News   Aug 28, 2024
 87     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 302     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 374     0 

Candidates and their subway plans... The Star tells you which one is more credible

Which Subway/Transit plan do you support

• Sarah Thomson

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Rocco Rossi

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Joe Pantalone

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • George Smitherman

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Rob Ford

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
Again stop crying because you or SOS can't make any progress with elected officials on you plan that Steve Munro shredded! SOS has been talking so much since last November and has yet to do anything spectacular.

Why do much when most of the mayoral candidates are putting forward 70%+ of our vision. It's wasted effort really.

And again, we never started out as a group targeting politicians. We've been strict on this. We aim to inform the public. We won't be endorsing any candidate either.

It's nice that you hide behind Steve, but even he won't have much to crow about unless Pantalone wins.

I don't hide behind Steve. At this time, his idea regarding building LRTs are the way to go

I'm generally with the LRTista's (I fucking hate that derogatory, oversimplified glen-beckism btw), but you're being an idiot, and making all TC supporters look bad. Please stop.
There are logical arguments to be made for most TC lines (not so sure about the currently planned SELRT), but your nonsensical ramblings are damaging our credibility. You're becoming the Rob Ford to our conservative movement. Please go away so the grown-ups can talk.

The real threat to the other candidates are their weak platforms. They are screwing themselves without Pantalone saying anything. Pantalone should keep smiling, say nothing and allow the others to eat each other alive (like Smitherman versus Ford)

Giorgio and Pantalone are fading from memory as I type this... too bad they are still collecting their publically funded paycheques until the end of the year while 'participating' in these pointless 'debates'. They are so out to lunch their constituents should be ashamed at themselves for re-electing them so many times.

Way to pick a winner, Juan. :rolleyes:

I'm generally with the LRTista's (I fucking hate that derogatory, oversimplified glen-beckism btw), but you're being an idiot, and making all TC supporters look bad. Please stop.
There are logical arguments to be made for most TC lines (not so sure about the currently planned SELRT), but your nonsensical ramblings are damaging our credibility. You're becoming the Rob Ford to our conservative movement. Please go away so the grown-ups can talk.

Leave him be. For what it's worth some of the Anti-TC crowd is worse. I assume you have read Fresh Start's and Laz's posts. For all of Juan's jokingl, he had posted quite a bit of credible stuff in the past. And let's face it, this argument has been going in circles for a while now. We know the current funded parts of TC will be built regardless of what Sarah Thomson, Rob Ford, or Rocco Rossi say. The latest poll from the papers showed Joe Pantalone is currently 3rd, with Rossi 4th, and Thomson a distant 5th.

For a guy who who hasn't revealed a platform yet, he is doing pretty well.

Last edited:
Please go away so the grown-ups can talk.

NO! :p

BTW...how can you talk to SOS like a grown up when they act like little babies? It is not as though we are never getting anymore subways...it is just that they would not be built in the immediate future. There is absolutely no demand for things such as a Sheppard Subway extension east of Don Mills so why argue like a school girl for it to happen tomorrow?

There is no sense in having a grown up debate with these people who are saying TC sucks before anything happens. Complain about the SELRT in 2014...not 2010

Last edited:
Don't feed the trolls. Everyone has their opinion for a reason. Maybe try to figure out and accept or change that reason, rather than insulting people.

There are legitimate complaints that should be aired, heard, and addressed. Then there are dogmatic alligations that just cloud the issue.

I agree with Juan that given the dismal state of City, Provincial, AND Federal budgets and without new deticated funding (1% on the HST?) and given the funding already spent and deticated, a new subway line is not going to start construction before 2015 (when we almost are in the black, LOL).

IMHO, the main bright spot from TC is the CBM Metrolinx is buying for Eglington. Once they have a tunneler, the incremental costs for new subway lines gets a significant rebate. We need a network that feeds and well as a network that moves. That's how I see TC vs SOS: we need both and we're hobbling along as best we can.

Leave him be. For what it's worth some of the Anti-TC crowd is worse. I assume you have read Fresh Start's and Laz's posts. For all of Juan's jokingl, he had posted quite a bit of credible stuff in the past. And let's face it, this argument has been going in circles for a while now. We know the current funded parts of TC will be built regardless of what Sarah Thomson, Rob Ford, or Rocco Rossi say. The latest poll from the papers showed Joe Pantalone is currently 3rd, with Rossi 4th, and Thomson a distant 5th.

You know you keep bringing up how certain lines are "already funded and construction is ready to begin" as if there's no turning back. Ironically I seem to recall mayor Miller not having a problem with canceling the island airport bridge, which was approved and construction ready to begin. Miller ran on a platform of eliminating the bridge so, right or wrong, I can't imagine why a candidate running on a platform to cancel TC (including those lines that are funded) would not follow through once elected.

Seems only Miller is allowed to halt (at the expense of millions of dollars) capital projects.

Last edited:
NO! :p

BTW...how can you talk to SOS like a grown up when they act like little babies? It is not as though we are never getting anymore subways...it is just that they would not be built in the immediate future. There is absolutely no demand for things such as a Sheppard Subway extension east of Don Mills so why argue like a school girl for it to happen tomorrow?

There is no sense in having a grown up debate with these people who are saying TC sucks before anything happens. Complain about the SELRT in 2014...not 2010
So you're willing to gamble $1 billion with a technology on a corridor that many people think should be subway, was cleared to be subway 10 years ago, and already has a subway along half of it anyways? If you're going to see if TC's going to work (and the actual TC rather than St. Clair which according to you guys is totally unrelated,) do it on a route that we can agree would actually do quite well with LRT, like Finch West.

How many times does it have to be said that 10 years ago, Sheppard had the demand for subway. The current Sheppard subway does way better than subway lines in other cities that are 3 times as long as it is. The big reason why it's such a "flop" is that it's only gone 1/2 of the distance it was supposed to.

As for your point Mapleson, SOS has proved that we can get a significant amount of subway for what's being bought with TC. All that needs to happen is have that funding rerouted. And as many SOS members have said before, we'd rather wait 5 years for Sheppard to be rightfully extended, rather than have it permanently stopped at Don Mills or require replacing a $1 billion boondoggle 10 years down the road.

The latest poll from the papers showed Joe Pantalone is currently 3rd, with Rossi 4th, and Thomson a distant 5th.

Can you post a link? I'd like to see the numbers. There's a difference between between being a close third and a distant third. Especially in municipal politics.

Is there anybody who does not know what his transit platform is? He doesn't need to reveal anything. He's pretty much made it clear that he's running as the status quo candidate. He's Miller 2.0.

You know you keep bringing up how certain lines are "already funded and construction is ready to begin" as if there's no turning back. Ironically I seem to recall mayor Miller not having a problem with canceling the island airport bridge, which was approved and construction ready to begin. Miller ran on a platform of eliminating the bridge so, right or wrong, I can't imagine why a candidate running on a platform to cancel TC (including those lines that are funded) would not follow through once elected.

Seems only Miller is allowed to halt (at the expense of millions of dollars) capital projects.

Not just Miller. The Ottawa precedent shows that both the province and the feds are willing to allow municipalities to cancel contracts and reneg funding commitments and even re-negotiate for higher amounts if the plans make sense and their concerns are addressed.

For example, what if a new mayor promised Metrolinx a lot more say, would they not be willing to play ball, if they got the lead on transit planning?

As they say, "Never say never."

Even right now, construction has not started in earnest. All they are really doing is the Agincourt grade-separation, which was needed regardless. I would venture to say that a cancellation would not cost more than what the city paid for Miller to keep his election promise on cancelling the bridge.

That being said, I think anybody's outright pledged to cancel the SELRT, though several don't seem to count it on their maps (intepret that as you wish). The rest of Transit City is definitely up for debate though.

Can you post a link? I'd like to see the numbers. There's a difference between between being a close third and a distant third. Especially in municipal politics.

Again...it is only June and there is plenty of time for candidates to move up and down in the polls.

Is there anybody who does not know what his transit platform is? He doesn't need to reveal anything. He's pretty much made it clear that he's running as the status quo candidate. He's Miller 2.0.

yet Pantalone is ahead of three platforms that are different from Miller. Interesting!

The media only chooses to focus on the negatives though, which is why it's harder for some to fully comprehend his platform.

His platform right now consists entirely of making the TTC an essential service - which will increase costs.
http://www.robfordformayor.ca/issues/

Show me where expediting subway construction is in his "platform".

Back