News   Aug 12, 2024
 752     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 617     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Elevate it. Don't know why it has to be tunneled. This can be done for much less then what's currently being proposed.

Toronto experiences something called W-I-N-T-E-R. Exposed infrastructure can experience issues due to the snow and ice that occur in winter. So, tunneling it makes the most sense.

Toronto experiences something called W-I-N-T-E-R. Exposed infrastructure can experience issues due to the snow and ice that occur in winter. So, tunneling it makes the most sense.
Because Chicago (major blizzards), NYC, London, Hong Kong and Paris don't have winter. This mentality is why where behind. Suck it up, you're a canadian.

The Provincial commitment is static.

But there is no commitment on specific timing from any party.

The politically friendly way of handling this is to reconfirm the commitment via the press then, behind the scenes, tell the city you're payments will be available in 2025+ to fund the end of construction rather than the beginning.

The city, also having debt timing issues and similar intentions of back-loading their payments, then defers tendering the project by 3+ years so 2025 is closer to the first payment rather than the last payment. Their explanation for the delay to tender will be "negotiating contract details with the province".

Last edited:
If you went four years without building that subway would balloon to 8-9 billion. At some point people will put the drl first

What kind of argument is this? An argument for futility... like why even bother building any subway/grade separated mass transit at all?

If SSE can't be built because of prohibitive high costs; then how in the heck could we ever hope to afford the DRL which has to cross the Don River 4 times, 16 lanes of the 401, several rail corridors, navigate through tall building foundations, the PATH system and some of the oldest utilities infrastructure in the City?

Surely DRL Long will cost upwards of $15-$20 billion if the SSE is costing in the ballpark price range you speak of. The answer is to stop pitting neighbourhood or community or borough against one another and to recognize that mass transit is needed ALL over the City, not just in one part.

A subway to Scarborough Centre will still be far more practical for most traveling through Scarborough than taking the York Mills bus across to Don Mills and boarding the subway from there. DRL has its purpose, but so does the Scarborough subway.

A few billion dollars can hire an awful lot of snow removal services.

Also, I think we have closures due to flooding as often as we have closures due to winter.

What kind of argument is this? An argument for futility... like why even bother building any subway/grade separated mass transit at all?

If SSE can't be built because of prohibitive high costs; then how in the heck could we ever hope to afford the DRL which has to cross the Don River 4 times, 16 lanes of the 401, several rail corridors, navigate through tall building foundations, the PATH system and some of the oldest utilities infrastructure in the City?

Surely DRL Long will cost upwards of $15-$20 billion if the SSE is costing in the ballpark price range you speak of. The answer is to stop pitting neighbourhood or community or borough against one another and to recognize that mass transit is needed ALL over the City, not just in one part.

A subway to Scarborough Centre will still be far more practical for most traveling through Scarborough than taking the York Mills bus across to Don Mills and boarding the subway from there. DRL has its purpose, but so does the Scarborough subway.

These are wishes not arguments:

Filtering out some of the more extreme polarzing views I read here today this is what is likely happening:

-Brown will likely cancel the SSE or delay and at some point and we'll just build the DRL
-The SSE will go over $5 Billion and the City wants to cancel it

Last edited:
mSSRi-71_bigger.jpg
Jennifer PagliaroVerified account ‏@jpags 10h10 hours ago

Jennifer Pagliaro Retweeted Matt Elliott

Good, quick way to visualize the growth centered downtown, at Yonge-Eg and North York Centre

and then this

mSSRi-71_bigger.jpg
Jennifer PagliaroVerified account ‏@jpags 3h3 hours ago

The $3.2B+ one-stop subway extension in Scarborough is planned for an area that has seen declining population growth

So on one hand they want to talk about the growth and subway centers and then go an be-little the area declining without subway connection The Star and Metroland will keep your anti-Scarboorugh hopes alive, and at the same time indirectly keep Doug Fords as they continue to piss off more residents with their selfish iron fist views.

Last edited:
Yonge-Eglinton grew by only 500 to 999 persons over 5 years? Am I the only one who doesn't find that particularly good, or do I have impossibly high standards?

I'm more impressed by the areas that do show significant growth. Downtown Toronto, South Etobicoke, North York Centre and quite a few areas along the 401 corridor

Toronto experiences something called W-I-N-T-E-R when mother nature feels like trying. Which hasn't been much, lately.

Toronto is not the only city that gets snow. In fact, plenty of cities get far, far more than we do, especially in recent years.

Saying no to elevated because of snow is an extremely weak argument.

I haven't heard of many issues on the Bloor-Eglinton and Eglinton West-Downsview portions of Line 1 due to weather.

mSSRi-71_bigger.jpg
Jennifer PagliaroVerified account ‏@jpags 10h10 hours ago

Jennifer Pagliaro Retweeted Matt Elliott

Good, quick way to visualize the growth centered downtown, at Yonge-Eg and North York Centre

and then this

mSSRi-71_bigger.jpg
Jennifer PagliaroVerified account ‏@jpags 3h3 hours ago

The $3.2B+ one-stop subway extension in Scarborough is planned for an area that has seen declining population growth

So on one hand they want to talk about the growth and subway centers and then go an be-little the area declining without subway connection The Star and Metroland will keep your anti-Scarboorugh hopes alive, and at the same time indirectly keep Doug Fords as they continue to piss off more residents with their selfish iron fist views.
Makes perfect sense. The subway is not going to reverse Scarborough's fortunes.

What's more likely to happen is that with the escalated costs and the city raising taxes for that project, it becomes so politically toxic for the mayor's office that he directs the TTC to bring the costs downs (by any mean necessary). Elevation might be back or cut and cover.

Let's not forget that what used to happen was the TTC designing the project and the province just paying for the whole thing...you can understand that finding efficiencies were less pressing than now, especially when you're putting financial pressure on yourself...you want to explore every alternatives to build that subway at lower costs

What's more likely to happen is that with the escalated costs and the city raising taxes for that project, it becomes so politically toxic for the mayor's office that he directs the TTC to bring the costs downs (by any mean necessary). Elevation might be back or cut and cover.

Let's not forget that what used to happen was the TTC designing the project and the province just paying for the whole thing...you can understand that finding efficiencies were less pressing than now, especially when you're putting financial pressure on yourself...you want to explore every alternatives to build that subway at lower costs

Elevation is not possible in the Danforth-McCowan corridor. Cut and cover could cost as little as $175-$200 million per kilometre though and ought to be seriously considered.

Back