News   Jul 19, 2024
 849     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.7K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

If the NDP pulled the plug on the Liberals in October or November of last year, I believe the polls had all 3 parties neck and neck. The NDP could have quite conceivably won the most seats in a Minority government and had the 3rd place Liberals supporting them. If the NDP pulled the plug on the Liberals in February or March, the Conservatives probably would have won the most seats, but the NDP may have been able to form a 2-3 coalition (Pederson style) to form government. Now it seems that the NDP is slipping into 3rd place and is moving towards irrelevance in a two party race as the anti waste and corruption portion of the NDP moves to the conservatives (probably a smaller group) and the bulk of the left of centre support moves towards Wynne, who is proving to be better than Dalton (not hard to do). In a few more months the NDP will be so far down that Wynne will no longer have to adjust any policies to the NDP, since the NDP will be terrified to force a vote.

I would say that the only time better than now for the NDP to force and election is yesterday. The only time worse than now is tommorow.

I've been thinking about this for the past hour. You and I are in total agreement. As the Ornge and gas plant scandals fade away, the leadership of the Ontario Liberals become more solidified by the day. An election will not be called before 2016 as long as nothing horrible happes. In the unlikely scenario that one is called, the Conservatives would have a very small chance of winning. A Conservative majority is completely unlikely.

Looking to the 2016 election, chances are that the Liberals would hold onto power (assuming nothing horrible happens). Whether they lose seats or become majority is anyones guess.

The province is solidly Liberal red for the foreseeable future.

I've been thinking about this for the past hour. You and I are in total agreement. As the Ornge and gas plant scandals fade away, the leadership of the Ontario Liberals become more solidified by the day. An election will not be called before 2016 as long as nothing horrible happes. In the unlikely scenario that one is called, the Conservatives would have a very small chance of winning. A Conservative majority is completely unlikely.

Looking to the 2016 election, chances are that the Liberals would hold onto power (assuming nothing horrible happens). Whether they lose seats or become majority is anyones guess.

The province is solidly Liberal red for the foreseeable future.

God help us.

What we really need is some kind of standardized quantitative measurement of what transit is. Ideally, it should be based on how fast the average speed is. For example, Class 1 300 km/h, Class 2 200 km/h, Class 3 150 km/h etc... After all, transit is about moving people, not about whether or not it's RT, uses heavy or light rail or is grade separated.

Except that average speed is a completely useless metric in this scenario. The Airport Rocket has a higher average speed than any of the subways, and rivals some of the GO lines - but will never, ever compare in terms of the ultimate capacity of the line as it is single buses rather than grade separated rail service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's a lie and you know it.

Link: http://thecrosstown.ca/news-media/w...-at-grade-section-don-mills-to-ionview-online

Check out some of the diagrams on the last few pages (26,29,32,43). I count 2 lanes both ways in the crosstown configurations once it's at grade in the east. Currently, there's 3 both ways. Unless my math is wrong, or eyes very bad, I count the removal of two lanes, one each way.

So, who's lying? I'm just going off of the info provided by Metrolinx.

Check out some of the diagrams on the last few pages (26,29,32,43). I count 2 lanes both ways in the crosstown configurations once it's at grade in the east. Currently, there's 3 both ways. Unless my math is wrong, or eyes very bad, I count the removal of two lanes, one each way.
The 3rd lane is buses only from 7 AM to 10 AM and 4 pm to 7 pm.

In my experience the lost of a lane of traffic from 10 AM to 4 PM won't cause any congestion!

Metrolinx threatens to suspend LRT work unless councillors reaffirm support

See this link.

Metrolinx has issued an ultimatum to Toronto city council, saying it will suspend work on the Scarborough Light Rail Transit line unless councillors reaffirm their support for the project by August 2.

Bruce McCuaig, Metrolinx’s president and chief executive officer, sent a letter to Toronto city manager Joe Pennachetti on Friday. The letter says city council’s recent resolution supporting an alternative plan, the extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway, appears to contradict the master agreement signed by the parties last year.

“Our plan at Metrolinx is to continue to implement the master agreement. This avoids the significant procurement, cost and timing impacts on these critically required transit projects,” Mr. McCuaig writes.

“However, given the uncertainty created by council’s May resolution, we ask that city council reaffirm its support for the Scarborough LRT project. This would demonstrate Council’s commitment to the master agreement signed by the City on November 29, 2012. If this reaffirmation is not received by August 2, 2013, Metrolinx will suspend work on the Scarborough LRT project, pending clarification of the city’s position on the master agreement.”

The letter says Metrolinx, the regional transportation agency operated by the province, is engaged in two active procurements and cannot attract high quality bidders if there is uncertainty about council’s support.

The letter also says the Toronto Transit Commission has estimated the cost of extending the Bloor-Danforth subway would be $2.3-billion, which would leave a funding gap of about $500-million. Mr. McCuaig says the actual funding gap would be in excess of $925-million.

In an interview, Mr. McCuaig said Metrolinx is simply looking for clarity.

“What we would really like to see is an affirmation from the city that they continue to support the project,” he said.

He said Metrolinx could, in theory, continue on with the project even without the reaffirmation because there is a signed master agreement. “But, again, we’re concerned that it creates a challenge as we go through the procurement process,” he added.

There is only one more council meeting scheduled to occur before August 2, on July 16 and July 17.

A group of city councillors, including TTC chair Karen Stintz, revived plans for the Scarborough subway in late April as part of talks on new fees and taxes for building transit.

Ms. Stintz, in an interview Friday, said she was given no warning about the Metrolinx ultimatum even though she met with Minister of Transportation Glen Murray and his deputy minister last week.

“This is absolutely, 100 per cent news to me,” she said after reading a copy of the letter.

Ms. Stintz said she is asking for a meeting with Mr. Murray next week, along with Scarborough councillors, to clarify what is needed from council. She said she also plans to take issue with the costs cited by Metrolinx.

“I think this is the right subway for Scarborough,” she said. “I am glad the minister is giving us a final opportunity to consider whether we wish to pursue this.”

The letter comes one day after the resignation of Scarborough Liberal MPP Margarett Best, a move that means the government must face Scarborough voters in a by-election.

Metrolinx threatens to suspend LRT work unless councillors reaffirm support

See this link.

This puts a bit of presure on the 23 or so Councillors who voted to support the LRT plan in November 2012 and then voted for B-D subway extension to STC in May 2013.

I think these Councillors would have been perfectly happy allowing the SRT LRT proceed quietly in the background, then campaign to resurect the B-D subway, then declare that it is too late to make a change to subway after they get re-elected.

No clue why Metrolinx would only talk about this now. Not to mention they didn't seem to care before what Council said saying "we have an agreement and are sticking to it."

No clue why Metrolinx would only talk about this now. Not to mention they didn't seem to care before what Council said saying "we have an agreement and are sticking to it."

They mentioned they are having trouble getting bids for the carhouse because of the uncertainty.

Back