News   Apr 26, 2024
 398     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 525     0 

East York-Old East York

A question for long-time East Yorkers: What stood originally on the site of those award-winning townhomes at the SW corner of Pape and Mortimer? As a kid in the 90s I remember it was an empty field.

A question for long-time East Yorkers: What stood originally on the site of those award-winning townhomes at the SW corner of Pape and Mortimer? As a kid in the 90s I remember it was an empty field.

yes, it was the field belonging to the secondary school that became Centennial college (and also "Degrassi High" for a few years).

yes, it was the field belonging to the secondary school that became Centennial college (and also "Degrassi High" for a few years).

Due the demands of the Second World War, the Normal School was forced to relocate to the former Earl Kitchener Public School at Pape and Mortimer Avenues in nearby East York in 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Normal_School

and ...

n the summer of 1941, the influence of the conflict was felt by the School in another way. A call came from the Department of National Defence for quarters in Toronto for Initial Training School No. 6, in connection with the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The Government of Ontario promptly offered the buildings of the Normal and Model Schools and arrangements were quickly completed for the transfer of the teacher-training institution to the building known as the Earl Kitchener Public School. This three-storey building of seven*teen rooms, located at 870 Pape Avenue in the Township of East York, was made available through the co-operation of the Toronto Board of Education. Though lacking an adequate auditorium, and having no gymnasium, the building provided reasonably satisfactory temporary quarters for the Normal School.

http://canada.yodelout.com/toronto-normal-school-today/

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the research.

Here is the plaque at the corner:

Earl_Kitchener_Public_School_Plaque.jpg

http://torontoplaques.com/Pages/Earl_Kitchener_Public_School.html

Attachments

• Earl_Kitchener_Public_School_Plaque.jpg
    Earl_Kitchener_Public_School_Plaque.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,131
I posted this news in the LCBO thread, but a demolition permit was issued on Feb 25 for the LCBO store at 1009 Coxwell (south of O'Connor). Northern Light reported in that thread that the LCBO will be building a new 12,000 sq. ft. store. Should be a real improvement to the commercial strip at the top of Coxwell, which is already undergoing some very positive changes.

coxwell.jpg

Attachments

• coxwell.jpg
    coxwell.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,109
Should be a real improvement to the commercial strip at the top of Coxwell, which is already undergoing some very positive changes.

I haven't been along that strip in a while. Apart from the Starbucks are there any recent retail developments?

There's a new gourmet burger place, a nice housewares/gift shop and a cute patisserie (although there might have been a bakery in that location before IIRC). A new LCBO might give it a further shot in the arm.

And a new Thai place to boot. Has anyone tried it? If I end up in that neck of the woods I always get pho at Little Coxwell, but we love Thai food so will probably give the new resto a shot. It's nice to see the strip improve. It was a real s-hole when we first started going there. The LCBO was quite useless. Small and grungy.

For those affected by the closure of the Coxwell/O'Connor LCBO, I was told by a store employee that they will have a small temporary LCBO trailer at the Shoppers parking lot at Woodbine/O'Connor.

I always go to the LCBO in Leaside (on Laird). It's much easier to park there than at Coxwell and O'Connor. I have no idea how they'll get enough parking spots for an expanded store.

Back