News   Apr 24, 2024
 918     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Costco (42-46 Overlea Boulevard) Demolition of Heritage Building, Former Coca-Cola HQ

Rendering.

Attachments

• 42overlea_southeastbirdseye.jpg
    42overlea_southeastbirdseye.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 891
Rendering.

The only difference in current rendering VS May 2014 rendering (which also shows usage of old Coca-cola office building) are the doors beside the main entrances are white instead of grey and there's now more windows along the side near the main entance. Definitely no dramatic changes in rendering - for fine tuning than anything else. Other than that,... basically all Costco looks the same!
Previous May 2014 rendering here, focus on page 2-4:
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...f/4/42overlea_PerspectiveDrawings_may2014.pdf

This should be a more urban Costco in that it'll be surrounded by more high density developments and much closer to transit and cycling infrastructure than a typical suburban Costco. Thus, I'm assuming less percentage of Costco users here would be loading up the SUV every weekend,... it'll be more frequent trips buying bag-ful of items they could easily carry walking, cycling or taking transit home. Renderings does have bike racks,... and huge gas station - even by Costco standards!

This will be a huge boon to us Leaside Costco frequenters. We now make the trip to Scarborough. While it takes us past Shawarma Empire, our favourite shawarma joint in the whole city, it's a long drive with two small children.

I like that this Costco looks a lot more urban than the other 3 Toronto Costco locations. I usually bike or take the TTC to Costco and the worst part is walking through a massive parking lot just to get there. At this location you won't have to do that, and it will be a lot closer to me than the other locations (only a 20 minute bike ride from downtown!).

I like that this Costco looks a lot more urban than the other 3 Toronto Costco locations. I usually bike or take the TTC to Costco and the worst part is walking through a massive parking lot just to get there. At this location you won't have to do that, and it will be a lot closer to me than the other locations (only a 20 minute bike ride from downtown!).

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I often frequent the North York and Scarborough Costco via TTC. It's odd that these 3 Toronto Costco have their main entrances as far away as possible from the main road and thus public transit - it's like they're trying to mess with transit users! In addition, For Scarborough Costco on Warden and North York Costco on Wilson; not only do you have to walk through a massive parking lot but also the entire length of the Costco building just to get to the main entrance. WTF, who design this pedestrian in-walk-able nightmare???? How did they ever get pass City Planning???

At least this new Thorncliff Costco will have the main doors on Overlea Boulevard with TTC bus stop nearby. :)

They obviously don't expect people to walk or bike. We live downtown and use the Scarborough or Etobicoke location depending on who we are visiting in the suburbs. And since we only go once every few months a Zipcar is required to carry the kids and the massive amount of stuff we buy.

My understanding is that most people buy in-bulk at Costco. Pedestrians and Cyclists are probably not their main target customer.

But yes, it is kinda dumb when you think about it. Often one family member will walk into the store, do their shopping and later be picked up by car by their spouse. Stores should be designed to accommodate that.

My understanding is that most people buy in-bulk at Costco. Pedestrians and Cyclists are probably not their main target customer.

But yes, it is kinda dumb when you think about it. Often one family member will walk into the store, do their shopping and later be picked up by car by their spouse. Stores should be designed to accommodate that.

Like a Kiss N' Ride, but Kiss N' Buy?

OT, but once we went to the Costco near Wilson station - we had backpacks to bring home our stuff - they wouldn't let us in the doors with the packs. When we explained that we were on foot, they really didn't know how to handle us.

Not necessarily. There is a Costco in downtown Vancouver located right next to a Skytrain station. They even charge for parking!

OT, but once we went to the Costco near Wilson station - we had backpacks to bring home our stuff - they wouldn't let us in the doors with the packs. When we explained that we were on foot, they really didn't know how to handle us.
I've had this experience as well at the Downsview location. They made me leave my bag at the front door and when I went to pick it up, there was a different greeter there and she gave me tons of attitude saying that "We're not allowed to hold bags at the front door". I was really pissed and complained to head office. The Downsview manager personally called me and said that her staff would be retrained.

Like a Kiss N' Ride, but Kiss N' Buy?

Sure, for drop-offs. But they also need (or at least should) to accommodate customers who arrive by bus or foot. Accessibility to the street sidewalk, position of the store entrance, not having to walk through seas of parking, maybe even protection from the elements. If this was Europe, even bike racks would be suggested.

Back