News   Jul 22, 2024
 91     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 948     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Well get Metolinx to elevate Eglinton East and then the ECLRT can be connected to the SRT. The reason why elevation was never seriously brought up during the subway versus LRT debate is beyond me.

It was, but Ford shut down the idea because he didn't see the difference between at grade and elevated. He was obsess with underground

It was, but Ford shut down the idea because he didn't see the difference between at grade and elevated. He was obsess with underground

Sigh... I still have a sliver of hope that Metrolinx will decide to ignore Council and elevate Eglinton East. I know it wont happen, but a man can dream...

Building 2 types of transit on the same line, within the city boundaries is 'DUMB" and poor planning.

Countless studies have shown that the general public will be less likely to take transit if they have to transfer.

Bloor and Danforth subway should be extended to Scarborough and the Sheppard line should be all subway or convert the Sheppard subway into underground LRT and make the whole line an LRT line.

I'm traveling in one direction and now I need to transfer to keep going in the same direction. HERP DERP!!!!

Last edited:
Sigh... I still have a sliver of hope that Metrolinx will decide to ignore Council and elevate Eglinton East. I know it wont happen, but a man can dream...

Based on the talks that I had with Metrolinx planners, they definitely see the merit in it, but don't want to step too much into the political debate of it. If Stintz were to bring that up at Council though and have it pass, I'm pretty sure Metrolinx would accept the decision in a heartbeat, even if it delays that portion of the line by a couple of years. Get it right the first time.

Building 2 types of transit on the same line, within the city boundaries is 'DUMB" and poor planning.

Countless studies have shown that the general public will be less likely to take transit if they have to transfer.

Bloor and Danforth subway should be extended to Scarborough and the Sheppard line should be all subway or convert the Sheppard subway into underground LRT and make the whole line an LRT line.

I'm traveling in one direction and now I need to transfer to keep going in the same direction. HERP DERP!!!!

why underground lrt?

why underground lrt?

Because it makes no sense to make half the Sheppard line a subway and the other half an above ground LRT.

Convert the Sheppard subway into an underground LRT and make Sheppard a seamless LRT line just like the one they're constructing for Eglinton.

They would "call that even"? I wasn't aware that Scarborough was out for retribution. I thought our goal was to deliver the best transit possible across Toronto.

As far as I'm concerned, the Finch West and Sheppard East LRTs should be built. Not building them would be a very significant loss for Toronto. Much more than what would be gained from moving the SRT from LRT to subway.

Do you actually take transit in Scarborough?

I would most certainly prefer a BRT on Sheppard and a subway on the SRT corridor. The BRT means that bus routes to Don Mills can be designed without requiring transfers. As planned, if you are anywhere off Sheppard, using the LRT automatically means a transfer.

Ditto for the SRT replacement subway. Station at McCowan and Sheppard would be a huge boon to half of northern Scarborough. Most of northern Scarborough would be within a 20 minute bus ride of this station. Most of Malvern and Agincourt would be within 10 minutes of the station. And they'd have no transfer at Kennedy. A huge boost in customer service as far as I'm concerned.

I agree we (Scarberians) should just suck it up while the LRT gets built. If that means people have to take a bus to the STC for four years then so be it. Its not like the rest of Scarborough already doesn't have to take typically more than one bus to the STC already (I for instance have to take either a bus and then the SRT or two buses). Bus transferring is just a part of life out here. :)

This isn't about getting to STC. This is about getting to (or rather through) Kennedy. From the edge of Malvern, there are bus routes that sometimes take 30 minutes or more to get to STC. Once the SRT is closed, there will be a lot of people in Scarborough facing hour long bus rides just to get to Kennedy.

You can bet that those voters won't react very kindly to facing that for half a decade and being hit with taxes at the same time, that could easily add up to a thousand dollars or more per household.

You can ignore public sentiment if you want. But you can bet Hudak and Ford will be ready to use the resulting palpable anger to their electoral advantage. Seems to me that some people didn't learn their lesson from Ford getting elected at the last election and want to help Hudak win provincially.

Because it makes no sense to make half the Sheppard line a subway and the other half an above ground LRT.

Convert the Sheppard subway into an underground LRT and make Sheppard a seamless LRT line just like the one they're constructing for Eglinton.

Exactly this. Sheppard as planned is just moronic. To travel down Sheppard, you'd have to take an LRT, a subway and a bus. Dysfunctional and disjointed. Either go LRT end-to-end (West to the Zoo) or extend the subway westward and build curbside bus lanes at either end.

Sheppard is a separate issue - as problematic as the existing proposal is, given the fixed increase of 500M funding the priority should be placed on extending BD. Assuming that there is support from Scarborough, I see no reason why the project can't proceed concurrently with DRL.

AoD

Last edited:

Back