News   Jul 17, 2024
 393     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 494     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

What I have is actually 3 routes along the Kennedy-Ellesmere stretch of the corridor: Markham GO REX up to Lincolnville, Unionville GO REX (uses DRL through downtown), and Scarborough GO REX. Each would have 15 min frequencies outside of peak, with higher frequencies during peak, especially the Scarborough route.

This means a very high trunk frequency; 5 min off-peak and 3 - 4 min peak, and that is just for the Uxbridge sub.

Could that be sustainable in the Lakeshore East corridor through eastern Toronto, that will at least partly remain on surface, and has to handle both Uxbridge sub trains and Lakeshore East trains?

Yeah. Really, Chow will not even need much effort to save her face. She can cancel the city's portion of funding (shortening the subway to STC), and claim a victory by saving the property tax dollars. Having done that, she will have no compelling reason to insist on LRT versus subway.

While the province holds the purse strings for all the projects and a significant portion of the funding for various programs in the city? I highly doubt she would go down that route. I agree with Keithz that there will be negotiations and Chow will get her priorities funded in exchange for letting BD extension go ahead with the tax in place. She really isn't that different from Wynne - they are far more valuable to each other as allies than foes.

AoD

While the province holds the purse strings for all the projects and a significant portion of the funding for various programs in the city? I highly doubt she would go down that route. I agree with Keithz that there will be negotiations and Chow will get her priorities funded in exchange for letting BD extension go ahead with the tax in place. She really isn't that different from Wynne - they are far more valuable to each other as allies than foes.

Chow's plan is to take the subway money and put it into the DRL (recently) and bus service.

If the province took responsibility for cost-escalation of the Scarborough extension and fully funded the DRL, they're basically at the same place from a financial perspective. Really, the cost escalations are the entire problem. A 25% increase in cost of the extension, which isn't unheard of as the EA hasn't even started yet, would greatly harm Chow as mayor (another 5% city-wide tax hike for that single project).

TTC has a massive SOGR backlog that needs a cash infusion. The province kicking in money toward that would greatly help things move along.

Feds in 2015 are a big wild card. While they probably won't do anything significant, there is a slim chance they could fund something big which takes pressure off the province and the city to fund maintenance.

Last edited:
Rainforest Sheppard is not getting re routed to STC. The LRT will be built in full to Morningside and then Dean Park. The entire point of the LRT is more for less. The SRT? Let them build the subway. The subway does not pass through Mitzie Hunter riding so it should mean jack to her.

There is also a lot of people here prospecting how the subway option would be better in the sense of land development and ridership in the long term. More than the experts at Metrolinx, with the tools and resources they have at their disposal? I'll put my chips in their corner any day.

Rainforest Sheppard is not getting re routed to STC. The LRT will be built in full to Morningside and then Dean Park. The entire point of the LRT is more for less. The SRT? Let them build the subway. The subway does not pass through Mitzie Hunter riding so it should mean jack to her.

If the subway ends at STC, then Sheppard LRT will have to divert from Sheppard and connect to the subway terminus.

If the subway reaches Sheppard, then the LRT will stay on Sheppard.

I do not disagree that the LRT should reach Dean Park in the east (in fact, it would be nice to extend it to the zoo).

If the subway ends at STC, then Sheppard LRT will have to divert from Sheppard and connect to the subway terminus.

If the subway reaches Sheppard, then the LRT will stay on Sheppard.

I do not disagree that the LRT should reach Dean Park in the east (in fact, it would be nice to extend it to the zoo).

If the use the sheppard alignment, there would be an interchange station at Sheppard-McCowan. They would still have to serve east of McCowan.

And that was kind of the entire point though, eh? Bring the SRT to Malvern and the Sheppard LRT to Dean Park. They can bring the subway under the SRT alignment to Malvern via Centennial College, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
There is also a lot of people here prospecting how the subway option would be better in the sense of land development and ridership in the long term. More than the experts at Metrolinx, with the tools and resources they have at their disposal? I'll put my chips in their corner any day.
Goes both ways. City planning has said SRT alignment is better for development but all studies have shown higher ridership the subway. I have to take city planning at it's word but much of the SRT alignment runs through industrially zoned land that the city does not want to see developed so it has weaknesses too.

Station names:
Lawrence
Scarborough Centre
Sheppard

The TTC better not be dumb enough to duplicate Lawrence and Sheppard with the existing stations. Also, no Scarborough Metropolitan Centre? :p

They won't duplicate the names. Lawrence and Sheppard will most likely become Lawrence East and Sheppard East.

Cherise Burda ‏@CheriseBurda 2m

Wynne says Scarb subway is the plan in place but she wants to work with next mayor to make best decisions. #onpoli #topoli

Back