1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 831     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Dead/Decaying Malls of Greater Toronto

My groups proposal:
galleria.jpg

Why did you guys propose towers in a park on the north side of Dupont?

I'm always for straightening out streets.

But there's not much you can do with the railway right there. Personally I'd put the retail (with parking) on that side.

Also, how about a reference to the site's former use as the Dominion Radiator Co. factory? Dominion St., or somesuch.

Name's already used elsewhere.

Poor Galeria Mall. I grew up in that place. I lived just down the street on Halem & Gladstone.

I know that's meant to be "Hallam", though it's weird how it reads as "Harlem"...

I liek it so far, however those residential buildings backing on the railway line will be nearly unmarketbale. That is a very busy railway line, at all hours of the day.

Also, how about a reference to the site's former use as the Dominion Radiator Co. factory? Dominion St., or somesuch.

And where is Cityplace being built?

We did have concerns about the rail line and residential at first, and we actually had just made it office space in the beginning along with retail. Later on our professor saw it and suggested we make it residential to meet our density target. He said now days you can use materials that pretty much block out sound and vibration. The lower floors are still retail and office space, so the residential is a few stories above the railway anyway.

As for parking, most streets have space for on street parking, you can see it in the cross sections. There are also parking garages under the building next to the square off Dufferin, under the townhouses in the park, and under the building marked retail. (I just realized our cross section for that street is wrong. It has the first few floors listed as parking, while on the map its shown as retail)

Why did you guys propose towers in a park on the north side of Dupont?

Its not a park, its a giant green roof.

I'm always for straightening out streets.

But there's not much you can do with the railway right there. Personally I'd put the retail (with parking) on that side.

It is retail, and office space. The only residential is within the towers that begin a few stories above the ground. The giant office/retail podiums act as a sound barrier for the rest of the site and a platform to raise the residential built within that block, keeping it high above the rail line and providing one hell of a view to the north. (Former shoreline of lake Iroquois)

The tracks also run through Summerhill, South Hill, etc. and haven't seemed to deter development.

Scarborough Town Centre

No doubt about it. Today's mall is just begging to re-invent itself.

Scarborough Town Centre has a chance, albeit a slim one which is fading.
The LRT station and all the new condos is a start. However the whole place still pays homage to the the Automobile God.

Why not actually actually 'attach' a few condo towers and a Grocery store or two. Throw in a library and community centre( all attached) while they are at it.
Instead of half assed stabs at creating some type of hub community, just do it! And here is some really crazy heresy. Rip up some of that massive parking lot and create a Park (sorry about that, Joni Mitchell) with trees, water and walkways....
I have to stop here, I'm starting to get those shakes I get when I get myself all whipped up..

^ Scarborough Town Centre doesn't meet any of the definitions of a decaying mall other than a slow downscaling trend...it sees huge crowds every day and I'm not aware of any leasing/vacancy problems. It'll be around for decades unless race wars erupt in Scarborough, triggering flight. It has no need to reinvent itself now, but maybe in a few decades it will...the chance is not fading, particularly since development of the larger area is going so slowly.

The additions you suggest are all good ideas that many people have called for but the city has no intention of carrying out...the original plans for the area did contain far more stuff than what was built. A Price Chopper and Loblaws Superstore were recently built practically across the street but could easily have been incorporated into the mall (which used to have a Miracle Mart). A library is desperately needed - the biggest service gap in the city is central Scarborough. There's no real parkland other than the woodlots along Ellesmere and there's no theatre or community centre or even an elementary school, forcing people to leave the area for absolutely everything when the mall is closed. The only "community" that's being built is gated inside the master-planned condo projects. And there's a hundred other specific things wrong or improvable with STC.

Agreed; STC is too intensively used to qualify as dead/decaying. Though as far as "slow downscaling" goes, I guess it's like it's morphing from a Scarberian Yorkdale into something more like a Scarberian Dufferin Mall--which ain't necessarily bad...

Back