News   Jul 08, 2024
 381     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 628     0 

CityPlace: West One

wow, shitty deal all around. Looks like some sort of arbitration will have to solve the problem. If GO's complaint is that bridge supports will block the train signal lights, maybe they just need to put additional ones on either side of the bridge supports... seems fairly straight forward.

Vaughan is such a class act... his solution is to pass on this mess to the next project... nice. I believe Neo is targeted for completion in May 2008. Not sure how long it takes to build a bridge but... come on!?

This is nonsense. I suspect Concord just doesn't want to cough up the bucks to solve this issue immediately.

It's only 300 feet across the corridor so no "supports" are needed at all... a cable-stayed bridge can be constructed right across the gap using cantilevered construction (tower first, then.... piece of deck and tension cables... repeat).

alamillo1.jpg

222_thumb.jpg

ya, I like the idea of the cable-stayed bridge! It would give the additional bonus of the public art / sculptural element as well as being functional and solving this problem. Just my guess, but going that route is probably 3 - 5 times the cost of a standard bridge with supports....

It would be interesting to see a bridge to up in the same style as the public art component in between West One and N1; the thing at the top of the stairs...

It would be a very Piranesi-esque structure to be sure!

This is nonsense. I suspect Concord just doesn't want to cough up the bucks to solve this issue immediately.

It's only 300 feet across the corridor so no "supports" are needed at all... a cable-stayed bridge can be constructed right across the gap using cantilevered construction (tower first, then.... piece of deck and tension cables... repeat).
But part of the problem is that it would interrupt GO Train schedules. Not because the build-out of a cable-stayed bridge would physically get in the way, but the way things are overprotected around here.... well.. think fences at water's edge.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to build a pedestrian bridge across spadina? I once heard a rumor about this. Would make sense to have it where the linear park currently is to continue the path...

^ We could also use one midway between King and Front, to connect Clarence Square with the continuation of Wellington St.

861ffdf338f54592bb3550ddde570580_prefRes.gif

Well somehow we managed to afford a handsome bridge with a clear span of 100 metres over the Humber River.

Maybe Olga (Erickson Air-Crane's S-64 helicopter-formerly Sikorsky) can drop pre-assembled pieces of the arch into place (CN Tower redux).

presskit_photo_Archives_03_thumb.jpg

We do have beautiful bridges in this city. The aforementioned Humber Bay Arch Bridge and the Amsterdam Bridge at Harborfront evidence this with their evocative and striking designs. Even the Lakeshore Boulevard Bailey Bridge can be argued for as an excellent example of military engineering in all of its prefabricated steel-truss glory.

I am hopeful that Cityplace and the City will push for something more interesting even if it does cost a little more; especially since many in the planning department are hopeful that Cityplace will link the core with the lakefront and all the Fort York development.

Back