News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Shows how much you know about Toronto city streets...

Maybe try looking at a map before you refute my comment.

The subway travels along Danforth Avenue. There is no subway service whatsoever on Danforth Road, nor does the RT travel anywhere near it.

Scarborough Town Centre is very clearly nowhere near the subway corridor.

Maybe try learning how to read a map before you refute my comment?

I've explained earlier onesome politician promises a subway (even if it's a lie) then it's basically impossible to win on a lrt platform (even if itsthe truth).

People miss the context when they say that the modern transit systems are built on transfers and thus it's not a big deal Scarberians have to transfer at Kennedy.

For most of Torontonians, a transit trip looks like this: take a local bus or streetcar, ride to the closest subway station, ride the subway, transfer to another subway line if necessary, transfer to another local bus or streetcar.

For riders from the central / northern / eastern Scarborough: take a local bus or streetcar, ride to the closest SRT station, ride the SRT, transfer to the subway at Kennedy etc. All same steps, but with an extra transfer for the majority of longer-range trips.

No surprise they want the subway extended.

You could reword the polls a million diferent ways with lrt still gaining support and subway advocates would still be claiming it's a bias report.

Of course. If the LRT was in operation right now, I'm sure people would be thrilled about it.

Attitudes towards it were generally favourable before Ford decided to play identity politics.

I've explained earlier onesome politician promises a subway (even if it's a lie) then it's basically impossible to win on a lrt platform (even if itsthe truth).

That point is somewhat reasonable, but then let's not claim LRT is more popular than subway.

Either LRT is more popular / similarly popular, then someone should have run on that idea. Or, LRT is such a hot potato that the candidates don't even want to mention it. Both of these statements can't be true at the same time.

If it was all about Ford's identity politics, then surely the public opinion would have shifted the other way by now.

I think he's refering to the BD that already exists, which in this case he is correct as the BD between Main and Broadview actually runs under Strathmore (so the line is really the Bloor-Strathmore line but thats just being pedantic about it).

A better indicator is the outcome of the recent provincial elections. How many candidates run and won while promoting the LRT plan instead of subway? Zero; because no candidate with a shot at winning even tried to go with such a plan.

Had the LRT proposal been truly popular, surely someone would run on it and win. Or, at least would come close second.

I don't really think using the Provincial Election is a good metric to use. Did anyone actually run on a platform that made transit a high priority? I mean the only requirement this time around was to just not be a Liberal and you had a huge chance of winning; no platform needed. Hell I could have given Mitzie Hunter a run for her money if I decided to run for office under the PC banner and I'm a god damn nobody.

I think he's refering to the BD that already exists, which in this case he is correct as the BD between Main and Broadview actually runs under Strathmore (so the line is really the Bloor-Strathmore line but thats just being pedantic about it).

I don't really think using the Provincial Election is a good metric to use. Did anyone actually run on a platform that made transit a high priority? I mean the only requirement this time around was to just not be a Liberal and you had a huge chance of winning; no platform needed. Hell I could have given Mitzie Hunter a run for her money if I decided to run for office under the PC banner and I'm a god damn nobody.

While it's under Strathmore, the nearest main street it follows is Danforth avenue, so it's not unfair to say that it is a danforth subway. The point I was trying to make is that the SSE follows the general corridor of the existing subway, which is Danforth Avenue. Some argued that having the subway turn north made it not worthy of being part of Bloor Danforth line because it doesn't follow the Danforth corridor.

The provincial election is never a good metric to use -- too many issues people have to worry about, but we'll see how the municipal election turns out. Part of me wants to have a referendum on this issue (but only for Scarborough, DRL and other projects will have referenda with respect to the given areas of construction), but have all issues on the ballot: Current Subway, redesigned subway, LRT, SRT replacement, do nothing (bus replacement)

I don't really think using the Provincial Election is a good metric to use.

I agree that it's far from accurate as metrics, but at least it gives some indications of what the voters prefer.

Did anyone actually run on a platform that made transit a high priority? I mean the only requirement this time around was to just not be a Liberal and you had a huge chance of winning; no platform needed. Hell I could have given Mitzie Hunter a run for her money if I decided to run for office under the PC banner and I'm a god damn nobody.

I didn't look at the detailed outcome in Hunter's riding, but I know she won. Surely PCs tabled a candidate in that riding, and that candidate didn't win. Therefore, with all due respect, what makes you think you would do better as a PC candidate?

56% in Scarborough oppose $3.5 billion subway extension and the $1 billion tax increase
TORONTO, Feb. 3, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - A majority of Toronto voters, including a solid majority in Scarborough, want to build a seven-stop Light Rail Transit (LRT) line in Scarborough rather than a three-stop subway extension that means a $1 billiontax increase over 30 years. These are the key findings of an independent survey conducted by Leger Jan. 31-Feb. 1, 2014.

As part of its regular sampling of opinion on key public policy issues, Leger asked Torontonians aged 18 and older who are eligible to vote to evaluate the LRT and subway options for Scarborough, including their cost, property tax impact, accessibility to transit users and projected dates of completion. Here are the survey's key findings:

• Among voters expressing a position, 61% say they support the LRT line to provide improved public transit service to Scarborough, while 39% support a subway extension.
  • Voters in Scarborough prefer an LRT over a subway for their own part of the city by 56% to 44%.
  • The strongest support for the LRT option is found in the former City of Toronto at 75%, York (68%) and East York (67%).
  • The strongest support for building a subway extension in Scarborough comes from voters in North York, who are split 50%-50% on which transit option is best for Scarborough.

The findings indicate a change in voters' views from January 2011, when a Leger survey of Torontonians found 52% chose building subways over building light rail. That question was not specifically about which option is best for Scarborough, and did not mention that building a subway extension in Scarborough would mean a $1 billion tax increase for all Torontotaxpayers.

Leger surveyed 523 Toronto adults over the age of 18 and eligible to vote on January 31 and February 1, 2014, using its online panel, LegerWeb. The data have been weighted according to Statistics Canada population data for age and gender.

SOURCE: Leger, The Research Intelligence Group
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...er-subway-for-scarborough-poll-513657021.html

If someone disagrees with this, produce reference to your claims.

Reactions: syn
Part of me wants to have a referendum on this issue (but only for Scarborough, DRL and other projects will have referenda with respect to the given areas of construction), but have all issues on the ballot: Current Subway, redesigned subway, LRT, SRT replacement, do nothing (bus replacement)

Sounds like a good idea, except that I wouldn't put bus replacement as an option. If it won, we would end up with swarms of buses trying to do the job they aren't designed to do.

It's Danforth Avenue, not Road. That you failed to check is telling. Danforth Road is not Danforth Avenue, albeit they meet. "Shows how much you know about Toronto city streets". I'm sorry?

I agree that it's far from accurate as metrics, but at least it gives some indications of what the voters prefer.

I didn't look at the detailed outcome in Hunter's riding, but I know she won. Surely PCs tabled a candidate in that riding, and that candidate didn't win. Therefore, with all due respect, what makes you think you would do better as a PC candidate?
Im not saying I could win but she only won by 71 votes, so the PC candidate that did run gave her a run for her money. Keep in mind that 25,878 ballots were cast in the ward so its fair to say she nearly lost to guy I never heard of or even saw.

It's Danforth Avenue, not Road. That you failed to check is telling. Danforth Road is not Danforth Avenue, albeit they meet. "Shows how much you know about Toronto city streets". I'm sorry?

That has nothing to do with it. Danforth Avenue and Danforth Road are along the same corridor, one is just named differently because it changes direction due to coping with the geology of Toronto. The subway somewhat mirrors it along an old freight corridor because that what was available at the time when expanding the subway. What makes the difference if it's on Danforth Avenue or Danforth Road when it's following a distinguished corridor in the city?

No surprise everyone wants asubway. Guess we will pay for it with our magical moneytree.
I hear millions of people use the freeways on a daily basis, maybe we should toll those, thereby potentially encouraging people to use transit while improving transit with that money...oh. Against everyone's agenda. Damn it.

Back