News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

Eaton Centre needs a facelift?

No, what replaced Parkin's Salvation Army--kitty-corner to Old City Hall at James & Albert--was the Indigo part of the Eaton Centre. (And while the loss was genuine, the building *did* have a touch of "leftover parcel" cheek-to-jowl awkwardness of context, so it's unsurprising that it's hard to tell anything was ever there today. However, a plaque commemorating Salvation Army was lately erected up front there...)

The male dancer with the dark hair in the first commercial was the late Renee Highway, brother of playwright Tomson Highway - uncles of actor Billy Merasty.

I have to agree with Adma. The mall has a nice look to it, with the railings and elevators and all, and I am afraid that any of the suggested "improvements" would actually end up doing a lot of damage to the asthetic quality of the mall, not to mention giving it a generic-nowhere look.

And I'll agree with both of you...Eaton Centre represents a rare and short-lived "High Tech" period of design. Zeidler had back-to-back home runs of this style, with Ontario Place and TEC...he had a real knack for this style....and then he moved on to more mundane stuff...too bad.

Eaton Centre was fully designed for this vernacular, including the details so many people are obviously unaware. Much of it has been ruined, but at least the interior of the atrium remains more-or-less intact....it should stay that way...glass can be cleaned...fresh coats of paint can be applied...this is not a problem. But all of the elements themselves are part of a cohesive design.

So no...you can't replace the railings.

The problem is, all architectural/design integrity at CF went out the door with the Bronfmans. Look what they've messed with at Mies' TD Centre...and that's an obvious no-brainer just don't mess with it and you'll be fine...touch it and your a fool situation. Of course they would alter anything and everything at TEC with no nod to its more esoteric design pedigree.

I'll admit that the original Yonge St facade did turn its retail back on the street, which was not all that great, but the design was coherent with the overall style of the original design...I'm not surprised the reno absolutely ignored the buildings original design for forgettable facades, while they may be more street-friendly.

This exterior High Tech design can still be seen from the park on the west side in Bell Trinity Square.

The Dundas atrium was ruined long before the recent H&M addition. I remember when the mall first opened, it was absolutely stunning (ok...in a 70's stunning way). That all-purple two-tired restaurant that hung over the then fully open atrium was pretty impressive. I suppose the appropriate 70's term would be..."chic"

Rather than the dingy food court that now inhabits the old Eatons 3-below, there was a food court on the upper level, about where Harry Rosen is now located....it had a pub overlooking Yonge Street, and various food outlets...it had a nice atmosphere to it.

And yes, the atrium was designed with plants in mind (another 70's thing I guess). And lots of them, flowing everywhere...a lot of planters are still there, as they were built into the overall metal work of the building....but tending to live plants is too much of a hassle...so they sit empty, been removed, or used foolishly as "stands" for something. The cascading water features have been long removed too....real shame.

The Eaton Centre may no longer be the marvel it once was...bigger malls have been built...people don't stand to watch the fountain spray its geyser and ooh and aawh any more, but it remains an oddity in the mall world...it was built with an incredible sense of style...one that should be preserved before it's too late.

And I'll agree with both of you...Eaton Centre represents a rare and short-lived "High Tech" period of design. Zeidler had back-to-back home runs of this style, with Ontario Place and TEC...he had a real knack for this style....and then he moved on to more mundane stuff...too bad.

And don't forget the most astounding high-tech home run which started it all: McMaster Health Sciences Centre...

Right...but wasn't it completed after Ontario place? At any rate, while it is not really an industrial building persay, it is institutional, and almost appropriate to the style, and also didn't really utilize off-the-shelf, prefab, or mass produced industrial components (although I will not stand behind this arguement too much).

To me, the whole point of the movement, was to bring the industrial style to a non-industrial context, such as residential, entertainment, leasure, shopping, etc, which is why I associate it more with Ontario Place and Eaton Centre.

While we're handing out praise on the style in Toronto, I suppose we have to mention Barton Myers and his own residence in Yorkville of 1970, as well as the amazing Wolf residence in Rosedale of 1974 (on my top 5 list of all-time fave houses in the city).

I still have my copy of Kron & Slesin's "HIGH-TECH" that I picked up around 1980, and have never really been able to shake the influence of the style, even though my tastes have gotten severely eclectic these days....I still have Metro shelving being used for various things, and can never pass a restaurant supply store without popping in for a look.

Here is a promotional brochure produced by Eaton's, rather pretentiously titled "The Dreams of Man", heralding the soon-to-be-opening Eaton Centre.

drm1.jpg

drm2.jpg

drm3.jpg

drm4.jpg

drm5.jpg

drm6.jpg

drm7.jpg

drm8.jpg

drm9.jpg

drm91.jpg

drm92.jpg

drm93.jpg

drm94.jpg

drm95.jpg

drm96.jpg

drm97.jpg

drm98.jpg

drm99.jpg

drm991.jpg

drm992.jpg

drm993.jpg

drm994.jpg

drm995.jpg

drm996.jpg

drm997.jpg

^ Thanks for that! Very interesting.

Curiously, I recognized this space despite the chicken scratch drawing:
drm9.jpg

That's the central area of SEARS that used to be the Men's Fragrance department but is now just stuffed with clothing racks. What a loss of that space. It was meant to be a grand area and it's lost that since the Mens' fragrances moved upstairs with the Ladies'.

Discover Toronto, John Richmond's illustrated notebook showing different buildings and streetscapes, was published around the same time as these illustrations. Copies of the book show up from time to time in places such as the St. Lawrence Sunday Antique Market.

Back