News   Apr 25, 2024
 126     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 319     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 510     0 

Dead/Decaying Malls of Greater Toronto

I really liked the original Village by the Grange mall. Very unique and interesting...but also very much a product of the times. A much smaller and bland retail operation still exists, with little to remind you of what once used to exist, but well-used by the OCAD students that would not have been born yet when the original existed.

I feel the same way about Queen's Quay Terminal.

Mall at Dixon and Islington:

The lead tenant (Loblaws), vacated this space over two years ago. Look at all that land for development.

This is an extremely intriguing one--not a mall (though there's an older remnant strip plaza to the east) so much as a state-of-the-art purpose-built Loblaws megastore from 1986. That's right, the Golden Age of Decadent and Dave Nicol. Closed after the Real Canadian Superstore opened up at Weston + 401; how fragile the state of the art of yesteryear is...

The lead tenant (Loblaws), vacated this space over two years ago. Look at all that land for development...

actually, i noticed that there are some new tenants who are thinking of moving in.

mall1for-web.jpg

mall3forweb.jpg

The newspaper boxes look like they actually have papers in them.

you know what's weird? they did have papers in them!
all of the newspaper boxes are continuing to be freshly stocked every morning...
it would be a bit of a strange walk through a vaguely post-apocalyptic landscape to get the day's news....

There's a TOPS Chinese Supermarket taking the space of the formerly vacated Ontario Farms at Alderwood Plaza.

There aren't too many visible minorities in this neck of the woods, so I'm not sure how long will this one last considering the last supermarket here went out of business in less than 6 months.

Poor Galeria Mall. I grew up in that place. I lived just down the street on Halem & Gladstone.

First they knock down my school (St.Anthony's) and now they want to knock down my hangout. :(

What the heck! Burn the sucker down! I'd rather see a flourishing neighborhood there. The railway to the north seems to have sucked the life out of Dufferin and its branched streets.

Just one thing... DO NOT touch McD's! Apparently its one of the busiest in the city.

If the "experts" get your plans for the Galeria, they would add ing to the park and make it parking.

Myself, I would put the parking out of sight, either underground or in a garage. Beside the railroad would be a good location for a garage.

I liek it so far, however those residential buildings backing on the railway line will be nearly unmarketbale. That is a very busy railway line, at all hours of the day.

Also, how about a reference to the site's former use as the Dominion Radiator Co. factory? Dominion St., or somesuch.

...however those residential buildings backing on the railway line will be nearly unmarketbale. That is a very busy railway line, at all hours of the day...

Condos are being built at the old Canadian Tire site at Keele and the railway, just north of Dundas. The same crosstown railway line you are talking about.

(And possible DRL station site.)

Good point.

Those ones on Keele were starting at 165k or so, which might make some people overlook the noise and vibration. But I suspect a few people will move in there and realize they don't like noise, so there might be a whole bunch relisted in short order.

Back