News   Jun 25, 2024
 676     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 704     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Only the most 'mature' among us will recall Lockhart's Camera Exchange (in a below-street-level shop) in the Temple Building at Bay & Richmond.

LockhartsCameraExchange.jpg

Only the most 'mature' among us will recall Lockhart's Camera Exchange (in a below-street-level shop) in the Temple Building at Bay & Richmond.

Great pic, Goldie! Here's one from Toronto No Mean City. Do you think the window on the right is the same shop?

2007-09-06-2308-57_edited.jpg

I do miss 'Alt's' camera exchange. It became a Henrys Outlet for a short while before it moved to Mississauga. Every big city downtown needs a 'camera exchange'. Alts sold old film cameras too - which seems to be having a bit of a renaissance - lots of young people (20s) carrying film SLRs nowadays. Like a piece of jewelry around their necks - quite neat to see.

I do miss 'Alt's' camera exchange. It became a Henrys Outlet for a short while before it moved to Mississauga. Every big city downtown needs a 'camera exchange'. Alts sold old film cameras too - which seems to be having a bit of a renaissance - lots of young people (20s) carrying film SLRs nowadays. Like a piece of jewelry around their necks - quite neat to see.

This event is not 'downtown' but it's still the greatest place to,buy, sell & trade used photo equipment.
Everything under the sun that's photographic.
Literally thousands of cameras!
Not to be missed by any photographer or student.
The spring event is May 27, 2012 - see attached

Attachments

• used photo equipment x.jpg
    used photo equipment x.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
lots of young people (20s) carrying film SLRs nowadays. Like a piece of jewelry around their necks - quite neat to see.

T'will NOT be me. I spent most of my life waiting for them to invent their way out of THAT paper bag. When digital finally came out, my knees hit the floor and I wept with joy. Never looked back. Film? That's what you get on milk if you leave it out. "Pushing soup"? That's what Campbell's does. Give me 1s and 0s or give me death. :)

"Give me 1s and 0s or give me death."
QUOTE Lone Primate.

'Know of what you speak, although not to the the same degree!

(Does this blasphemy mean that Clint and Prof Goldie, as well as Mustapha, will be gunning for us?)

Regards,
J T

Correction - May 27, 2012

Oops! My big mistake.
The date for that huge, used photo equipment sale is May 27, 2012 - see attached
The March 4 date is for a photographic auction at another location - more info at: phsc.ca
Both are worthy of attention.

Attachments

• used photo equipment x.jpg
    used photo equipment x.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 254
"Give me 1s and 0s or give me death."
QUOTE Lone Primate.

'Know of what you speak, although not to the the same degree!

(Does this blasphemy mean that Clint and Prof Goldie, as well as Mustapha, will be gunning for us?)

Regards,
J T

Well, I should probably say that I don't mean it in any absolute sense... I'm speaking purely for myself. :) At the risk of sounding condescending, I appreciate that there's real artistry in film photography. Quite honestly, I couldn't do it. When I had a film SLR in the late 80s and early 90s, I had no patience for it. For me, it was frustrating not knowing if a shot was any good till someone else produced it... having to wait till the whole roll was shot and the film developed and the prints made, and all of that costing money at every step. It just didn't work for me. I wanted it to, but it didn't. I knew I was waiting for something more immediate, more like working with audio. Then in '97 I saw the Kodak DC25--a real crappy camera any $120 bottom-of-the-line camera today could run circles around--and it was like the angels sang.

For me, I mean. For those of you who get film photography and the craft of it, I sincerely salute (and faintly envy) you. But for me, it's CCD, CMOS, and the 'Shop. :)

Last edited:
"Well, I should probably say that I don't mean it in any absolute sense... I'm speaking purely for myself."
QUOTE Lone Primate.

I WANT GUARANTIES!

(At the least 3, if not 4. - See above.)

Regards,
J T

(LOL)

Further to the photos of the Queen"s Park bandstand in the "Then and Now" thread:

Sunnyside:

f1266_it2560.jpg

CNE:

s0372_ss0001_it1399.jpg

Hanlan's Point:

s0071_it5156.jpg

From our American cousins:

Buffalo:

s0372_ss0053_it0065.jpg

Rochester:

s0372_ss0053_it0069.jpg

And from the Mother Country:

London:

London-Clapham-Common-Bandstand-1900s.jpg

Plymouth:

caead0c1.jpg

These two of the Brighton bandstand are for Urban Shocker. Surely its Victorian exuberance will warm his Georgian heart:

Brighton_Band_Stand_at_Dusk_by_richardsim7.jpg

brighton-bandstand-sunrise.jpg

Last edited:

Back