News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 632     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 913     0 

East York-Old East York

Across from Pappas Grill you have Omonia and Kalyvia.

I've heard a rumor that Mr.Greek will be moving into the space that was Donlands Bakery.

Pape is definitely becoming Danforth North.

Omonia! That's the other large place I was thinking of.

The lack of imagination here really annoys me. Instead of opening yet another souvlaki joint -- and BTW, I stll like Folia Grill on Pape -- why not do something different? Clearly, the city has moved on from souvlakis etc. Messinis pulled off a success with its high-end gyros, although Alexandros was there first. Now everybody rushes to copy the formula.

Greek cuisine is about a lot more than meat on a stick. Fish is a staple, as are pastas, beans and meat-based "pies" such as moussaka and pastitso.

The Greek restos in Montreal are mostly "psaro tavernas" -- fish taverns -- and the food is simple and beautiful and healthful. Here's are some examples, both high and low end.
http://www.faros.ca/index.html
http://www.restomontreal.ca/restaurants/show_website.php?resto_id=2027&weblink=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.restaurantzante.com

When we first moved here and were disappointed to not find psarotavernas, I attributed to the lack of a fish-eating culture here (aside from fish and chips) which Quebec had from being settled by people from the north coast of France plus the Catholic fish on Fridays things. But everybody seems to love sushi now so I don't get it.

Yes, that's what I heard about Mr Greek..moving into the Donlands Bakery...while it may seem like a major downsize, they started out in a much smaller space (where Healthy Planet is now) and with the separate pool hall/video games in the back space...and the Greek Grill which also used to be the Healthy Planet space, also moved up Pape too

Last edited:
When did Donlands Bakery close? I bought feta and baklava there around Christmas. It was the best place for good feta (ie. sheep/goats milk) in town, as far as I was concerned. Always seemed busy. I guess the owners retired.

When did Donlands Bakery close? I bought feta and baklava there around Christmas. It was the best place for good feta (ie. sheep/goats milk) in town, as far as I was concerned. Always seemed busy. I guess the owners retired.

I think you are thinking of someplace else because Google Maps shows the windows papered over as far back as July 2014

Last edited:
Looks like I was thinking of Select bakery, which is on Donlands about the same distance from O'Connor. I just just assumed that Donlands bakery was, you know, on Donlands. :)

Good luck finding the Greenwood Smokehouse, or the Danforth Veterinary Clinic...

Haha I know what you mean. As a side-note, the feta at Select is great. Real (sheep/goat mix) feta that actually tastes like it should. It's my go-to place now. The baklava is good, as well, but we tend to prefer the dryer, Lebanese style these days.

Good luck finding the Greenwood Smokehouse, or the Danforth Veterinary Clinic...

Bwahahaha.

That strip at the top of Donlands -- I love its rounded lines -- has some interesting, eclectic food shopping.

The (Greek) Select Bakery

The Leslieville Cheese Market -- the one not actually in Leslieville, Therion :) (Is it true the original on Queen E has been closed?)

The Chocolate Box for English treat lovers ... Cadbury Flake! Horlick's Tablets!

And, across the street, Fresh from the Farm, the Mennonite organic food store.

Not far from there, on O'Connor just east of Pape in another 40s style strip, is Valentino's Smokin' Salmon where they also sell fillets.

All that's missing is a good produce market.

No worries. I wanted to confirm because your post caused me some angst - I always go to the Queen East shop for cheese platters (keep forgetting that they have one on Donlands). I also always forget that there is a store on Donlands that sells English treats.

Back