News   Apr 18, 2024
 673     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

CityPlace: West One

I know the city has talked about a streetcar on Bremner but I really don't see where this streetcar is going to come from and go to without a lot of money. On Bremner east of Spadina there has been no allowance for a streetcar, there doesn't seem to be any mention of a west streetcar platform in the Union station plan, no allowance for a streetcar at the Telus tower, and with the lowering of the east moat it would be almost impossible to run the streetcar under the moat to York. The streetcar would have to come up from Queens Quay or south from King... I don't see it happening.

This city council isn't making sense with streetcars on Bremner or Cherry because they haven't designed a full route from start to finish that would incorporate those sections.

Wouldn't any potential streetcar just parallel and then hook-up with the track that goes along Queen's quay? I like the idea of it but it seems like a big expense to accomodate, and really just for a kilometre or so of track that ends up in the same place..?

Just wondering, Bremmner west of spadina looks quite wobbly- why not make the road straight?

I have always assumed that a Bremner Streetcar (which should actually be called Fort York Blvd Streetcar) would run along Queens Quay, up Spadina and then west along Fort York Blvd, accessing the western condos. It could turn onto Fleet Street (meeting up with the Bathurst or Exhibition Streetcar), turn north on Strachan, west on East Liberty to access Liberty Village.

A streetcar heading south from the CityPlace condos to Queens Quay, and then north again in the Bay tunnel would waste a lot of time getting its passengers to and from Union Station.

I am under the impression that the plan is to reengineer Bremner Blvd east of Spadina to accommodate the streetcar. Somewhere between Simcoe and York there'll be some space where they can get the thing into a tunnel, and get the tunnel over to the rebuilt streetcar platforms under Bay at Union Station. And yes, it'll be expensive, but as there will be so many residents along Bremner and Fort York Boulevards by the time construction of all the projects in the area are finished, a streetcar line along this streeet will not be redundant in the slightest.

...or, we could just run TTC trains (or hell, even streetcars) in the already-existing rail corridor that runs through or within spitting distance of virtually all of these developments before continuing to pass the King/Queen and College/Dundas triangles, the intermodal hub at Dundas West, the Junction and finally Weston before coming within 1.5 KM of the airport.

But hey, that would make too much sense, right? Much better to re-invent the wheel to serve less people, slower.

more exciting stuff posted by skybean on SSC

Nov 14, 2007

2027471012_269d64a226_b.jpg

1009947475_d223578d76_b.jpg

The CN tower sure does look patriotic in that last shot!

I love Cityplace - what its attempting and what it should achieve will be excellent for this area of the city. Residential, commercial, institutional, parkland, connecting bridges, under-Gardiner development...the list goes on

Way to go Li Ka Shing!

...or, we could just run TTC trains (or hell, even streetcars) in the already-existing rail corridor that runs through or within spitting distance of virtually all of these developments before continuing to pass the King/Queen and College/Dundas triangles, the intermodal hub at Dundas West, the Junction and finally Weston before coming within 1.5 KM of the airport.

No, no! Remember: all airport-bound passengers are supposed to take the St. Clair streetcar all the way to, I think, Scarlet, where it will then take a circuitious and expensive path to get to the airport. Or, at least so we hope, because knowing the TTC, the airport station will be a badly marked stop somewhere out on Airport road with duct tape signs pointing you to the people mover at the Long-term parking lot.

But hey, that would make too much sense, right? Much better to re-invent the wheel to serve less people, slower.

I like that. "Serving less people, slower" should be the official motto of the Toronto Transit Commission.

Obviously a newbie not familiar with the area or the raging debate around it.

Newbie? And how would one justify this claim? You truly believe that in one post you can both claim that you know something most don't about said 'debate,' and that I am ill informed? Believe me, what I know or claim to know is based upon further research and further thought about the future of Toronto's built environment.

I believe Cityplace will succeed because for the various reasons I and others have stated in countless posts preceding this one. I'm not even going to bother re-listing them. Your trite characterization of my opinion concerning Cityplace's success is lame and just uncalled for.

I thought he was trying to be slightly ironic calling you a newbie, while your status is clearly marked member and his is marked newbie... maybe I am wrong.

A bridge too far leaves CityPlace owners in limbo

http://www.thestar.com/article/288615
Dec 29, 2007 04:30 Am
SARAH BARMAK
SPECIAL TO THE STAR
Delays in building a bridge across the railway lands have made 2,200 condo buyers at CityPlace reluctant renters and raised the hackles of developers and city officials.

The bridge's completion is a requirement imposed by the city of Toronto for CityPlace to register its N1, N2, West One and Gallery condo towers, which sit in a block west of Spadina Ave. and south of Fort York Blvd. "We've got people moved in on one of our blocks, and they want to financially close and become owners and not tenants," says Alan Vihant, a vice-president at developer Concord Adex, which has agreed to finance the bridge.

The mess has infuriated local city councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina), who says GO Transit – which must approve the bridge design – has rejected every proposed version of the bridge's support system.

"They're doing everything in their power to be obstructionist," Vaughan says. "Yes, their responsibility is to deliver transit services, but they have a role to play in helping us build the city. It's not fair. They don't care whether 2,200 people can live in their building."

The bridge at Portland St., east of Bathurst St., would link neighbourhoods north of Front St. to CityPlace and the waterfront, providing a path for pedestrians, joggers, cyclists, shoppers and tourists.

The bridge is one of the community improvements Concord Adex must make in order to develop the area south of the rail tracks. The developer must finance and build the bridge, with the city taking ownership on completion.

Vaughan says the bridge is an important project in his ward and will play an essential role in renewing the waterfront "in a way that's built on a pedestrian scale."

Dan Francey, GO Transit's manager of transportation planning and development, says that while talks are progressing, it is up to the city to either agree to a design that works for GO or scrap the bridge idea entirely. The existing plan, which calls for a supporting column near the rails, could interfere with the sightlines for train signals, Francey says.

"We haven't seen a version that works for our future plans or our flexibility," he says, adding that GO has proposed a clear-span (no supporting columns) design, an idea that doesn't seem to work for either Concord Adex or the city.

"That's ridiculous," Vaughan says. "They know the only way to build a clear-span bridge is to shut down service for three to four months. They won't let that happen."

While Vihant says the clear-span idea is "completely unacceptable," he doesn't think the city is doing enough to help his 2,200 residents who are caught in limbo. He wants the condos registered now and the bridge made a requirement for future development.

"The obligation to get approval to build that bridge is the city of Toronto's," Vihant says. "GO is saying, `we want more time.' We've offered up a solution that goes like this: Allow this existing block of developments to be closed and we will resolve matters on the next block."

Concord Adex can appeal to the OMB on the matter, a road that Vihant says it will take if it must.

The delay has been a pain for residents, many of whom moved in months ago and don't know how much longer they'll be paying interim occupancy fees.

For sisters Melissa and Carolyn Lawrence, 26 and 25, respectively, who moved into their N1 shared condo on the earliest date they could, Oct. 1, "it sucks ... we're paying a phantom mortgage."

They said they lost a plum 4.6 per cent interest rate on a mortgage in May when they failed to take ownership. They currently pay a combined $1,690 per month in fees.

"It's great that the city wants this beautiful thing," Melissa Lawrence says. "But if it wasn't for us, they wouldn't even be able to have a bridge."

Back