News   Jul 18, 2024
 316     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 433     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 498     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I wouldn't call it impossible to transition from street ROW to the elevated SRT station at Kennedy. Have the LRT tracks rise to elevated over Eglinton before Kennedy - it's all Scarborough strip malls along the street here anyways - and then curve southward across the parking lot toward Kennedy Station. There would have to be some design considerations to ensure that the tracks don't curve too sharply for the LRT vehicles, but overall it could be doable.

I wouldn't call it impossible to transition from street ROW to the elevated SRT station at Kennedy. Have the LRT tracks rise to elevated over Eglinton before Kennedy - it's all Scarborough strip malls along the street here anyways - and then curve southward across the parking lot toward Kennedy Station. There would have to be some design considerations to ensure that the tracks don't curve too sharply for the LRT vehicles, but overall it could be doable.
Agreed.

Are you suggesting re-using the existing station. I understand that the curve from the existing station to the northbound tracks are too tight for LRT - too tight for ALRT also.

^ A continuous ECLRT + SRT will require full grade-separated Eglinton East which is a nontrivial additional cost; about $2 billion for going underground, although it can be less than that if some sections are elevated. Plus, such configuration is going to shift a lot of riders from Danforth subway to Eglinton, and risk overwhelming Yonge between Eglinton and Bloor.

"Plus the lack of running up to Sheppard would've avoided the cannibalizing of Sheppard East's ridership." I can't agree with this statement. If the riders, given a choice, prefer to go south or south-west instead of staying on Sheppard and going west - then they must not be forced to go west by the lack of southern connection. Sheppard route should be left for those who actually needs to travel west.

What you are saying is that it is $2B extra for going underground, and it could cost about $2B (or more) less if sections are elevated for the Malvern to Mount Dennis portion - provided they would have explored the option right from the start. There probably would have been maybe an extra $500M required for the Malvern to Pearson line - which is not very much on a $7B+ line.

http://skytrainforsurrey.org/2012/0...uing-this-technology-and-not-lrt-on-eglinton/

The use of the same technology which is currently servicing two of three lines on the Vancouver SkyTrain system on the west coast of Canada with Bombardier Innovia Metro/ART trains (or comparable) and with Linear Induction Motor track would provide the same cost savings that moving a portion of the LRT at-grade would and more, despite a need for complete grade separation of the line. It would provide faster, more reliable service and be more flexible in capacity expansion, and also remove the travel time penalty associated with at-grade LRT.

my god, how many times do I have to pull out my little mean girls meme?

There is absolutely 0 need to grade separate a line that has around 2,000 PPHD.

The mean girls meme is glorious.

I'm sure a grade separated Eglinton East would be nice, but I think street ROW will be fine. Connecting it like I said before to the SRT station, with appropriate modifications for two platforms/longer platforms/gentler curve, could be done to make it through-run with the SRT replacement.

You can do it as many times as you want - I did not see the movie since I was not a tweenager at that time.

And I do not agree that grade separation is not needed for 12,000 PPHPD.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=5461

You can do it as many times as you want - I did not see the movie since I was not a tweenager at that time.

And I do not agree that grade separation is not needed for 12,000 PPHPD.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=5461

That link clearly states that the 12,000 riders per hours is caused by interlining the SRT with Eglinton, and they are not new riders, they are just switching over from the BD Subway.

Without interlining there is no need for grade separation.

I haven't seen it either, its just a common joke online that I adopted to my own use haha. (I have seen the clip that it was taken from however)

Yes its 12,000 PPHD if you interline it, we get it. All you are doing is moving ridership around however and inventing numbers. I also misinterpreted your last post as though you wanted an elevated line to the airport.

3,600 PPHD (ridership of the surface portion of Eglinton right as it is about to enter the Brentcliffe portal) + 8,000 PPHD from the SRT = 11,600 PPHD. all you are doing is moving around numbers to justify an overbuilt line that is not required. Those 8,000 PPHD riders can easily transfer onto the under capacity B-D line, and better feed the DRL. Elevating Eglinton east only necessitates bringing the DRL north, a line which would otherwise be stupidly under capacity. (projections hit the Northern DRL extension to Eglinton at well below the Sheppard subway)

Sigh. It will never end, the same people will be here arguing for it years and years indefinitely into the future, typing the same arguments again and again year after year.

luckily once the construction contract for the surface portion of Eglinton is tendered in the next year or so it will finally be done.

Back