Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

No major news here, just a couple of notes.

There will be no major new buildings on site till the berms go in along the Don Roadway side of the site; that project in turn is intertwined w/the Gardiner East replacement, in whatever form that takes.

The Gardiner project starts massive cashflow in 2020, based on currently approved plans/budgets.

It is correct that the Occupancy of the first buildings cannot be done until the Flood protection is installed. But the buildings will start construction to be complete in time for flood protection to be in place and basically open right when it is finished.

The Gardiner East does have a small effect on the site, but not as important as the flood protection. The two are not as intertwined as it would seem.

On the Amazon front, most signs are pointing to Virginia getting it. First Gulf wouldn't bet the whole development only on getting Amazon so there would definitely be other players lined up behind the scenes to occupy parts of the 10 million sqft of space. To add to that point the full build out of the site wouldn't be until at least 2035-40. plenty of time to have things move around.

Cheers,

It is correct that the Occupancy of the first buildings cannot be done until the Flood protection is installed. But the buildings will start construction to be complete in time for flood protection to be in place and basically open right when it is finished.

The Gardiner East does have a small effect on the site, but not as important as the flood protection. The two are not as intertwined as it would seem.

On the Amazon front, most signs are pointing to Virginia getting it. First Gulf wouldn't bet the whole development only on getting Amazon so there would definitely be other players lined up behind the scenes to occupy parts of the 10 million sqft of space. To add to that point the full build out of the site wouldn't be until at least 2035-40. plenty of time to have things move around.

Cheers,

If I recall correctly the berm is south of the Gardiner-DVP ramps - if there is anything that it affects, it will be mainly Don roadway/Don roadway-DVP ramps that will have to be reconstructed.

AoD

The berm will start immediately south of the rail corridor embankment, and there will have to be some measures taken north of that too. I believe that any redevelopment of the BMW site to the north will need berming, and/or the break in the berm for Broadview Avenue has to be taken into consideration. Entrances to the Relief Line station also have to be protected if a berm does not extend south from Eastern Avenue to the rail embankment.

The berm will start immediately south of the rail corridor embankment, and there will have to be some measures taken north of that too. I believe that any redevelopment of the BMW site to the north will need berming, and/or the break in the berm for Broadview Avenue has to be taken into consideration. Entrances to the Relief Line station also have to be protected if a berm does not extend south from Eastern Avenue to the rail embankment.

I'd have to take out some of the East Harbour plans for a look.

AoD

Last edited:
Ah, as it turns on, it is set back further from the Don than I realize with the Don Roadway on the "wet" side of the FPL - from the RZ Flood Study:

upload_2018-10-23_16-0-21.png

(First Gulf/WSP)

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-23_16-0-21.png
    upload_2018-10-23_16-0-21.png
    126 KB · Views: 1,377
New (placeholder) rendering of the East Harbour site up on the official website. Some differences which can help us understand the potential massing of towers that the most recent rendering seems to have a more dense cluster of towers in the centre. Additionally, the park with the "Amazon domes" on the south-east part of the site is now represented by a building. Also, it is at a slightly different angle. Again, remember that this is a placeholder.

TgSlkR3.jpg

Compared to the last/older rendering:

aiis3XH.jpg

I feel like this location has the potential to go for something even bigger, like the (Hudson Yards) in NYC. Density, shading of nearby buildings or transportation wouldn't be an issue here, so why not go larger to add more to Toronto's skyline.

I feel like this location has the potential to go for something even bigger, like the (Hudson Yards) in NYC. Density, shading of nearby buildings or transportation wouldn't be an issue here, so why not go larger to add more to Toronto's skyline.
Though UTers may want to 'add more to the Toronto skyline' developers want to make $$$ and this is already HUGE development in a 'new' area that will undoubtedly not be too easy to sell (until it 'takes off''.) If it does so before it is completed I bet it will go higher but until then.....

Last edited:
Though UTers may want to 'add more to the Toronto skyline' developers want to make $$$ and this is already HUGE development in a 'new' area that will undoubtedly not be too easy to sell (until it 'takes off''. If it does so before it is completed I bet it will go higher but until then.....

Agreed 100%. Also we have to remember that this site will house 50,000 jobs eventually. That's huge, even if it doesn't mean XL massive towers.

I like the old render because it shows the scope of the general area, and that it is the makings of a new business district. The new render is so super zoomed that it looks like an extension of the cbd, which is fine (and it arguably is). But so zoomed to the point it looks photoshopped, even the airport looks a few blocks away. *sorry, hope that didn't come across as a gripe. The new render looks awesome, and I do tend to like telescopic skyline shots so it works well in that regard.

Last edited:
Yeah - this one at its current height is a total game changer east of the Don.
For example - I was in the parking lot of Loblaws at Leslie/Lake Shore yesterday and could see River City 3 clear as day from there.

The new render looks really nice, it looks like an entirely new business district. I love the idea of going for more unique architecture, it's a stark contrast to the traditional boxy styling of Toronto's CBD. It'll be neat to see which companies fill up all that commercial space, if any are even interested at all. With all the current office construction and proposals that are closer to going forward, East Harbour will definitely be a while.

New (placeholder) rendering of the East Harbour site up on the official website. Some differences which can help us understand the potential massing of towers that the most recent rendering seems to have a more dense cluster of towers in the centre. Additionally, the park with the "Amazon domes" on the south-east part of the site is now represented by a building. Also, it is at a slightly different angle. Again, remember that this is a placeholder.

TgSlkR3.jpg

Compared to the last/older rendering:

aiis3XH.jpg
It almost looks like the office towers are circling and crowding the central plaza, making it covered in shadow for most of the day. Wouldn't we want to be shifting the massing to maximize sunlight there? I have no problem with the tower heights, just their placement and shape.

Back