News   Jul 16, 2024
 672     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Eaton Centre needs a facelift?

Those elevators are possibly the most handsome in the entire city.

Handsome yes but way too small. Since I became a stroller pushing dad I've come to realize what a pain it is to get around the mall with wheels. You can barely get two strollers into the elevators. And that's if people that could use the escalators aren't already taking up space.

I also found it odd having the two McDonald's - food court and eat-in versions, right on top of each other as well.

Nothing odd about it. Obviously both are making lots of money.

I feel like the Eaton Centre has been gradually improving, in terms of the retail offering and general feel of the place, year after year. Definitely doesn't strike me as a renovation priority. I agree, though, that the southern entrance is underwhelming and could be redone to be a lot more grand and inviting.

The Coast Mountain addition, despite integrating the old facade, is garish and probably the worst architectural offender at the mall. The greenish metal paneling stepping back doesn't mesh well with the historic brick at all.

They also should do something to improve the Queen Station entrance from the street. It's pretty hidden and looks more like an emergency exit than an entrance to the subway.

The Coast Mountain addition, despite integrating the old facade, is garish and probably the worst architectural offender at the mall. The greenish metal paneling stepping back doesn't mesh well with the historic brick at all.

I recall Mr Man, a legendary early poster here, once stated this corner has enough density attached to it to put up a pretty significant tower.

I think the mall has aged pretty well. The food court could definitely use some work though. Whatever is done, they shouldn't get away from the look that defines the mall.

Mostly because thats all you can buy? Try finding a men's winter jacket that isn't black, grey, or brown or costs less than a thousand dollars. I've been search myself forever trying to find a nice dressy jacket that isn't black.

Handsome yes but way too small. Since I became a stroller pushing dad I've come to realize what a pain it is to get around the mall with wheels. You can barely get two strollers into the elevators. And that's if people that could use the escalators aren't already taking up space.
I agree. As a dad of twins it used to drive me nuts how abled folks would use the elevators. If you're not on wheels, use the escalator.

its a nice mall and with some better stores it will be a much nice mall.

I'm not advocating touching the architecture of the building. I support refreshing the finishings to update the look. Off white really belongs back in the 80's.

Altering the mullions, altering the railings, and *sigh* altering the off-white constitutes "touching the architecture of the building".

Take the H&M corner and the presently-in-progress rebuild of the CF Tower entrance as a warning against martyring oneself to "updating the look" at any cost.

And as far as using the current brightness and freshness of Yorkdale as a guideline; well, the 40-year-ago brightness and freshness of Yorkdale not only led to the building of the Eaton Centre, it very nearly led to the rebuilding/recladding of Simpsons along the lines suggested by the Simpson Tower. Take *that* as a warning, too...

If the Eaton Centre (heck all of Toronto) barred people wearing black winter coats the joint would be much more appealing!

That can be easily fixed... just turn the heat up in the mall to 30 degrees C and force all the people to take off their coats (and probably other pieces of clothing, but I won't go there).

I really like the Eaton Centre. It doesn't appear to have aged one bit! It looks just as modern (even futuristic) as the day I first stepped inside it umpteen years ago.

If there is one thing that I want to see changed, it's probably the lighting. The white lighting at Eaton Centre doesn't make it look like a classy place to shop. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I was at last year's Christmas Tree unveiling, when the white lights were turned off and the whole atrium was bathed in golden light...

2056544060_fbf4e1b97f_o.jpg

That is how Eaton Centre should be lit up every night.

re: Food Court

I always avoid the South Food Court. I only visit the North Food Court only when I'm hungry, and I usually eat the food I buy there in the subway.

I don't really see a point for food courts at the Eaton Centre. Why not move all the fast food franchises out of the Eaton Centre to Yonge Street, Queen Street and Dundas Street? Get people to step out of the mall for a cheap bite. That would help to improve street life around the Eaton Centre.

Back