News   Aug 12, 2024
 719     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 608     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Montreal's is a completely covered system.

That's actually a defence of denfromoakvillemilton's statement. Montreal has had a dozen expansion plans but a much slower rollout than Toronto over the last 30 years.

Their only expansion with legs at the moment (REM) completely abandons the covered requirement.
That's actually because, by design, the Montreal Metro isn't weatherproof - if it rained or snowed, the electrical system would malfunction. Toronto isn't like that.
Exactly, again. If you want subways, you get them. Being picky is a bad thing.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to move SCC to Kennedy station? Pretty sure 3.5 billion is enough to build a nice shopping mall, library and even an obsolete city hall.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to move SCC to Kennedy station? Pretty sure 3.5 billion is enough to build a nice shopping mall, library and even an obsolete city hall.

Im sure you mean well, and just dont understand thoughts like this are not only quite unrealistic but also very polarizing. These types of comments or ideas are very common in this UT forum. Its actually far better for all of us to have the SSE move forward. The the faster we start to bridge some gaps, the faster the divisive Politics in this City start to simmer and whether you agree or not it could get worse.

Certainly if Tory wants a second term the SSE is moving forward from here. Losing the majority of Smartrack bothers very few and was a smart tactical election move from the start that arguably helped him nudge past DoFo. Losing the SSE file is not the same, since GO RER was already a plan and most voters in the City care far more about the DRL and SSE then ST. The confusion of losing the SSE file alone would be an instant implosion for Tory as both sides of the divide are salivating for a ball drop here. Odds are very slim that will happen and better to be dreaming about creative ways to see construction or route savings.

Even if you are convinced that you are being fair your opinions, the Politics these type of opinions create likely add greater fuel to the opposing fire and end up providing the exact opposite spectrum of Politics that you'd be hoping for.

If the City cant learn to relax and build together our Politics will certainly get much uglier and we will all suffer.

Last edited:
Im sure you mean well, and just dont understand thoughts like this are not only quite unrealistic but also very polarizing. These types of comments or ideas are very common in this UT forum. Its actually far better for all of us to have the SSE move forward. The the faster we start to bridge some gaps, the faster the divisive Politics in this City start to simmer and whether you agree or not it could get worse.

Certainly if Tory wants a second term the SSE is moving forward from here. Losing the majority of Smartrack bothers very few and was a smart tactical election move from the start that arguably helped him nudge past DoFo. Losing the SSE file is not the same, since GO RER was already a plan and most voters in the City care far more about the DRL and SSE then ST. The confusion of losing the SSE file alone would be an instant implosion for Tory as both sides of the divide are salivating for a ball drop here. Odds are very slim that will happen and better to be dreaming about creative ways to see construction or route savings.

Even if you are convinced that you are being fair your opinions, the Politics these type of opinions create likely add greater fuel to the opposing fire and end up providing the exact opposite spectrum of Politics that you'd be hoping for.

If the City cant learn to relax and build together our Politics will certainly get much uglier and we will all suffer.

I have a feeling that when the Spadina extension is completed, that the SSE and DRL will both be announced. There will be lots of pomp and circumstance. After all, 2018 is the election year, and Torry will likely put on as many shows as he can.

So, yes, you are getting the one stop extension. Now, maybe Tory might try winning even more votes by adding more stops.

Where did you get $175 Million to $200 Million per kilometre?

I was contrasting Toronto to Vancouver's Cambie corridor cut-and-cover construction method used during the Canada Line Skytrain expansion. I'm sure there are geological differences to be sure but their construction method comes in at $115 million per kilometre in 2015 dollars, so I extrapolated from that.

The good thing about Scarborough though is that the Danforth-McCowan alignment follows a residential street as opposed to commercial, so the threat of lawsuits may likely be significantly less.

I don't know about moving SCC, but I'm now curious about how much it would cost to build a replica SCC.

How much do shopping malls cost to build nowadays? :p

Yorkdale will soon open its doors to the 300,000 square foot, $331 million expansion. (yorkdale.com)

Scarborough town centre size (1,300,000 ft²) (wikipedia)

331000000 x 5 = 165500000.

So you could build a better mall (yorkdale type finishes) with an underground garage in a better transit location (lrt/subway/go) and save up to 2 billion dollars.

I'd argue that this makes far more sense and if you wanted to use that remaining 2 billion on Sheppard to serve north scarborough I'd personally be good with that.

I don't know about moving SCC, but I'm now curious about how much it would cost to build a replica SCC.

Yorkdale will soon open its doors to the 300,000 square foot, $331 million expansion. (yorkdale.com)

Scarborough town centre size (1,300,000 ft²) (wikipedia)

331000000 x 5 = 165500000.

So you could build a better mall (yorkdale type finishes) with an underground garage in a better transit location (lrt/subway/go) and save up to 2 billion dollars.

I'd argue that this makes far more sense and if you wanted to use that remaining 2 billion on Sheppard to serve north scarborough I'd personally be good with that.

I was contrasting Toronto to Vancouver's Cambie corridor cut-and-cover construction method used during the Canada Line Skytrain expansion. I'm sure there are geological differences to be sure but their construction method comes in at $115 million per kilometre in 2015 dollars, so I extrapolated from that.

The good thing about Scarborough though is that the Danforth-McCowan alignment follows a residential street as opposed to commercial, so the threat of lawsuits may likely be significantly less.
Council wouldn't dig out a tree lot for the subway but would ram a trench past voters houses (or in the case of the elevated fans, put a huge concrete overbridge looming over them). Comparing Canada Line, a fully disconnected new build with the extension of existing, legacy infrastructure. The wishful thinking on this thread...

Why in the world did they design their metro system like that???

The real reason Montreal's Metro is covered is because it is a rubber tire metro. Yes, it has tracks and rail wheels, but the rubber tires are what give it the traction. So, to prevent loss of traction, the cover the lines.

Rapid transit aside, STC actually does very good business because it's located at the 401 and closer to East and North Scarborough. The location is more than ideal compared to Kennedy and Eglinton. Although K&E should will become quite the vibrant commuter area in a few decades after the SSE is in place and building restrictions can then be lifted.

Rapid transit aside, STC actually does very good business because it's located at the 401 and closer to East and North Scarborough. The location is more than ideal compared to Kennedy and Eglinton. Although K&E should will become quite the vibrant commuter area in a few decades after the SSE is in place and building restrictions can then be lifted.
Given that STC has seen virtually no development in the last decade, despite the restriction - at this point, the restrictions are only holding Scarborough back, by not developing the obvious node at Kennedy/Eglinton.

Back