News   Jul 15, 2024
 589     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 748     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 599     0 

City Reports 2007

jayo:

The site in question is just beyond the West Don Lands boundaries.

AoD

scarberian:

Yeah, but that one is another tower in the tower in the park kind of infill; the Finch + Sentinel project actually foresee the midrises to go right against the edge of the arterial road.

AoD

45 Charles East is kind of interesting. The top could turn out very badly though.

The model which shows it next to Casa makes me wonder why they didn't go higher.

Also, check out the balconies on the 55 Mill towers, they seem Absolute-esque. Maybe aA are moving from Toronto-style to Mississauga-style?

Although I preferred the previous design for 151 Front St., the current proposal still looks pretty good. I like the way they cantilevered the new tower over the existing building.

I noticed that too. Its not all that clear, on an aesthetic level, why the otherwise very 'square' building would have these 'waves' going on with the balconies (and how they relate to the district or the present condo, Pride of Spirit (or whatever)).

All the new relevant renderings and heights have been updated to the '400' list. Quick recap

151 Front has gone up to 566 ft.
The 55 Mill Towers (including mechanical) are 509ft & 433 ft.

"Maybe aA are moving from Toronto-style to Mississauga-style?"

Perhaps they find the style...a-Peel-ing?

I’m really pleased by the community contribution that the 151 Front Street is proposing.

Finally, city staff has come around to acknowledging the fact that Front Street is a chaotic mess and a totally embarrassment to the thousands of visitors who walk this route daily!

$1 million is being spent on streetscaping improvements to Front Street from University to Spadina. Simcoe Street from University to King Street and University Avenue from Front to King Street.

Furthermore, $350,000 will be spent for weather protection and improvement for four at grade TTC stairways at St. Andrew Station. Apparently signage is missing at theses entrances? Also, I’ve always wondered why the TTC didn’t provide weather protection to all its staircases?

I’m also pleased by Cycling Infrastructure and Green Roof requirements for the building.

Re: 55 Mill.

I hate it. The proposed height of the building is totally out of scale from its surroundings. I don’t understand why this beautiful urban neighbourhood has to be surrounded by butt ugly high priced condominiums? I was even opposed to the Pure Spirits Condos or whatever it is called that is going up.

Also, I know there has always been a long term plan to building a Cherry Street GO Train Station. No mention of that anywhere in the report.

Louroz

I was even opposed to the Pure Spirits Condos or whatever it is called that is going up.

I agree with you there! Pure Spirit is just too tall and too close to the old Gooderham and Worts property itself. A bit farther back towards Front or on the other side or Parliament would be much better.

55 Mill will just box this unique place in (literally). Should be at least on the other side of Cherry and shorter. I feel these two condos will ruin the area, which the condos on the north side of Mill do not do.

Office building w/ non-profit agencies, Wellesley Institute, etc.

AoD

AoD: the second North York hyperlink is the same as the Finch/Sentinel one. (I quite like the intensification proposed for that site.)

45 Charles: The existing structure is a rather interesting brutalist building (if I remember correctly) designed by Macy Dubois in the 60s or 70s. Its diagonal elements are repeated in the Page & Steele design that is proposed to replace it. I rather like this one and think it would be a shame to lose it. It's not on TOBuilt.ca, but I think merits inclusion, especially if it is about to be relegated to history.

Old Mill Expansion: Faux Chateau. Can't they keep their hysterical historical references in line with the Mock Tudor/English Cottage thing going on across the street? This is not EPCOT people! One faked-up old-world country at a time please!

wannabe arbiter of taste 42

spm:

I found the 40s to be a little bit too close to the core of the district; I would prefer a 10s or so tower there, and the 48s tower pushed to the very eastern edge of the site, right against the railtracks.

AoD

Back