News   Jul 19, 2024
 938     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Exactly. I really don't understand why people are tying this discussion to the DRL.

If anything, it would help the case for the DRL, because there wouldn't be the whole "why is downtown getting another subway when Scarborough doesn't have one?" discussion. I think it would dissipate a lot of the suburban resistance to the DRL.

gweed:

I would go further - it will probably make DRL inevitable given an extended BD to STC will probably make Yonge/Bloor even more heavily used.

AoD

If anything, it would help the case for the DRL, because there wouldn't be the whole "why is downtown getting another subway when Scarborough doesn't have one?" discussion. I think it would dissipate a lot of the suburban resistance to the DRL.

There is no suburban resistance to the DRL. That exists only in the mind of some downtowners. An imagined grievance.

Keep in mind that the people who suffers the most from the crush at Yonge/Bloor are suburban commuters from the East. They understand (more than anybody) why the DRL is needed. But many would also like easier access to the subway network at the start of their trip.

Last edited:
Why? Are we trying to build subway-lite on Eglinton or to provide local service? Once they start elevating, station spacing will increase dramatically.

Well west of Don Mills it's more of a "subway-lite", as you call it. I see nothing wrong with making the eastern end the same thing.

Because it makes no sense to make half the Sheppard line a subway and the other half an above ground LRT.

Convert the Sheppard subway into an underground LRT and make Sheppard a seamless LRT line just like the one they're constructing for Eglinton.

This would be the optimal solution. But how many $ Billions would the retrofits cost. The money would better be spent elsewhere for the time being.

gweed:

I would go further - it will probably make DRL inevitable given an extended BD to STC will probably make Yonge/Bloor even more heavily used.

AoD

Marginally more used. The subway extension is supposed to generate 5 million more riders annually than the LRT. 13700 riders per day. But not all of those will be travelling at peak or going to Yonge/Bloor. I do agree though, that it will certainly add a tiny bit to the load.

This would be the optimal solution. But how many $ Billions would the retrofits cost. The money would better be spent elsewhere for the time being.

Apparently $500 million to convert. But that also means that its cheaper to go West. Currently, the plan is to take the subway west to Downsview. The LRT could be taken to the surface at Downsview, to continue westward to Weston. Conversion will make an end-to-end LRT solution possible.

Based on the talks that I had with Metrolinx planners, they definitely see the merit in it, but don't want to step too much into the political debate of it. If Stintz were to bring that up at Council though and have it pass, I'm pretty sure Metrolinx would accept the decision in a heartbeat, even if it delays that portion of the line by a couple of years. Get it right the first time.

It's time like these where I think the GTA needs a set of transit planning dictators. That would be a board of experts who dictate to us what transit we get, since obviously the political method dosen't seem to work too well. :rolleyes: That was sarcasm.

Anyways, I hope the TTC Chairwoman will bring up the issue sometime soon. So many problems can be solved by elevating Eglinton. Fingers crossed.

That's cause only half the west-end is being built. The rest of Eglinton West won't be subway-lite.

It won't be subway-lite only if we decide to run it in a dedicated ROW. It's more likely that the LRT will run either elevated or along that patch of green immediately north of Eglinton (forget what its name is).

Apparently $500 million to convert. But that also means that its cheaper to go West. Currently, the plan is to take the subway west to Downsview. The LRT could be taken to the surface at Downsview, to continue westward to Weston. Conversion will make an end-to-end LRT solution possible.

Much cheaper than I expected. Conversion to LRT should be examined when we will be extending Sheppard towards Downsview. Right now such a proposal is politically inconvenient. But I fully support the idea.

Marginally more used. The subway extension is supposed to generate 5 million more riders annually than the LRT. 13700 riders per day. But not all of those will be travelling at peak or going to Yonge/Bloor. I do agree though, that it will certainly add a tiny bit to the load.

Yeah, though I wouldn't hesitate to think that a significant portion of those riders will be traveling at peak and going to Yonge/Bloor - that's just the nature of existing travel patterns, which will be further reinforced by this extension.

AoD

Metrolinx already said no to that scenario

Wonderful.

The relationship between Metrolinx and Toronto reminds me of the relationship between a father and his son in the supermarket.

The son (Toronto) is always asking for more treats and changing his mind constantly about what he wants and the father (Metrolinx) is there to crush the dreams of the child and only give it what it needs. I love it this way. It's nice to have some sort of father figure to keep Toronto's indecisive politicians in check.

Why? Are we trying to build subway-lite on Eglinton or to provide local service? Once they start elevating, station spacing will increase dramatically.

Nobody knows what we are trying to build. It is called Rapid Transit, but stations are 400m apart.

If it were elevated, stations would be about 800m apart, closer than the portion from Yonge to Don Mills.

Back