News   Jul 19, 2024
 682     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.1K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

You mean other than the fact that the subway station will not be built where the current SRT station is?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It might be possible to veer the subway 200 or 300 m west, and get very close to the current SRT station.

Not sure how much extra cost would that require.

A $3 billion three stop subway, and then to to have still sit through the whole Danforth and be greeted by that Bloor/Yonge bottleneck.

To get from A-B in Toronto, you have to go through every other letter of the alphabet first.

A $3 billion three stop subway, and then to to have still sit through the whole Danforth and be greeted by that Bloor/Yonge bottleneck.

To get from A-B in Toronto, you have to go through every other letter of the alphabet first.

A few weeks ago I was discussing the Line 2 extension with a friend of mine who lives near UTSC who was really enthused about the extension. I pointed out that he'd still need to use B-Y and all the stations on 2 Danforth Line, there's a new rapid transit line (ahem... surface subway john tory?) 2 kilometers west that will get him downtown far faster than the Line 2 extension, the new rapid transit line will be fractions of the cost of the Line 2 extension, his bus ride to the Line 2 will be notably longer than his bus ride to SRT (if the replacement plan was implemented), and that the transfer from Line 3 to Line 2 would have been only a few steps, taking no more than a few minutes to complete. His enthusiasm for the project immediately evaporated.

I've noticed a similar lack of enthusiasm about the project from people whenever I mention that STC is as far away from downtown Toronto as Square One in Mississauga.

Its too big of a distance to be covered by subway. Transit should be competitive with other forms of transportation.

A few weeks ago I was discussing the Line 2 extension with a friend of mine who lives near UTSC who was really enthused about the extension. I pointed out that he'd still need to use B-Y and all the stations on 2 Danforth Line, there's a new rapid transit line (ahem... surface subway john tory?) 2 kilometers west that will get him downtown far faster than the Line 2 extension, the new rapid transit line will be fractions of the cost of the Line 2 extension, his bus ride to the Line 2 will be notably longer than his bus ride to SRT (if the replacement plan was implemented), and that the transfer from Line 3 to Line 2 would have been only a few steps, taking no more than a few minutes to complete. His enthusiasm for the project immediately evaporated.

That's a lot of maybes and what-ifs. Maybe your friend was just confused. You could have also told him that if he transfers from the Bloor-Danforth extension to the Eglinton Crosstown at Kennedy, he can get to Yonge and Eglinton without ever having go to Yonge and Bloor. If your friend is anything like me he's happy that subway and LRT service are now scheduled to reach further into East Toronto in this generation. If one day there is also a suburban regional express miles west of this line that goes to Union Station, well that's just gravy.

Back