News   Jul 16, 2024
 657     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 731     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Some footage from yesterday. Trains being manually driven, 60 km/h max.

[video=youtube;wovndI_o_O8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wovndI_o_O8[/video]

It occurred to me after I posted that the DPM would likely be a better candidate for an elevated pedestrian/cycleway than any of the SRT route...

Detroit PeopleMover, the 3rd system to use ICTS, behind Scarborough and Vancouver.

I'm currently doing a research project on Detroit, and if anything they should look at adding a second track to their el. It does a fantastic job hitting destinations in and around the downtown core.

Assuming Detroit cannot use Mark II trains, perhaps we could go in together to buy new trains to reduce costs. When the SRT is replaced by the subway, we can then also give or sell our trains to Detroit as well.

It occurred to me after I posted that the DPM would likely be a better candidate for an elevated pedestrian/cycleway than any of the SRT route...

The problem is that it's quite narrow since it's single track. A pedestrian and a cyclist would just squeeze by in that space, and there wouldn't be space for benches or landscaping.

There's no unused Kennedy platform - remember the layout there was modified when they switched to 4-car config. and killed the turnaround loop. (Or is that what you meant - re-open the turnaround loop, and store them on the curve?)
I'd assume that you could simply and cheaply reconfigure the station and crossovers to make the platform usable, but keep it out of revenue service.

But if it's that difficult why not just park 4 trains overnight in McCowan and Scarborough Centre stations, or on one of tracks between McCowan station and the crossover entering Ellesmere Yard. Looks like you could get 3 trainsets in there, plus a 4th on the extra McCowan platform - and I think we are only looking for space for one.

Point is, there's ways of fitting in more trainsets. Heck, for not much money, you could just build a second track next to the trail track east of the yard. And even extend the trailtrack.

Doesn't really matter, as acquiring used Mark I units seems unlikely to happen at this stage.

The problem is that it's quite narrow since it's single track. A pedestrian and a cyclist would just squeeze by in that space, and there wouldn't be space for benches or landscaping.
Mark I cars are 2.5m wide plus whatever additional clearance required for the third rail. Might not be spacious in the single track sections but seems enough for passage.

Wow. That livery from our new streetcars looks great. Nice job!

Thanks. Yeah, the colour scheme for the new streetcars is ultimate. A perfect shade of red, balanced well with the black and white...I can’t imagine the LFLRVs looking any sharper than they do. I’m wondering if the TC lines will use that colour scheme, or if they’ll adopt Metrolinx’s light pastel green (which seems to be the case with the Crosstown, but I'm not certain).

And after seeing the old images someone posted earlier of the GO-ALRT program, I couldn’t help sketching the green stripe design. I think it looks pretty smart.

scarb-rt_GO-ALRT-livery.png

And @duck. Nice work on the pics and vid. Those are good vantage points.

Attachments

• scarb-rt_GO-ALRT-livery.png
    scarb-rt_GO-ALRT-livery.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,621
Last edited:

So how much is TTC spending for the refurbishment??
[Note that TransLink is behind on the refurbishment, but it's getting into gear now.]

http://globalnews.ca/news/979538/translink-begins-refurbishing-114-skytrain-cars-to-extend-lifespan/

Translink begins refurbishing 114 Skytrain cars to extend lifespan
By Peter Meiszner

refurb-vehicle-23.jpg

TransLink is putting into service the first of 114 refurbished Skytrain cars which would have otherwise been retired from service.

TransLink is extending the life of the Mark I cars which have been in service since Expo 1986. The normal life span of the cars is 25 years, but the refurbishment will add 15 more years to their lifespan.

The cost for the refurbishment is $37.9 million, with $28.5 million coming from the federal gas tax fund.

Work includes upgrading the electrical system, expanding the interior passenger capacity, refurbishing passenger doors, replacing interior amenities, and repainting the vehicles exterior.

The provincial government is applauding Translink’s decision to save money.

“I’m encouraged by TransLink’s decision to refurbish these vehicles and save money,” says Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone. “TransLink serves an area about twice the size of Toronto and provides over one million trips a day. Senior government funding, like the Gas Tax Fund, helps TransLink provide a world-class transportation system for communities and families.”

All of the refurbished Mark I cars will be in service by December 2016.
http://globalnews.ca/news/979538/translink-begins-refurbishing-114-skytrain-cars-to-extend-lifespan/

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah, the colour scheme for the new streetcars is ultimate. A perfect shade of red, balanced well with the black and white...I can’t imagine the LFLRVs looking any sharper than they do. I’m wondering if the TC lines will use that colour scheme, or if they’ll adopt Metrolinx’s light pastel green (which seems to be the case with the Crosstown, but I'm not certain).

And after seeing the old images someone posted earlier of the GO-ALRT program, I couldn’t help sketching the green stripe design. I think it looks pretty smart.

View attachment 42052

And @duck. Nice work on the pics and vid. Those are good vantage points.

There's been a lot of back and forth regarding ECLRT livery. Originally it was supposed to be TTC colours. It switched over to Metrolinx colours when they took over the project. Karen Stintz then had discussions with Metrolinx and apparently they agreed (tentatively) to go with TTC colours (she said this in a tweet). I'm not sure if the situation has since changed.

TTC will be operating the line, so I'd expect it to ultimately end up with TTC branding. This would be a good question for the ECLRT community office.

Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard Line vehicles in TTC livery:

lrt.jpg

Eglinton Line vehicle in Metrolinx livery:
crosstown-vehicle_image_v2.png

Last edited:

Back