News   May 09, 2024
 515     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 824     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 551     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Fortify this, expand that, widen everything...it all sounds so easy. It's not.

Unless your implying rennovation of an existing line is more expensive than tunnel-boring a new one from stratch please shut the... well you know 8) .

farms don't need subways.

But apparently industrial wastelands do :rolleyes .

Ryan suggested extending Scarborough's "lame duck" Rapid Transit line into Pickering, Oshawa, Markham and York Region to create a major transportation network linking "millions of people, several key business corridors and two university campuses within three separate municipal regions."

Finally, I'm truly not alone on this :D . Hear that mockers, someone who actually wants better than GO in East Scarborough and Pickering besides me. Following the Malvern/Zoo alignment it'd be by no stretch of the imagination to continue eastwards to Sheppard/Kingston Rd before meeting up with Pickering GO and onwards to Brock Rd. Maybe then you'll get it, it's not about where it ends, it's how many more people that get connected to mass transit.

This doesn't even have to affect BD running along a different alignment to STC so in the end three (3) rapid transit lines: BD, SRT and Sheppard, would serve the city centre and BD could even continue north via McCowan to the exhalted density nodes around Steeles and Hwy 7.

He's just trying to one up Joe Li's plan to extend the Yonge line to Hwy 7 & Ninth Line.

You know as you bring that up I never did get a proper link from you guys about it since Li's site has been revamped.

How bout funding for sustainable transit? If all we're given is money for SRTs, stubways, and Sinkhole extensions, no wonder we're in such a mess.

Quite the contrary, our budget's eledgedly been going into subway/RT extensions yet most of the city's nodes are inadequately or not-at-all at a subway line. If not to new subways, the $ all going towards maintenence and new bus purchases. The three Ss are disgracefully underutilized and until their eventual expansions transit in this city will never be sustainable.

"Unless your implying rennovation of an existing line is more expensive than tunnel-boring a new one from stratch"

It doesn't need to be tunnel bored the whole way, and, yes, renovating might be more expensive. At least if it was tunneled or cut and covered in an alignment other than the RT's, Scarborough wouldn't be without rapid transit for several years.

"But apparently industrial wastelands do"

What's at Midland & Ellesmere? A works yard, an aluminum plant, a huuuge cardboard recycling depot, a U-store it place, etc.

"The three Ss are disgracefully underutilized "

If the SRT is underutilized, why are thousands of rides lost every day due to overcrowding?

It doesn't need to be tunnel bored the whole way,

That's a vague statement. If BD runs diagonally to STC it has to be underground as buildings would impede it from being at grade :rolleyes . The only at grade or elevated solution is in the SRT corridor.

yes, renovating might be more expensive.

Wrong again, modification of the existing concrete bridge abutments and replacement of the existing steel truss bridges' superstructure with new steel through the girder superstructure would allow the elevated structure to support T1 subway cars. Hence the existing horizontal track alignment would not be changed, only raising the vertical profile 8o .

I know this all sounds technical but if it done from circa 2004 it only would've totalled around $476 million and increased capacity by 33%. Obviously if the TTC were given a budget of $750 mil to 1 billion to toy with there'd be a surpass left over well enough to include backfill and even continue for a short distance beyond the existing abutments getting the line as far as the Markham Rd-Centennial College area or even straight to Sheppard East.

cut and covered in an alignment other than the RT's, Scarborough wouldn't be without rapid transit for several years.

Yeah but then you couldn't ball to your city councillor that the Sheppard Line through Agincourt to STC needs to be the number one priority, could you? Isn't SRT closed every Sunday now and replaced by buses? Some PR work is all that need be applied here, short term sacrifice for long term gain, only a marginal segment of the population can't see that as a good thing.

What's at Midland & Ellesmere?

Nothing's there Scarberian, that's why they put two interim subways there and proposed two more. What happened to your it's-not-where-they-run-through-it's the-destination rant or the one about those industrial buildings being phased out by townhouses, offices and condos?

In a perfect world it's Kennedy/Ellesmere that'd get the subway NOT Midland because unlike there it has several passenger draws surrounding it- residential community, chain malls, factory outlets, brisk walk to Progress, Mondeo, Kennedy Commons, etc. But alas I digress!

If the SRT is underutilized, why are thousands of rides lost every day due to overcrowding?

Lost? Most people if they miss a train or if the one they catch is too full (note: they only crowd the 2 front cars, back cars are always with seats/standing room) they just wait for the next one. Only a marginal few prefer the bus because the interchange is too laborious and time-consuming.

A little bit of me dies inside whenever I think of how much time and effort you two have wasted debating this nonsense. Sorry, I had to say it.

Consider it my blog :)

It's as pointless as every other thread in this or every other forum on the internet...the real waste of time is reading pages of someone else's nonsense and then saying to yourself "phew, I'm glad I didn't waste my time writing that!"

An even bigger waste of time is complaining about it, and the biggest waste of time is responding to the complaints.

A little bit of me dies inside whenever I think of how much time and effort you two have wasted debating this nonsense. Sorry, I had to say it.

Keep on dying my friend, it's not wasted time or effort, I obviously get immense pleasure out of counter-arguing and debunking Scarberian's narrow point-of-view about practically everything or else I wouldn't continue to post here since you know my critics can be harshly cruel or so they wish to believe. So don't feel sorry about anything.

For a moment it was so quiet that one could hear...

...the pathetic boredom your lives were before I graced the scene. I can be the village idiot if you can muster up the courage to laugh a little and not take this message board so seriously. If you think David Miller's taking one iota we discuss here into the slightest of consideration I suggest you find another forum... for the self-delusional :lol !

Consider it my blog

Speaking of self-delusional :rolleyes . Listen bub, I'm the main attraction here, you're just the wall I bounce my ingenuity off of and a dense wall at that!

the real waste of time is reading pages of someone else's nonsense and then saying to yourself "phew, I'm glad I didn't waste my time writing that!"

How trite, my replies are only get better and better as time progresses, including the one prior to this which pointed out some of the stupidest mistakes you've written to date.

An even bigger waste of time is complaining about it, and the biggest waste of time is responding to the complaints.

No and double nope. Since I'm a BA with vast knowl...well I'll reveal my true identity (not Alcock :lol ) another time, but I can say this: arguments made in a vacuum are truly devoid of any imperical knowledge as it disallows the audience to be engaged in it's meaning, hence it's validity is questionnable. In other words, theory implies there is enough imperical evidence to support a conclusion if and only if all possible denominators are considered 8o . Think about it!

It's as pointless as every other thread in this or every other forum on the internet...

Not really. There are plenty of actual announcements that merit discussion (like the one today), but you two take it to ridiculous extremes. For your sake I really hope you're both professional urban planners...

the real waste of time is reading pages of someone else's nonsense and then saying to yourself "phew, I'm glad I didn't waste my time writing that!"

Ha, like anyone would actually go through all that! A rapid scan was enough to make my eyes glaze over. But hey, knock yourselves out - that's all I'll be saying on the matter.

:hat

"An active fantasy life."

:eek may I suggest an active 'real' life instead?

"There are plenty of actual announcements that merit discussion (like the one today), but you two take it to ridiculous extremes."

No way- I told you it's entertaining, that's why I subject myself to your unwavering criticism ;) . Copy and pasting some article from the Star or Post then yapping about it catonically is lame, lame, mega-lame!

"For your sake I really hope you're both professional urban planners..."

I wanted to be but the pay wasn't good enough :lol ! That and the potential disiaster of working alongside Neanderthals like Adma and Scarberian.

"Ha, like anyone would actually go through all that! A rapid scan was enough to make my eyes glaze over. But hey, knock yourselves out - that's all I'll be saying on the matter."

Hey, thanks for the info :D . Now I see why the most strong of my arguments are overlooked, you have to filter through alot of data to get at it. I'll try to shorten my rants to a few paragraphs from now, in spite of there being so much rubbish to respond to, 80% of which from Scarberiankhatru.

"For your sake I really hope you're both professional urban planners..."

If I was a professional, I wouldn't waste my time fighting with socialwoe, I'd waste it fighting with the TTC, politicians, etc.

"I'll try to shorten my rants to a few paragraphs from now"

No, don't do that...your rants are the funniest part.

If I was a professional, I wouldn't waste my time fighting with socialwoe, I'd waste it fighting with the TTC, politicians, etc.

:rollin
Talk about wastes of time! They'd dismiss your rhetoric so fast, you wouldn't know your brian from your foot. I least I consider your replies a bit before obliterating them.

No, don't do that...your rants are the funniest part.

But they're not intended to be funny...I'm dead serious when I say I want subways to Fallingbrook, Long Branch, UTSC, Rexdale, Pearson and Rouge Hill ;) . 100 stations on a Queen-Eglinton line beats 10 on a DRL any day.

The bitter irony is making my head implode. People A and B begin arguing. They argue for something like ten pages. Person C comes in and criticizes the fact that people A and B have argued for so long about the same thing. People A and B then proceed to argue with everyone else about the validity of their argument.

Mind = Blown

Back