News   Jul 12, 2024
 798     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 727     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 305     0 

CATHEDRAL SQUARE - fictional piazza concept

Hoepfully it will go somewhere. Such a project would make a huge contribution to the continued revitalisation of the "Lower east side".

East of Yonge is a challenge... particularly for any "grand vision". Nonetheless, a minor revolution is underway that might make Cathedral Square (or something like it) a viable proposition.

SNAPSHOT-CATHSQUARE.jpg

Well great job as always. I live and work in the area and am excited by all of this. And your proposal sits at the heart of it and would make a huge difference to the area.

I support your idea 3D. I know Kyle pretty well. lemme know if you need me to give him a little nudge.

Thanks HiRiser. I've had lots of contact on this from his office via his EA Michael. Apparently they both are quite taken with the concept. Supposedly we will meet and chat next week (Kyle's been away).

But nudge away...!

Wow, I'm surprised people are actually looking at it. Not to knock your idea. It's great. Just didn't expect it to go this far. Good luck. Show them your other ideas as well.

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere (if it was I missed it)... it would be fantastic if a neighbourhood could be built on the armoury site (and a terrific one-two with Cathedral Square).

MOSS APPEAL
http://www.thestar.com/article/346292

Very interesting idea, this Cathedral Square. Something significant and visionary should definitely be done with this massive site at such a prominent location. I applaud your efforts, 3D!

3D, you must take a stab at a 'Soho Square' for Queen Street. Come on, you could be city's visionary 'Haussmann'.

This city certainly needs visionaries. And this proposal is an enticing vision. I really, really hope this idea gets kickstarted. I feel like opening a poll for this Cathedral Square concept. I'd make it public to see who votes against it lol.

Thanks for the comments.

Feel free to email Kyle your support for the idea.... still waiting for my long-promised meeting!

As a courtesy, I spoke with David Pontarini (the architect of record for the stalled 2004 three building proposal).

He didn't mind the intrusion at all and seemed genuinely interested in the "rethink". I also sent him most the stuff from this thread. David confirmed that the owners tried to sell the site (without success)... so it's available for the right price.

Let's face it, most potential buyers are intimidated by the "socio-economic challenges of the area. But a new hotel around the corner plus the possibility of a new neighbourhood built on the armoury site.... things are definitely looking up.

Back