News   Aug 13, 2024
 207     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 841     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

My 2 cents.

Build the 1 stop extension to STC. Quit talking and just do. Pick the alignment that allows for future infil stations.

Extend the EC down to the end of Eglinton.

Cancel Malvern and extend the Sheppard line to STC.

Leave the current SRT running as long as it is still able to.

Without the DRL, these things would do the most for Scarborough

No respect for eastern scarborough?

What's wrong with building both or more. We have to stop building things one line at a time. Gets us nowhere
I pay 3500 in property tax. I'd pay up to 7000 for drl long, a full finch, a Sheppard solution and a STC solution. Give me some tolls too. But I am not the typical torontonian

Instead of building both or more, why don't we just concentrate the funds into the full DRL instead of a short Bloor-Yonge relief valve of a line?

Because that Federal program which pays half of shovel ready public transit projects won't be around forever. It goes "bye bye" post 2025, hence pushing all our projects to shovel ready status and submit them for funding. The city can do its part to raise its share of the capital costs with revenue tools and/or emitting bonds. We have a short window to get all those projects built. I suggest you see the bigger picture instead of endlessly trying to prove a point

Because that Federal program which pays half of shovel ready public transit projects won't be around forever. It goes "bye bye" post 2025, hence pushing all our projects to shovel ready status and submit them for funding. The city can do its part to raise its share of the capital costs with revenue tools and/or emitting bonds. We have a short window to get all those projects built. I suggest you see the bigger picture instead of endlessly trying to prove a point

Are there any other strings attached to the 50% funding? Is there any limit on how much Toronto can receive?

Are there any other strings attached to the 50% funding? Is there any limit on how much Toronto can receive?

The entire fund is around $180B-$190B. Has to be Green Infrastructure, social housing or/and Public Transit. String attached? Shovel ready for public transit, or no money.

Hence me saying that ALL rapid transit projects must be made shovel ready ASAP.

more like promise everything is going to get built. Once elected delay delay delay
We'll see. I bet the EELRT has more support then you realize.
You are confusing Operation budgets with Capital. There is an appetite to build Public everywhere in the City. There is no unity for the Operations until more public transit is built in this City. That is why you are seeing this type of Politics of high Capital, Low Operational. Ya its odd, but people without quality public transit don't care, nor should they

I have always warned those that oppose the SSE to actually promote it and the Eglinton LRT line. The more unity this City has and more use for public transit the greater the pressure will be one day on a future Mayor. Until then its "first world" problem only in the City

Where are the stats to prove that there is a bigger appetite.
You are confusing Operation budgets with Capital. There is an appetite to build Public everywhere in the City. There is no unity for the Operations until more public transit is built in this City. That is why you are seeing this type of Politics of high Capital, Low Operational. Ya its odd, but people without quality public transit don't care, nor should they

I have always warned those that oppose the SSE to actually promote it and the Eglinton LRT line. The more unity this City has and more use for public transit the greater the pressure will be one day on a future Mayor. Until then its "first world" problem only in the City
Look, both sheppard and bloor get built now or these Scarborough councillors will try to jam up the DRL. I don't want to see that.

Those damn illegal Torontonians. And to think if we do this and find a way to derail the GO train in 20 years time we will have successfully closed off any reasonable access into the City core during working hours for these suburban's parasites. And just like Mexicans, the Scarberians as some call them will even be helping pay for this wall.

I really hope you are not serious. But sadly you just might be

Is that you, Glenn?

Is that you, Glenn?

Haha. Good ol' Glenn jokes. That classic UT humour.

Would you say "is that you, Josh?" to WislaHD. As I don't think Matlow in all his SSE disdain would ever say something as disrespectful and selfish as what was said in the post I responded too.

Last edited:
The entire fund is around $180B-$190B. Has to be Green Infrastructure, social housing or/and Public Transit. String attached? Shovel ready for public transit, or no money.

Hence me saying that ALL rapid transit projects must be made shovel ready ASAP.

Because of the Feds stipulation to be shovel ready I dont think any Politician in this City should want to be part of causing chaos to prevent us from taking full advantage of this window of opportunity

Last edited:
I'm really surprised no one agreed that they would gladly double their property taxes for all this transit

I'm really surprised no one agreed that they would gladly double their property taxes for all this transit

But no one has ever been asked to? Maybe in the deep future if it ever happens and your comment has any validity we can find a place for it, maybe more appropriate in the thread about revenue sources.

Last edited:
My 2 cents.

Build the 1 stop extension to STC. Quit talking and just do. Pick the alignment that allows for future infil stations.

Extend the EC down to the end of Eglinton.

Cancel Malvern and extend the Sheppard line to STC.

Leave the current SRT running as long as it is still able to.

Without the DRL, these things would do the most for Scarborough.

No respect for eastern scarborough?

My mistake. Malvern is not the one I meant. That one actually makes some sense. Just call it EC.
Sheppard East is the one I meant. It should be canceled. Sheppard Line should be extended to STC and eventually into Durham.

But no one has ever been asked to? Maybe in the deep future if it ever happens and your comment has any validity we can find a place for it, maybe more appropriate in the thread about revenue sources.
That's the point. Everyone wants something for nothing. Let's be honest people Wouldn't vote for chow because they thought taxes would be raised but they had no problem voting for Tory who was selling surface subway at a fraction of the price, even if there wasn't enough space for added tracks and almost no details on stop spacing and frequencies.

My mistake. Malvern is not the one I meant. That one actually makes some sense. Just call it EC.
Sheppard East is the one I meant. It should be canceled. Sheppard Line should be extended to STC and eventually into Durham.

At this time EC dead ends at UTSC and doesn't go into Malvern (yet) like the SMLRT kinda did. In any event I agree with your plan to move forward. It's a very likely 15-20 year outcome as well.

Back