont know if those that bought into it got their money back ?! it really was a matter of condo integriety...they semi lied and they took pics of me putting up posters on the poles until..my other half chased them off ..cheers Sidhe)0(

Plazacorp did try to pull a fast one this time ...they ddint have the lofts rezoned first before they tried to pass them off as residential

Plazacorp did try to pull a fast one this time ...they ddint have the lofts rezoned first before they tried to pass them off as residential

Thats not the end of the world.Eventully most of these run down old factories get rezoned from the city for work/live lofts.beats out siting empty without any takers.I hope Plazacorp has there way for the benifit of the area.

well deserved ... how did you hear Mike ?

Back