News   Apr 25, 2024
 90     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

East York-Old East York

I live in the triangle (north of O'Connor) and we almost never get blackouts. Even during the long Christmas blackout, we only lost power for a couple of seconds. During the big summer blackout of 2003, our power came back well before I got up to go to work the next day. In fact, I was almost out the door when my husband informed me that rest of the city was still in blackout.

The V Nails place is good although I'm surprised they get enough business to stay open. I haven't been into the fish place but also surprised they stay open. The corner does not get a lot of pedestrian traffic and I think a lot of people in the neighbourhood drive to work based on the usual emptiness of the number 8 bus.

My family has been in EY since 1994.

They live near the McDonalds in a house and I guess this area was easier for us to walk to alot of places than ppl who live deeper in the other side streets so my experience will be of one who lived near pape/cosburn.

I recall TTC was never a problem except it was really packed all the time on broadview or pape...sometimes I had to walk to mortimer.

Food basics may be crappy but it was a close walk, fresh produce is available at the shop near SDM (it's under Korjus tutorial and I know that guy use to teach at Westwood School)
There use to be another produce shop across Scotiabank that is now a cash for money store.

Jack the barbershop was a good old man but I heard he got sick and stopped working.
3 Banks to serve you on Pape (CIBC, TD, SCOTIA) and a quick drive to RBC on Coxwell/O'Connor
The danish pastry shop is pretty good near Gowan Ave.

KFC is close by too, and there use to be Pizza Hut before Serano took over and expanded into that spot.
There is a jerk place behind Serano which is pretty good.
I recall I use to go to Mr Sub/241 Pizza, Family Stop next to Food Basics a lot.

Sobeys and Dairy queen wasn't that far of a walk from McDonald's area and I remember when those houses were built behind Sobeys, I think the asking price from the builder was in the 300's and now they look to be $600-700k.

Even the condo built next to Dairy queen was relatively cheap back then.
And the dealership next to Sobey's/across the condo on pottery turned into some Latter Day Saints Church.

There was a video game rental store across McDonald's back in the day, I think it is either the salon now or the laundry mat place...

Sorry for the random memories but I typed them as I remember them.

I think EY is a great place and under valued since it's so close to Laird/Eglinton (like 5-10min drive from the McDonald's) and very close to Downtown Toronto (20-25min) by Pottery to Bayview Extension to Distillery District now.

If I can find a place in EY, I wouldn't mind picking it up because I know this area is the next place to be in 5-10 years if you still want to be central

My family has been in EY since 1994.

They live near the McDonalds in a house and I guess this area was easier for us to walk to alot of places than ppl who live deeper in the other side streets so my experience will be of one who lived near pape/cosburn.

I recall TTC was never a problem except it was really packed all the time on broadview or pape...sometimes I had to walk to mortimer.

Food basics may be crappy but it was a close walk, fresh produce is available at the shop near SDM (it's under Korjus tutorial and I know that guy use to teach at Westwood School)
There use to be another produce shop across Scotiabank that is now a cash for money store.

Jack the barbershop was a good old man but I heard he got sick and stopped working.
3 Banks to serve you on Pape (CIBC, TD, SCOTIA) and a quick drive to RBC on Coxwell/O'Connor
The danish pastry shop is pretty good near Gowan Ave.

KFC is close by too, and there use to be Pizza Hut before Serano took over and expanded into that spot.
There is a jerk place behind Serano which is pretty good.
I recall I use to go to Mr Sub/241 Pizza, Family Stop next to Food Basics a lot.

Sobeys and Dairy queen wasn't that far of a walk from McDonald's area and I remember when those houses were built behind Sobeys, I think the asking price from the builder was in the 300's and now they look to be $600-700k.

Even the condo built next to Dairy queen was relatively cheap back then.
And the dealership next to Sobey's/across the condo on pottery turned into some Latter Day Saints Church.

There was a video game rental store across McDonald's back in the day, I think it is either the salon now or the laundry mat place...

Sorry for the random memories but I typed them as I remember them.

I think EY is a great place and under valued since it's so close to Laird/Eglinton (like 5-10min drive from the McDonald's) and very close to Downtown Toronto (20-25min) by Pottery to Bayview Extension to Distillery District now.

If I can find a place in EY, I wouldn't mind picking it up because I know this area is the next place to be in 5-10 years if you still want to be central

I completely agree. It makes so much sense as it is not far at all and, with a few more buses and some sort of Pape line (light rail or whatever), it will be booming -- although I think a rail line might have a negative impact on the Pape merchants.

You mention that former dealership on Broadview that's now a church. I will bet anything that that will turn into a condo or townhouse project within five years.

Sounds like this recent blackout was in the old city of Toronto, not East York (nor the Beaches for that matter) - the affected area is described as Danforth to Eastern, Pape to Coxwell. As for the east end generally having older equipment, I don't know. I know a couple of years ago there had been a string of blackouts in the west end and there were similar questions. I think hydro infrastructure throughout older parts of the city, east and west, is in need of serious attention.

Thanks, I didn't even notice that Star article was dated Oct. 7. Mind you, of all the areas listed in the tweets, only one, Danforth/Vic Park, is East York (East York or Scarborough depending on which quadrants were affected), although Gerrard/Main, Gerrard/Vic Park and Eglinton/Vic Park aren't all that far from the old boundary. But all that means is that this problem of aging equipment is widespread in many east end communities.

Noticed a new restaurant being done up on the east side of Pape, just south of Mortimer, in the old souvlaki place. I think it used to King Souvlaki. Can't recall. Anyway, the new sign looks kinda cool and, although I have forgotten the name already, it struck me as a steak & ribs kind of idea.

Also the new coffee place south of there has opened and has a beautiful "Graze" sign.

Things are looking up for the tired old Pape strip.

Yes, indeed. And there even appears to be a new espresso place off Pape, next to the new Tzatziki restaurant. At least I think so - hard to tell when driving past.

I think the new place you're describing is called Chicago or some variation on that.

Yes, indeed. And there even appears to be a new espresso place off Pape, next to the new Tzatziki restaurant. At least I think so - hard to tell when driving past.

I think the new place you're describing is called Chicago or some variation on that.

I believe the espresso place is, in fact, connected to Tzatziki in some fashion, physically and/or financially.

And yes. Chicago. When I saw that, I thought "MEAT!"

It does look meat and potatoes. Steak.

Looks perhaps a little too high-end'ish to be sandwiched next to a run-down auto repair garage, but we'll see, I suppose.

Just noticed that, same side of Pape, maybe a block or two north, a smaller place ALSO called Chicago, with a similar black and red sign, was opened or is opening. This one said "Chicago Pizza and Wings" -- or maybe it was "Chicago Wings and Pizza." I can't track it down online.

Also, I checked out Goat Coffee on Pape at the NE corner of Sammon and I pronounce it excellent for coffee, snacks, sandwiches and even hot meals!

http://www.goatcoffeeco.com/

Things are improving very quickly, as they had to with the yuppification of the area.

A friend in the restaurant biz told me that that a big Danforth restaurant will be making a move to a smaller location on Pape

A friend in the restaurant biz told me that that a big Danforth restaurant will be making a move to a smaller location on Pape

Not many of those biggies left ... Astoria, Christina's, Pappas Grill, the one opposite Pappas Grill whose name escapes me, Mr. Greek.

I would put my money on the latter. Huge location. Never full. But, to my mind, it has the very best patio in terms of size and sunshine.

By the way, the Chicago Eatery hasn't yet opened. Anybody know anything?

Not many of those biggies left ... Astoria, Christina's, Pappas Grill, the one opposite Pappas Grill whose name escapes me, Mr. Greek.

I would put my money on the latter. Huge location. Never full. But, to my mind, it has the very best patio in terms of size and sunshine.

By the way, the Chicago Eatery hasn't yet opened. Anybody know anything?

Across from Pappas Grill you have Omonia and Kalyvia.

I've heard a rumor that Mr.Greek will be moving into the space that was Donlands Bakery.

Pape is definitely becoming Danforth North.

Back