News   Mar 28, 2024
 75     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 219     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

"Downtown" elites?

All politics is local. Something many people forget. Railing against "downtown elites" is a great way to redirect anger against why progress has not been made on issues you care about.

Mammoliti was going on the other day about the post-amalgamation suburbs getting their fair share of tax dollars. I don't know but I would gladly compare my downtown-ish property tax bill tax records with someone from his Ward to prove otherwise.

Actually, several times over the years I posed a project for any young enterprising urban studies student. Use public property tax records data to produce a property tax heat-map or elevation map superimposed onto the map of the city. See how this has changed or not changed over time.

Reactions: BJH
Mammoliti was going on the other day about the post-amalgamation suburbs getting their fair share of tax dollars. I don't know but I would gladly compare my downtown-ish property tax bill tax records with someone from his Ward to prove otherwise.

Actually, several times over the years I posed a project for any young enterprising urban studies student. Use public property tax records data to produce a property tax heat-map or elevation map superimposed onto the map of the city. See how this has changed or not changed over time.
Ah yes, Il Duce Benito Mammoliti, claiming to know mathematics when he actually manipulates them.

There's absolutely no doubt that the only local 24-hour news channel in our part of the world is becoming increasingly pro-Fraud.

CP24 should rename itself CP2Ford or CP2-4.

Not only is the news biased in favour of Fraud, but the commercials all tend to pander to Fraud Nation (note the number of fossil fuel-powered car commercials (and for related businesses such as dealerships, car maintenance shops, and even injury lawyers) and commercials for specialized pawnbrokers (such as Russell Oliver and Harold the Jewellery Buyer) as well for example).

Bring back CityNews Channel!

Last edited:
People have called it CP2Ford for years. Their bias is nothing new.
It really isn't.

Media Bias Fact Check isn't accurate when it comes to some Canadian news sources.

Here's Media Bias Fact Check's review of CP24: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cp24/

Unfortunately, the reviewers clearly didn't see the pro-Fraud bias and mostly reviewed the website rather than the actual television channel (and focussed too much on Stephen LeDrew's termination).

If we were Media Bias Fact Check, we would classify CP24 as Right-Centre.

There's absolutely no doubt that the only local 24-hour news channel in our part of the world is becoming increasingly pro-Fraud.

CP24 should rename itself CP2Ford or CP2-4.

Not only is the news biased in favour of Fraud, but the commercials all tend to pander to Fraud Nation (note the number of fossil fuel-powered car commercials (and for related businesses such as dealerships, car maintenance shops, and even injury lawyers) and commercials for specialized pawnbrokers (such as Russell Oliver and Harold the Jewellery Buyer) as well for example).

Bring back CityNews Channel!

I can't really say I've noticed the content coverage is biased in any particular direction, but in terms of their advertising content, I just view that (such as the ones cited) as local content advertisers. It's a GTA-centred news channel so is going to attract advertising clients that want to target that audience. Harold isn't likely to pay for time on the national CTV news channel. I don't know a thing about selling broadcast advertising time, but I can't see a sales department chasing a certain 'class' of client or turning down ones that don't fit a certain philosophical profile.
Having said all of that, it's owned by Bell so nothing would surprise me.

People have called it CP2Ford for years. Their bias is nothing new.

Cp24 is simple and basic and as a result, never breaks down the news, but it is hardly biased.

Calling Cp24 right wing is more a reflection of your own personal distorted view that everything to your right is actually 'the right' then based on any grounded reasoning. I would call The Sun or National Post right wing.

Using this logic CBC News is extremely biased as they have far more opinion and subjective reporting of the news then CP24. CBC routinely uses loaded and coded language to play to emotion and sympathy towards liberal ideals and frankly, I don't care if they have a liberal bias, as it is a great source of news. CP24 is a great source of local news to me as many newspaper websites are more full of opinion pieces as clickbait then the news.

cp24 just plays it very simplistic and basic and focuses on stories that would cater to an audience that is likely mostly suburban.

So Cp24 may be seen as biased but it's because it just stays mostly simple and uncontroversial. While people think media as a whole should be more 'activist' against populists and such.

Last edited:
Calling Cp24 right wing is more a reflection of your own personal distorted view of the world then based on any grounded reasoning. I would call The Sun or National Post Right Wing really...

Using this logic CBC News is extremely biased as they have far more opinion and subjective reporting of the news then CP24. CBC routinely uses loaded and coded language to play to emotion and sympathy towards liberal ideals and frankly I dont care if they have a liberal bias.

I dont see how CP24 is biased as they mostly just repeat the news stories in a rather matter of fact manner and is why a lot of people watch it. Also cp24 has a mostly suburban audience so it makes sense the advertising would target a suburban audience.
All media is biased. I didn’t say it wasn’t. Yes, CBC leans left, and yes the Sun and the Post lean right. The Globe was Slee, and the Star leans left. CP24 gives Fords more direct air time than other stations and has always seemed more sympathetic to them than other outlets, even since LeDrew left.

All media is biased. I didn’t say it wasn’t. Yes, CBC leans left, and yes the Sun and the Post lean right. The Globe was Slee, and the Star leans left. CP24 gives Fords more direct air time than other stations and has always seemed more sympathetic to them than other outlets, even since LeDrew left.

As I said Cp24 is very simple and basic so unlike the CBC they never ask in-depth questions or deep questions about things so whenever the Fords are on, they mostly get a pass but so does everyone else as a result.

So I would argue its not a right-wing bias, its frankly some people want CP24 to be more critical of things.

However, I think CP24's business model is simple and basic.

Cp24 is simple and basic and as a result, never breaks down the news, but it is hardly biased.

Calling Cp24 right wing is more a reflection of your own personal distorted view that everything to your right is actually 'the right' then based on any grounded reasoning. I would call The Sun or National Post right wing.

Using this logic CBC News is extremely biased as they have far more opinion and subjective reporting of the news then CP24. CBC routinely uses loaded and coded language to play to emotion and sympathy towards liberal ideals and frankly, I don't care if they have a liberal bias, as it is a great source of news. CP24 is a great source of local news to me as many newspaper websites are more full of opinion pieces as clickbait then the news.

cp24 just plays it very simplistic and basic and focuses on stories that would cater to an audience that is likely mostly suburban.

So Cp24 may be seen as biased but it's because it just stays mostly simple and uncontroversial. While people think media as a whole should be more 'activist' against populists and such.

You think so? Just think what kind of stories and programmes tend to lead CP24. There is nothing "simple" about these choices. Chosing NOT to do something (e.g. ask pointed questions) is also a bias. Also, listen to yourself - "emotional and coded language" - and apply it to the types of news that gets heavy airing on CP24. It's like the opioid of news.

AoD

Last edited:
I think they hire a younger hipster multicultural group to hide their true leanings. no one will notice what we are doing... the younger hipster multicultural people may indeed be left but who ever is the programmer is the one that matters... everyone needs a paycheck

I would also argue that their simplistic, headline approach to news reporting is in and of itself right leaning, at least in today’s incarnation of right leaning. Who wants indepth, thought-provoking information when you can just rant and rave at a headline? Just like the Sun, they know their audience, i.e., Ford supporters.

Back