News   Jul 16, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 743     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The thing is a Kennedy to Scarbrough Centre shuttle. Nobody needs a list of stops outside the vehicle.

And why would the TTC want a list of stations outside the vehicle anyways? Do they really you expect people to stop and look at the map in the 30 seconds it's in the station, before rushing into the vehicle? It's completely useless. The designer probably just needed something to fill the white space.

That is the worst part about it. As if to imply people will forget where they're going. How stupid and condescending. So not futuristic. This new colour scheme looks like a clown's dildo.
I quite liked it myself. The all blue car looks great in Montreal. I don't see why it suddenly looks terrible in Toronto. Perhaps it's this Toronto thing to complain about how terrible things in Toronto are ...

I thought the station names looked cool as well. I didn't think for a second that putting the names on the car was to remind people where they were going. Just because it looked so cool.

If you see a metro train with METRO written on it in big letters, do you think, that's condescending, I know it's a metro train?

Personally, I'm not that familiar with a clown's dildo. But it certainly sounds pretty cool!

I quite liked it myself. The all blue car looks great in Montreal.

That's because Montreal's trains and the design scheme actually look great. The proposed rt design does not.

I thought the station names looked cool as well. I didn't think for a second that putting the names on the car was to remind people where they were going. Just because it looked so cool.

Except it doesn't. It looks awful. It doesn't match the design of the stations at all. The whole system was designed with a certain design language/architecture/feel and they've now ruined it. The people who took the care to design the stations and trains must be livid.

If you see a metro train with METRO written on it in big letters, do you think, that's condescending, I know it's a metro train?

Depends on how it's done. If it's done well by someone who, say, understands graphic design, and not sketched up by some high-school intern who got the pet project of "come up with something fun for the rt in Microsoft Paint!", then yeah, sure, it could look great. I love DC's trains, for example (well, except for the 7000 series, which look like complete shit).

I can't believe this is happening. Let's just put the station names in Comic Sans, for fucks sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t really know what this is supposed to be, but I was playing around with different colour combinations, stripes, designs, etc. Decided to see how these nifty mini-subways would look with graffito, a Pan Am logo, and the new streetcar livery. Although I don’t mind the blue, the original design still seems like a winner.

scarb-rt_new_colours-10.png

And here’s a pamphlet from TransitToronto about the SRT's original release. Perhaps the TTC can put out a new ad campaign for the refurb. Something like: “Yesterday’s transit. Tomorrow!â€

subway-5107-01.jpg

Attachments

• scarb-rt_new_colours-10.png
    scarb-rt_new_colours-10.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 1,096
  • subway-5107-01.jpg
    subway-5107-01.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 994
Dear God, does this new design look awful. The terms "high school student" and "Microsoft Paint", which already have come up above, were the first things to come to mind.

While the Photoshop of the RT cars in the new streetcar livery are interesting and not overall very bad, I actually have to say that I have no problems with the aesthetic (exterior at least) of the Scarborough RT trains. The stripes may be a little dated, but they're certainly snappier than a solid colour, and especially one that has no relation to the TTC's corporate branding of red, white, and black.

With a little TLC that the TTC never ended up giving them, we could've had a halfway-decent and easily-extendable system of RT technology out in the east end, but alas. I suppose I have a soft spot for the technology because it makes me think of the grand plans that were dreamed up in the 1980s for a fantastic transit system of RT lines criss-crossing Metro Toronto, following the city AS it grew instead of playing catch-up, and longer and faster trains of a similar frequency and type zipping along hydro corridors ringing the city in the form of GO-ALRT.

gotransit-2107-12.gif

go-alrt-s1465-f597-i38.jpg

Some photos I took about 2 years ago:

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 1,163
  • IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 818
I don’t really know what this is supposed to be, but I was playing around with different colour combinations, stripes, designs, etc. Decided to see how these nifty mini-subways would look with graffito, a Pan Am logo, and the new streetcar livery. Although I don’t mind the blue, the original design still seems like a winner.

View attachment 42007

And here’s a pamphlet from TransitToronto about the SRT's original release. Perhaps the TTC can put out a new ad campaign for the refurb. Something like: “Yesterday’s transit. Tomorrow!”

View attachment 42008

Wow. That livery from our new streetcars looks great. Nice job!

I'm not too fussed either way as they won't even run for a decade with the new livery. I do like the station names right on the train though. It reminds me of a Tfl London bus route actually.

TfL needs to help people make sure that they're getting on the right bus. It's tough getting on the wrong SRT train.

Are Mark II cars compatible with Mark I track, etc.? Is there a transit authority somewhere disposing of cars the RT could use?
I have often wondered how attached Detroit are to their 12, given their financial straits, if it would allow some more rotation of RT trainsets during the extension period. As they are currently driverless they would likely need some mods, and I'm not sure whether McCowan can take 40 cars anyway. Given that the M1 line will link to the DPM I presume there would be resistance to shutting it and flogging the vehicles in the short term.

Last edited:
... I'm not sure whether McCowan can take 40 cars anyway.
Looking at the airphotos, I'd think it can handle 32 instead of 28.

Though in pinch, I'd think you could easily store 4 in the unused McCowan platform, and another 4 in the unused Kennedy platform. Or simply 8 at McCowan at the end of service.

There's no unused Kennedy platform - remember the layout there was modified when they switched to 4-car config. and killed the turnaround loop. (Or is that what you meant - re-open the turnaround loop, and store them on the curve?)

Back