News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

Eaton Centre needs a facelift?

They just need better signage for the elevators.

They've tried various versions of signage. It's not the signage, so much - it's the users. People see an elevator bank, and assume that all the elevators see all the floors. They don't read the signs right in front of their face, because they're busy talking to their friends, fussing over their baby, etc.

Great link! It seemed like there was a bit more greenery back in the day near the Eaton's Store on the top and 2nd levels. Does anyone know when the section with the GAP and HMV created? Was the north foodcourt always there?

The Eaton Centre entrances, all of Royal Bank Plaza's interior public space, some of Yorkdale, the TTC subway platforms as a coherent whole - examples of how much can be lost when people who don't recognise what is good original design replace it with what's passing fashionable or economically expedient.

If the Eaton Centre (heck all of Toronto) barred people wearing black winter coats the joint would be much more appealing!

That's my major issue with Toronto winter: why do Torontonians overwhelmingly wear dull black coats and winter accessories? Barf....

It's difficult driving at night with this current fashion. The city seems to be populated with people going to a night-time funeral or something.:)

Does anyone know when the section with the GAP and HMV created? Was the north foodcourt always there?

It was all carved out of the lower levels of Eaton's c1990--for the first time, one could pass from end to end without having to penetrate the Eaton's store.

The earliest Eaton Centre food court was around where Body Shop presently is by the N Queen subway entrance--I can't remember whether the S food court's always been there, or if it was carved out in the 80s along with the Cadillac Fairview construction...

Did Albert St ever run through the Eaton Centre? I once read in some Cadillac Fairview literature that the most recent addition to the centre (prior to the new Dundas St end) was "Albert's Way". How could the middle but have been built last?

No it didn't.

Would "Albert's Way" be referring to the new Indigo-zone addition and entrance (i.e. that which replaced Parkin's Salvation Army--ironically for such a sacrifice, perhaps, the final built incarnation of EC's "founding aesthetic?)?

Did Albert St ever run through the Eaton Centre? I once read in some Cadillac Fairview literature that the most recent addition to the centre (prior to the new Dundas St end) was "Albert's Way". How could the middle but have been built last?

Yes and no. Albert Street did once run to Yonge Street, but that section of the road has been closed since the Eaton Centre construction.

In exchange for closing Albert Street, however, the City imposed an obligation on the owners of the Eaton Centre lands to keep the pedestrian access from Albert St. to Yonge St. open 24/7.

As for the CF literature, I agree with the comment above that the reference to "Albert's Way" was likely refering to the new entrance next to Tristan.

Having said that, somewhere I have a mid-70s promotional booklet published by Eaton's promoting the soon-to-be-constructed Eaton Centre, and it does contain (IIRC) drawings showing a large "Albert Way" sign (or something close to that) above the Yonge Street entrance where Albert formerly terminated.

The Eaton Centre was built in two phases with the phase north of Albert built first. Perhaps that's what they are talking about?

The Eaton Centre was built in two phases with the phase north of Albert built first. Perhaps that's what they are talking about?

There's no denying that Albert St once went to Yonge, and the present transverse perpetuates the path--and indeed, marked a convenient midpoint to "phase" construction (N of Albert was finished 1977, S of Albert in 1979). But CDL.TO's question was whether the actual street went through even after the EC was opened, and the middle part built last (which would have made the Galleria part discontinuous, at least at ground level).

No, what happened was the replacement to this.

No, what happened was the replacement to this.

Which was itself a replacement to this?
f1244_it1998.jpg

Back