News   Jul 18, 2024
 823     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 735     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 567     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

So ridership on the subway will be roughly equal to the DRL? How is that low ridership? And besides, being 4,000 pphd or 30% away from your maximum capacity is never a good thing. It would mean that the LRT would just need to get replaced in 40 years again.

Well Scarborough is 11,000. Relief line is 14,400. That's 40% more.

That said, 11,000 isn't horrible for an extension. IIRC, TYSSE will have 11,000 southbound passengers per peak hour at Sheppard West station.

So ridership on the subway will be roughly equal to the DRL? How is that low ridership? And besides, being 4,000 pphd or 30% away from your maximum capacity is never a good thing. It would mean that the LRT would just need to get replaced in 40 years again.

How long are you going to campaign for this? Nothing will convince anyone else here that this is a bad idea just like Sheppard East. We don't know if ridership will rise or lower in 40 years.

Any decent and far more cost effective improvements in GO will take a good part of that ridership away, and building a subway line 40 years before it is needed means it will probably be paid for several times over with the increased operating costs in the meantime.

These projections for the Scarborough subway extension seem too high. I assume that that is with no improvements to the Stouffville line, because that would cannibalize a lot of the ridership.

Given that the Sheppard subway extension (Don Mills to STC) has more development along it than the Scarborough subway (Kennedy to STC), I suspect its ridership is being lowballed.

Any decent and far more cost effective improvements in GO will take a good part of that ridership away, and building a subway line 40 years before it is needed means it will probably be paid for several times over with the increased operating costs in the meantime.

These projections for the Scarborough subway extension seem too high. I assume that that is with no improvements to the Stouffville line, because that would cannibalize a lot of the ridership.

Given that the Sheppard subway extension (Don Mills to STC) has more development along it than the Scarborough subway (Kennedy to STC), I suspect its ridership is being lowballed.
When Stouffville goes to full day service they line will be eaten alive because we will have fare integration at that point. Both Scarborough subways are bad ideas.

Would it though? GO fares will be at least double vs. TTC.

Regardless of if the ridsership is there or not this line is too expensive. If the GO corridors were electrified, upgraded to at least 15 min service all day and a few more stations were built, it would do the exact same thing at a fraction of the price.

I assume that along with running electrified GO trains every <=15 minutes, fares are lowered to be the same as the TTC. In that case, the Stouffville line would steal a lot of riders from the Scarborough subway.

I assume that along with running electrified GO trains every <=15 minutes, fares are lowered to be the same as the TTC. In that case, the Stouffville line would steal a lot of riders from the Scarborough subway.

Fare intergration will solve that.

Fare integration my friend, fare integration. If a universal fare zone system gets adopted for the GTHA, whole new ballgame.

Regardless of if the ridsership is there or not this line is too expensive. If the GO corridors were electrified, upgraded to at least 15 min service all day and a few more stations were built, it would do the exact same thing at a fraction of the price.

They would do it better, because if the aim is to get downtown quickly, Stouffville line beats the Bloor-Danforth line hands down.

When Stouffville goes to full day service they line will be eaten alive because we will have fare integration at that point. Both Scarborough subways are bad ideas.
Here's a billions dollars non-LRT plan that screws STC over (just STC):
Stouffville all-day + Sheppard East to STC (line 4) + B-D ends at Kennedy (line 2).
Interchange stations at: Agincourt (Stouffville/line 4), Kennedy (Stouffville/line 2/line 5 - crosstown)
New tunnel through downtown from east of Broadview (the DRL route); Stouffville trains alternate between running to Union and running through the downtown tunnel.

Back