News   Jul 17, 2024
 135     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 737     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 617     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

$132M seems pretty steep for a refurb that is only to last a decade or less. And according to Neptis, we could buy a brand new fleet of Mark 1 trains for a similar price:
That's not the just the refurb budget for the fleet. That's also to deal with the track, stations, power ... for the next decade.

Though since when did we take Neptis seriously?

$132M seems pretty steep for a refurb that is only to last a decade or less. And according to Neptis, we could buy a brand new fleet of Mark 1 trains for a similar price:

http://www.neptis.org/publications/transit-city-lrt-schemes/chapters/what-wrong-schemes
I would be interested in knowing who still manufactures Mark 1 trains because this is this first i've heard of this. Did some manufacturer suddenly decide to start making them again under our noses? Maybe it was Boeing or Airbus because i know they must be itching at the chance to build these...

I would be interested in knowing who still manufactures Mark 1 trains because this is this first i've heard of this. Did some manufacturer suddenly decide to start making them again under our noses? Maybe it was Boeing or Airbus because i know they must be itching at the chance to build these...
No ones makes Mark 1 cars and they were built in Millhaven, Ontario by UTDC, now Bombardier.

Only Mark II around as production cars and that may cease in the coming years

The Mark I for TTC were built 1983-85

That's not the just the refurb budget for the fleet. That's also to deal with the track, stations, power ... for the next decade.

Though since when did we take Neptis seriously?

Good point. Although I’ll give them credit for acknowledging Skytrain. The technology does have its merits, and shouldn’t be disregarded entirely.

If you flip through that report I linked to, Neptis claims that it should be relatively simple to tender a contract to Bombardier for them to assemble updated Mark 1 cars. But I’m starting to doubt how truthful that is. And as Nfitz mentions, I think there’s a consensus on this forum that we should take what Neptis says with a grain of salt.

I traced over the diagram provided by the TorontoStar and made the vehicle red. Looks a bit dated, and I think the original striped design looks better.

SRT-Mark1-red.png

Attachments

• SRT-Mark1-red.png
    SRT-Mark1-red.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 868
No ones makes Mark 1 cars and they were built in Millhaven, Ontario by UTDC, now Bombardier.

Thanks drum I already knew about all that, I was trying to be sarcastic but guess it didnt come off too well.

If Bombardier really wanted to, they could re-start production of these cars but obviously the TTC would have to pay a very high cost for that as they would be the only ones who would purchase them. There would be very little point in doing so as the Mark 1 technology is very out of date and they would have been operating 40 year old technology if they went down that road.

That $132 milllion needs to added to the ledger for the subway extension. The TTC was hoping to shut the SRT down next year so they could replace it with the Crosstown. Now they have to keep it running for another decade.

That $132 milllion needs to added to the ledger for the subway extension. The TTC was hoping to shut the SRT down next year so they could replace it with the Crosstown. Now they have to keep it running for another decade.
It is part of the ledger for the subway extension. It's part of the city portion of the subway, and it's payment is coming out of that tax surcharge we are now paying.

If you flip through that report I linked to, Neptis claims that it should be relatively simple to tender a contract to Bombardier for them to assemble updated Mark 1 cars. But I’m starting to doubt how truthful that is. And as Nfitz mentions, I think there’s a consensus on this forum that we should take what Neptis says with a grain of salt.

That part of the Neptis Report, like in so many other sections of it, is out to lunch with their dollar values.

Back when the SRT was first starting to run into its capacity and reliability issues around 2001, the TTC asked Bombardier about the possibility of either restarting the Mark I production line, or producing a shortened version of the Mark II that would fit the existing system. Bombardier quoted them a price of over $5mil per car.

The TTC, understandably so, told them "we'll think about it and get back to you" and quietly forgot about that idea.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The TTC, understandably so, told them "we'll think about it and get back to you" and quietly forgot about that idea.
And yet if they went and simply replaced the 28 existing cars, with 58 new Mark I vehicles for $290 million instead of the 44 longer Mark II vehicles they decided to buy for $170 million, we wouldn't be in this mess. And would have been completed 5 years ago!

Tossing out $120 million away to buy more Mark I cars might have seem foolish (though it would have cut down on the $190 million to rebuild the Ellesmere curve, rehab the line, and extend the stations) - but we are already out $207 million with little to show - with $billions to come for this new subway.

It's this absurd ability to delay sensible project because there might be a better way of doing it that costs us. We're in the same boat now, where we deferred the $467 million cost of Phase 2 of the Eglinton line from JWeston to Renforth and now are going to spend $millions studying heavy rail on that corridor, which we wouldn't be doing, if we'd simply have built the LRT when everyone was behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar still happens on Sheppard East.

Are Mark II cars compatible with Mark I track, etc.? Is there a transit authority somewhere disposing of cars the RT could use?

Oh god no.

http://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

A refurb is a good idea but that's so damn ugly. Does the TTC think that people don't know what line they're on or where it stops?! Are they TTC's colours not red, white, and black?

Dammit TTC.

I'm of the opposite opinion, I'd like it if the line colour and symbol was applied to all trains. (Yes I'm aware they move trains between lines currently). I'm not sure about a complete solid colour wrap as it's a bit much, and I don't like the station names along the top, but it's far better than the incredibly dull stainless steel of every other train. The TTC is usually hopeless at livery. Also this really makes the TTC logo look more shit than usual.

I think I'd prefer the striped design over having the SRT's station names painted on the car, as seen in the render. The blue should be interesting though.

Enough with the goddamn stripes! Lol, but seriously, they're even more dated than swoops.

Back