News   Jul 17, 2024
 408     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 905     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Cherise Burda ‏@CheriseBurda 2m

Wynne says Scarb subway is the plan in place but she wants to work with next mayor to make best decisions. #onpoli #topoli

Whatever that means...

“It is the plan that is in place but as with all of these things we have to work in cooperation with the municipalities,” Wynne told reporters on Friday when asked about whether the subway could be revisited. “There is no point in pretending that there doesn’t have to be a good working relationship with the municipalities.”

Chow, who has led the mayoral race in every poll to date, has said that she would use the provincial funding to build an LRT line and then put the money collected through the property tax hike towards the cost of building a downtown relief subway line.

When asked if the provincial money would be available for an LRT as opposed to a subway, Wynne said she would “not go into those hypotheticals.”

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/wynne-duck...it-scarborough-subway-1.1889120#ixzz35rC9XO6b

The Liberals are committing to something and nothing at the same time.

Station names:
Lawrence
Scarborough Centre
Sheppard

The TTC better not be dumb enough to duplicate Lawrence and Sheppard with the existing stations. Also, no Scarborough Metropolitan Centre? :p

A subway is enough to boost Scarborough's ego. Scarborough doesn't need "metropolitan" in the name of its subway station for a double ego boost, like Vaughan does.

“It is the plan that is in place but as with all of these things we have to work in cooperation with the municipalities,†Wynne told reporters on Friday when asked about whether the subway could be revisited. “There is no point in pretending that there doesn’t have to be a good working relationship with the municipalities.â€

Chow, who has led the mayoral race in every poll to date, has said that she would use the provincial funding to build an LRT line and then put the money collected through the property tax hike towards the cost of building a downtown relief subway line.

When asked if the provincial money would be available for an LRT as opposed to a subway, Wynne said she would “not go into those hypotheticals.â€

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/wynne-duck...it-scarborough-subway-1.1889120#ixzz35rC9XO6b

The Liberals are committing to something and nothing at the same time.

Let's put it through my politician to English translator:
"If chow is elected, the subway is likely dead"

Any questions? :)

Here's what I hope Chow will do if she's reelected:

Cancel the Scarbrorough Subway extension and reintroduce the SRT replacement. Interline the SRT with the ECLRT. Since ridership on the ECLRT will be too high for street median ROW operations, grade separate the line from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy. The ~$600M from the feds and ~$900M from Toronto should be enough to build the grade separated portion from Don Mills to Kennedy.

This is the best of all plans imo. Eglinton gets grade separated, Scarborough loses a transfer and [unlike with the Ford plan] we'd get to keep SELRT and FWLRT.

My only concern about this is that this option would cause more crowding on Yonge, between Bloor and Eglinton. The current ECLRT won't have this issue.

Last edited:

Cancel the Scarbrorough Subway extension and reintroduce the SRT replacement. Interline the SRT with the ECLRT. Since ridership on the ECLRT will be too high for street median ROW operations, grade separate the line from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy. The ~$600M from the feds and ~$900M from Toronto should be enough to build the grade separated portion from Don Mills to Kennedy.

This is the best of all plans imo. Eglinton gets grade separated, Scarborough loses a transfer and [unlike with the Ford plan] we'd get to keep SELRT and FWLRT.

My only concern about this is that this option would cause more crowding on Yonge, north between Bloor and Eglinton. The current ECLRT won't have this issue.
BAM! And that's the best idea! *Sounds the alarm for BurlOak*...

I think it means if the next mayor wants a subway they will get it....if the next mayor wants LRT they will get it.
Assuming the next mayor has the support of council, and the city is willing to pay the sunk costs Metrolinx would have thrown away on redesigning and tendering for construction the Kennedy platform on the Eglinton line to fit with a subway extension, rather than an LRT line.

My only concern about this is that this option would cause more crowding on Yonge, between Bloor and Eglinton. The current ECLRT won't have this issue.

Why is this better than the current plan of extending Danforth & having ECLRT as is?

The Danforth extension has enough ridership for a subway.. 11,000 ppphd. Grade separating ECLRT east takes 1.9 billion, and you would still have to pay for convert SRT to SLRT.

Why is this better than the current plan of extending Danforth & having ECLRT as is?

The Danforth extension has enough ridership for a subway.. 11,000 ppphd. Grade separating ECLRT east takes 1.9 billion, and you would still have to pay for convert SRT to SLRT.

just take the danforth extension money and put it to the DRL.... the end.

just take the danforth extension money and put it to the DRL.... the end.

Because it doesn't make sense to spend 4 billion dollars to eliminate a transfer. The SRT is becoming a LRT anyway, because they are using the vehicles the other LRT's are.

Because it doesn't make sense to spend 4 billion dollars to eliminate a transfer. The SRT is becoming a LRT anyway, because they are using the vehicles the other LRT's are.

4 billion? That's the total cost of the subway right? There is a cost to convert the SRT to LRT and grade-separating Eglinton east (because all the Scarborough riders are funnelled onto Eglinton) as well. So there is a base cost that must happen to replace the SRT regardless (since it's almost end of life), and extra costs as result of this decision to grade-separate Eglinton East.

So.. I don't feel the statement "4 billion to eliminate a transfer" is an accurate or full picture of the two options.

Essentially you're taking many of the SRT riders heading downtown off the Bloor subway and putting them onto the Eglinton line instead.

With the current plan its only Scarborough
that's grade separated. With my proposal its Scarborough + Eglinton. You basically get more subway for the buck.

the Scarborough LRT will offer greater flexibility when extending the line.

Also, this will reduce the number of transfers at B-Y, reduce crowding on the Bloor-Danforth and push ECLRT ridership to 12,000 (right now it's only 6,000, which is really low for a subway)

Last edited:

Back