News   Jul 17, 2024
 251     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 675     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Despite Doug Ford's promise that this would be 3 stations, he's done nothing to actually change the current process. When (if!) they make an uploading decisions, this could already tendered for construction.

The Doug Ford's government is a wild card at this point. Had the Liberals stayed in power for a few more years, SSE would be under construction and no future government change could stop it.

I'd much prefer the present provincial government to set the course and follow through. One-stop, three-stops, two-stops, whichever they feel they can afford. Just end the uncertainty.

Let's see what the budget says.

Interesting for the weekly dose of downtown NDP-Liberal transit propaganda

Gotta love how the Star narrates to readers that Rob pushed for the 3 stop subway when in fact it was the Liberals who pushed the TTC after the LRT and Sheppard subway deal with McGuinty was overruled by council. Rob did agree at that point but never pushed for it.

Misinformation will likely will get worse now that they are completely powerless to stop the Conservatives from delivering the subway lines

Pagliaro's extreme anti scarboorugh subway coverage is nuts. She probably spends half of her work time covering a project that hasn't had a real update in a year. There are a lot of valid points on the "opposition" side of the item but she drives every little comment and point into the ground, trying to turn little things that even for the scarborough subway are nothing into big scandals. It comes of as a sort of vendetta to me.

Interesting for the weekly dose of downtown NDP-Liberal transit propaganda

Gotta love how the Star narrates to readers that Rob pushed for the 3 stop subway when in fact it was the Liberals who pushed the TTC after the LRT and Sheppard subway deal with McGuinty was overruled by council. Rob did agree at that point but never pushed for it.

Misinformation will likely will get worse now that they are completely powerless to stop the Conservatives from delivering the subway lines

Didn't Doug Ford express during the provincial campaign he wanted a three stop subway? Why ignore that in your response?

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/09/doug-ford-scarborough-subway-plan/

Didn't Doug Ford express during the provincial campaign he wanted a three stop subway? Why ignore that in your response?

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/09/doug-ford-scarborough-subway-plan/

She clearly said Rob pushed for it if you go thru the thread. "Meanwhile, Ford has said the original three-stop subway his brother Rob pushed for should be built..." Nothing about the Liberals or TTC who were the real pushers. Never have i seen the mention of Robs agreement for LRT

Of course Doug said he'll build the 3 stop. The one stop "planning" was lunacy and its the best path forward to achieve a connected Centre at this stage.

Although i should have added there are some good points to be made, but its unfortunate they saturate them in a propaganda narrative and worse mislead their readers with polarizing spin.

Last edited:
Pagliaro's extreme anti scarboorugh subway coverage is nuts. She probably spends half of her work time covering a project that hasn't had a real update in a year. There are a lot of valid points on the "opposition" side of the item but she drives every little comment and point into the ground, trying to turn little things that even for the scarborough subway are nothing into big scandals. It comes of as a sort of vendetta to me.
Anti ford blowback imo

Of course Doug said he'll build the 3 stop. The one stop "planning" was lunacy and its the best path forward to achieve a connected Centre at this stage.
I disagree. The anti-Scarborough 3-stop subway is almost as bad for Scarborough as the 1-stop subway. The city report clearly showed that building the entire thing as LRT had higher ridership. And now we are pushing $5 billion for a 3-stop subway, how much LRT could we build for that? Probably about 50 stops?

Reactions: syn
I disagree. The anti-Scarborough 3-stop subway is almost as bad for Scarborough as the 1-stop subway. The city report clearly showed that building the entire thing as LRT had higher ridership. And now we are pushing $5 billion for a 3-stop subway, how much LRT could we build for that? Probably about 50 stops?

The City has been completely off in its criteria for building transit for some time and caused this mess.

Sorry but a reliable centrally connected piece of infrastructure with less transfers is not bad, its great. Ellesmere and Midland stops are not worth preserving for rapid transit in the bigger picture of Scarborough but maybe in the future if a City Centre LRT to EELRT is required it would make sense to add back.

People all around Lawrence avoid the RT like the plague. The RT was bad on many levels , a 3 stop subway is a fantastic piece of infrastructure. I think they could have split the middle on improving the line with a subway or LRT connecting the Centre on the old corridor . And a connected LRT is also detailed as having greater benefit on a Provincial report. Rob tried and that ship sailed.

A connected subway stop with a RER stop on Lawrence, and a connected subway stop centrally on Sheppard with a RER stop on Finch are highly beneficial game changers in how travel pattern will open up for residents in the future. Not to mention the boost to the Centre we are about to see surrounding the subway

Aside from initial cost there is no comparison for long term benefits to build around.

Last edited:
Sorry but a reliable centrally connected piece of infrastructure with less transfers is not bad, its great. Ellesmere and Midland stops are not worth preserving for rapid transit and the bigger picture of Scarborough ...
Ellesmere and Midland are week, but Lawrence East is used. And losing the connection to Centennial college and Sheppard/Markham is a travesty. Grade-separated transit to Malvern would have been a benefit as well.

The 3-stop (later shortened to 1-stop) subway had all this as part of Line 5, which would have provided great connectivity in Scarborough.

Personally, the only justification I can see for building this $5 billion subway is because Scarborough doesn't deserve proper transit.

Based on Eglinton West estimates ~15km of elevated LRT with stations every 500m (major streets and midblock) would be achievable. That puts Steeles well within within reach, although GO RER will already service it, so perhaps push a line up to MorningSide Heights and a second branch into U of T?

Last edited:
The City has been completely off in its criteria for building transit for some time and caused this mess.

Sorry but a reliable centrally connected piece of infrastructure with less transfers is not bad, its great. Ellesmere and Midland stops are not worth preserving for rapid transit in the bigger picture of Scarborough but maybe in the future if a City Centre LRT to EELRT is required it would make sense to add back.

People all around Lawrence avoid the RT like the plague. The RT was bad on many levels , a 3 stop subway is a fantastic piece of infrastructure. I think they could have split the middle on improving the line with a subway or LRT connecting the Centre on the old corridor . And a connected LRT is also detailed as having greater benefit on a Provincial report. Rob tried and that ship sailed.

A connected subway stop with a RER stop on Lawrence, and a connected subway stop centrally on Sheppard with a RER stop on Finch are highly beneficial game changers in how travel pattern will open up for residents in the future. Not to mention the boost to the Centre we are about to see surrounding the subway

Aside from initial cost there is no comparison for long term benefits to build around.
I’m sorry, did you actually post something that I sort of agree with? However, what you’re saying only makes sense if the City and Province has money, a subway from Kennedy to Sheppard (Line 2 East), a LRT from Kennedy[/Mount Dennis] to Malvern (EELRT), and a LRT from Lawrence GO/ST/RER to Malvern along Progress (SLRT modified) is just not within budget.

I’m sorry, did you actually post something that I sort of agree with? However, what you’re saying only makes sense if the City and Province has money, a subway from Kennedy to Sheppard (Line 2 East), a LRT from Kennedy[/Mount Dennis] to Malvern (EELRT), and a LRT from Lawrence GO/ST/RER to Malvern along Progress (SLRT modified) is just not within budget.

Really. Ive been basically saying this all along.

Things get sidetracked in the forum when I mention i support a subway over the blanket (what saw as poorly designed) LRT. I have stated many times and LRT should still run as a City Centre line to Malvern in addition to the the Sheppard subway and SSE. I could even see the case for the Sheppard LRT if the 3 stop is built but not my preference, strongly believe its not wanted by the residents here and never coming back politically. More time and money would be lost with another debate fwiw. We need to start with the most crucial pieces first, the rest easier in the the future and not mandatory. The SSE and the EELRT will make both Sheppard subway and City Centre to Malvern LRT connections in the future. The Centre should have been connected with any plan of any technology.

The City has no chance of raising necessary capital to develop a reasonable plan. The Province and Feds have the channels but refused to come help or develope a sustainable plan. That mixed with some strange political love for LRT technology with little care for details by a certain group is what led us into the mess of Transit City. Now the upper levels are slowly creeping in quickly as its overdue. On the capital side atleast.

Along with Smarttrack a better foundation to build around about to be laid, finally

Last edited:

There was a major update in mid-August. The information in her report pertains to the timing and cost update.

I have no problem with her updates given the colossal price attached to this project and the fact that many continue to be in the dark about what it entails.

Back